Ducati, MV Augusta, Aprilla... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2001, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Hello,

I am currently playing with the idea of buying a European sportbike in a couple years. I am considering one of the European models. These bikes have always thrilled me with there design and stature. I also know that they are considered pretty good bikes.

I currently ride a 900RR and I have no problems with it at all. I think it is a wonderful machine and it does absolutely everything that I need it to do. But I have this calling to one day own a Ducati or Aprilla or gee... maybe an MV Augusta.

What I would like to know is if any of these bikes are good for daily driving. I also like to take trips and I know that these are not touring bikes. (I am not concerned with the cramped positioning) But what I want to know is if these bikes are reliable enough to take on two or three day trips. What about the service intervals? Are Ducatis still required to do the 6K or so valve adjustment? How about the others?

Price is not a major concern since I plan to purchase used in a few years. I would just like to know what the real riders out there have to say about these bikes. Any information or comments are very much welcomed. Your comments will certainly make a difference in my final decision.

Sincerely,

Michael
San Francisco, Ca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 12:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to lucifer Send a message via Yahoo to lucifer
First off how the hell did you get that huge ass avatar?
Seriously though I ride a 900SS daily and find it to be reasonably comfortable. it is a little lacking in the wind protection and fuel range though. I have done 400+ mile days and 2-3 day trips on it without a problem. The 748/996 is a whole nother story. grab your ankles and bend over... then decide if that would be comfortable for commuting.

There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright red, hunchback, warp-speed 900cc café racer is one of them -- but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous.
H.S.T.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by calspeed
Aprilla
It's Aprilia, not Aprilla. Don't worry, though, a lot of people get that wrong for some reason.

Quote:
I am currently playing with the idea of buying a European sportbike in a couple years. I am considering one of the European models.
Little redundant, don't ya' think?

If you've got balls of steel, or no balls at all (Honda owners ), you should be OK. I say this.... rather, I type this, because after riding a buddy's Duc 748, well.... let's just they they were a little num. That's probably just me, though. The guy rides it 20 miles to work everyday (on highways and in the city), and he says it's bearable. He's also done some touring, and aside from more frequent stops than on his previous R6, the bike works great. As far as reliability goes, I don't know about anybody else, but my bud hasn't had any problems with his.

Bleed green.

2001 ZX-9R and 1997 ZX-7R

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 06:00 PM

Thumbs up Falco!

I'll throw in a plug for my bike. For reasons unbeknownst to me, it is classified as a sport-tourer. If that is what they want to call it fine, but it leans VERY heavily towards the sport side. I have put in several 300-400 mile days and while it aint no Goldwing, it sure isn't a 748 either. I know several people who have fit one out with luggage and tour with it. It is reasonably comfortable (IMO moreso than your 900RR). As far as performance goes, I routinley lay waste to squids riding much more track oriented bikes like R6's and GSXR's (although, they are squids and I could probably take em' on my mountain bike). In other words, I beleive I've found the happy medium of a bike that performs very well on both the track and the road.

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 03:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to congo_grey
Quote:

But I have this calling to one day own a Ducati or Aprilla or gee... maybe an MV Augusta.

True like Spitfire says it is Aprilia. But, It is also MV Agusta (its a motorcycle not a town in Georgia) just kidding man I know what you mean. I am looking into the Aprilia Futura, of course it is a little to angular for some people but I love it. It is a sport tourer that has a lot of sport as well. It just depends on what you like all of them are works of art.

------------------------------------------
'The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.' - Albert Einstien
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 05:30 AM

Bwahahaha! I live in AUGUSTA, Georgia! I'm planning on buying a 748 in the next few weeks... believe me I'd much rather have the MV Agusta, but I can just imagine all the looks I'd get!

"Look at that idiot, he cant even spell Augusta correctly!"

M.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 04:13 PM

Contrary to what you may have heard, the MV Agusta is a great everyday bike. That's what mine is, and I have 3000 miles on it with no problems whatsoever. If you don't mind your wrist going numb from the pressure, I suppose it would be alright for a sport-touring bike. The seat doesn't bother me at all (and at 210 pounds, my ass ain't small!), but my right wrist goes numb after about 50 miles. If you can handle the ergonomics, I wouldn't worry at all about reliability. FYI, the valve adjustment schedule is every 12k miles, so no problem there either.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

Hey Slacker...

Thanks for the info. Even though I posted this question about a year ago I am still interested in the MV F4. I have since bought an RC51 which I totally love but one day I know I will go to the extreme exotic side. One day...

Miguel
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 09:21 AM

Hey Calspeed! Go get ya a MV Agusta, you won't be disappointed. I love mine! If only I had half the riding ability the bike is designed for...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 08:16 PM

How Much is it

How much is the MV Agusta anyways? It looks too dang expensive for an everyday rider. The other bikes aren't too bad! I've always wanted a Mille R.

JoeRocket[R1]
Go Joe!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode