Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums - View Single Post - V-Rod finished last
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 06:09 PM
sidewaysducati

Quote:
Originally posted by sfarson
Those paying $16K now for V-Rods love their bikes. I go to H-D forums and they are smitten.
This not all that huge a revelation. The vast majority of Harley owners love their bikes.(Oddly enough)

Quote:
As for the positioning of the V-Rod, around 15,000 V-Rods were sold in the U.S. in '03. This is more than all BMWs combined, all Triumphs, Ducatis and Aprilias combined.
The V-Rod is the #1 selling Harley overseas and has opened the brand to many in other countries.
50 million smokers can't be wrong.

Quote:
I'm noting posts all the time from people wishing the engine would be in a different chassis. This engine, and who cares if it came from the VR platform, is outstanding with all kinds of potential built-in. As for reliability, if you think the TC88 engine is unreliable you need to update your database.
With what information would I update my database? Where is the proof provided by an unbiased, objective source, that this motor is any more reliable than any of the other motors H.D. has produced?

Quote:
The market dwarfs that for sportbikes, and it is growing, while the sportbike market is flat or is declining in many countries (esp Europe). Harley is pursuing a great strategy, delivering a great product (air-cooled and now water-cooled) in the biggest subcategory (cruising) and fastest growing (cruising).
Again, is there an objective source from which you retrieved this data?

Quote:
From Motorcycle Consumer News on the Deuce:

Unlike Harleys of the past, these Softails go, turn and stop well -- not just "for Harleys," but just plain well.
At a time when Japanese sportbikes are upping the performance ante beyond our wildest dreams, it's a shame that its cruisers have been dumbed down almost beyond recognition. And it's nice to see a bike like the Deuce. It offers all the styling and resale value Milwaukee is famous for while putting its Japanese competition to shame in an arena they otherwise dominate.
So pick up the ball Japan. If you thought that cruiser riders only cared about looks, Harley-Davidson is a step ahead of you... again."
So far, you're 1 for 4 on sources.

-----
And before you dismiss me as a sportbike-only-squid-kracker, let me assure you, I have arrived at my convictions about Harleys as a result of witnessing first hand a good deal of Harley owners (3 of which I know personally) get put through hell trying to keep thier overpriced bikes on the road.

A few posts you claim to have seen, on an H.D. forum, no less, does not a good argument make.

Last edited by sidewaysducati; 12-19-2004 at 06:14 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome