Adios, BMW. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy

This weekend I sold my BMW boxer. It was a mixed blessing, to say the least. A very nice bike, great ride, super suspension, awesome brakes, the world's best hard bags. The flip side--serious lean surging (that I finally fixed), a fuel injection problem that caused repeated stalling, more buffeting and vibration than I expected, and less than nimble handling, primarily due to weight. I enjoyed the bike and I'm glad I had one, but the Japanese just can't be beat in value for the money or sportbike technology. The FI system on my F4i is perfect, in comparison. Live and learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 04:05 PM

Just out of curiosity, which Boxer did you have? It seems they all have surging problems to one extent or another, but the worst part is that the newer ones aren't necessarily better. I would give BMW credit for trying if they were gradually getting it right, but I sometimes think they want the rider to adjust to the bike, rather than refine the bike to meet riders' needs, because if it came from the BMW factory that way, it must be right!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

I had an R1100R. There were a lot of things I liked about the bike, but I don't understand why a company with their expertise builds bikes with these fuel injection faults. They sure don't have any problems with their cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode