Sportbike World banner

I'm a new rider (5'11, 285)

975 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  manderso 
#1 ·
First time on the forum. Hello All,

Question, I have read through the forum about new riders not getting bigger bikes, but what about size and wieght?. I'm a pretty solid dude (Used to play college football). I know my wieght will alter how much power the bike puts out and I don't want to get something to weak. I used to ride dirt bikes alot as a kid so I know how to handle a bike.

What should my first bike be considering my size and the fact that I do have riding experience (On dirt bikes that is). I'm 25 years old with a lot of respect for bikes so I'm not going to be the fast and furious type, but I do want something with a nice growl to it. I am going to take the Beginner Class and get advanced training before hand so that I know what I'm doing. I like Italian bikes and I got a little money to burn, so what about a Aprilia?

Suggestions...

Thanks,

manderso

#2 ·
Welcome!

We are about the same size (I'm 5'11 1/2", 275) and about the same age (I'm 26). I've ridden everything from turbo charged busas (upwards of 200hp), to 125cc Aprillias.

By far, the most fun I've ever had riding were on 250's. The Aprillia RS250 is a BLAST to ride. It flicks over into a corner like nothing you've ever felt.

Anyone can ride a big bike fast. It takes REAL talent to ride a small bike fast.

For day to day riding around town, you will probably outgrow the 250 pretty quick. Especially given that you have some experience, you might consider going for a non-race replica 600, such as the YZF600, or the ZX6D. Buy a used one. You will probably crash it, so buy good gear as well. You'll know when your ready to get rid of that bike and go for a real money burner.

No one looks down on a rider for making a responsible decision about entering the sport, so don't feel compelled to have the biggest baddest bike on the street for your first year.

#4 ·
I'll take the other side. Most bike have about the same wheelbase and seat height, so the only thing you can do to get a larger sportbike for your body size is choose a non-race version like the mentioned YZF or katana. These bikes don't have you crammed over the tank as much.

If you have been riding a dirtbike for awhile and have some common sense ( I guess you do). I would advise a bike larger than 600, because maybe not at first, but after riding for a couple months you will want more power.

#5 ·
I bought a 02 gsxr 750 for my first bike at 6' 285lbs. with a big ass belly not muscle. I loved it. You have to learn how to prop yourself up with your back muscles and your legs apposed to your arms and wrists. I am glad I got something a little bigger because I got used to the power really quick, however, you must respect it and do not loose concentration for one second. If you come out of a corner to quick and goose the throttle on accident you will send the rear end out.

I do not like to piss around with buying and selling over and over again. So I got what I wanted the first time, took it slow, read these forums and listened to many of wise advise. Obvioulsy not paying attention to the "start small" crap. But, that does make you think real hard about it and it makes you look at yourself from the inside and you think - what is important - having the best bike around or staying alive to enjoy it and you family.

The worst thing I would have to say about the race replicas are IF you have a belly it WILL sit on the tank, but you can adapt. For one season I still have not seen anyone as fat as me on a sport bike. Maybe thats why my ride got stolen!

I'm going even stupider by getting a R1 for my next! It is just so damn comfertable to sit on. :laughing:

#6 · (Edited)
IMO, there's no point in getting a big bike if you can't handle it properly, or use its nuts-wrenching power. If you can use it, get a Busa or literbike, more power to you. If you can't use it, this where you'll understand why MANY experienced riders and track junkies advise on "starting small crap". If you're in the middle and doubt yourself whether you can use 120-160+ RWHP or not, that's when you hit the pavement or crash.

Big bikes are very sensitive and will break or spin out the rear tire if you use too much throttle or close the throttle and back on again (the difference is very small) during leans or turns. This isn't just newbie mistakes, even experienced riders have to know exactly what they're doing 100% of the time, and sometimes they have to feather the clutch. With small bikes (600s and below), they're relatively forgiving, and most of them won't spin out the rear tire in lean, unless the bike is overrevved or the tires are cold. Literbikes will spin out the tire even while going straight, and they'd wheelie in almost every gear.

#7 ·
Kevlar7R said:
Welcome!

We are about the same size (I'm 5'11 1/2", 275) and about the same age (I'm 26). I've ridden everything from turbo charged busas (upwards of 200hp), to 125cc Aprillias.

By far, the most fun I've ever had riding were on 250's. The Aprillia RS250 is a BLAST to ride. It flicks over into a corner like nothing you've ever felt.

Anyone can ride a big bike fast. It takes REAL talent to ride a small bike fast.

For day to day riding around town, you will probably outgrow the 250 pretty quick. Especially given that you have some experience, you might consider going for a non-race replica 600, such as the YZF600, or the ZX6D. Buy a used one. You will probably crash it, so buy good gear as well. You'll know when your ready to get rid of that bike and go for a real money burner.

No one looks down on a rider for making a responsible decision about entering the sport, so don't feel compelled to have the biggest baddest bike on the street for your first year.

Well Kev offered up some good advice, I'll go a step further and say that I'd add a bike like the SV 650 in the mix, a Blast to ride, makes about 70 hp...and is pretty comfy for even the big guys, i.e. my son sat on a few of them, and he's 6'6" at 275 lbs..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.