Panther - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2001, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

alright, i looked at the tt600, the tl1000r, r6, couldnt find a duke, but this is really sparking my intrest. it a MuZ black panther, 660 single 50 HP, 58 ft lbs torque (yummy), yamaha 5 valve thumper motor with a msrp of $6200. on paper itll spank a duke2 and with the yamy motor should be a ton more reliable (even though the only thing stateside with this motor besides MZs is the raptor quad i believe). ive found two dealers locally so hopefully i can arrange a demo ride soon. i think this is going to fit me a little better than a full blown sportbike, aint nothin' in the world like a super motard for spankin the posers on the backroads. i have a friend who made one out of a cr250 and that thing 's like a ginsu knife. i guess you could say its the fastest way to go slow!

wheelies, stoppies, and burnys....oh my. this is going to be fun. there is going to be a buell track day in a month or so at road america, i might show up on this and see what happens.

I confess, Im a poser...................... every time i stop long enough for someone to see my bike!!!

Last edited by orchid; 02-21-2001 at 09:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2001, 11:13 AM
Squidwannabe

Quote:
Originally posted by orchid
there is going to be a buell track day in a month or so at road america, i might show up on this and see what happens. [/B]
Ya Im sure when you cut through the sandtraps to gain ground on everyone, They'll ban you for having an unfair advantage

I like the Scorpion more, But the Panther does Rock!

If you really want to spank the Buells the The new MZ 1000-S should fair well
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2001, 11:13 AM

I like it! That price sounds on par too.

I plan on getting a enduro when my son is old enough to ride his 50. Hopefully, I will be mature enough not to get in trouble with it by then.

"It's like Dancing sitting down. Squeeze-tap-release-twist. Left hand-right foot-left hand-right hand"
~James Patterson

Kyle J.-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2001, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

itll only be used about 1% on the track, but sliding it through the hairpins should be a sight to behold. it should make a great road weapon around my area since the road conditions pretty much suk around here. most sportbikes have to kind of tip toe through the turns but if we travel to some good roads ill get spanked. from what im hearing an m4 pipe and a jet kit makes this thing a scorcher. the all black with just the mz decals give it an evil look. as for the scopion, i really like the replica but i think there are only 16 of them in the states and ill be darned if i cant find one. the sport cup is "ok" but not much keeps it from being what it is- cheap. even the $ tag of the replica diminishes its appeal $10,000+ for a 660cc single sportbike w/50 hp. the panther caught my eye while looking for a ktm duke2, i havent found anything good about the duke though. there are some sites out there for duke enthusiast but theyve been abandoned since the webmasters seem to have all sold there dukes. it seems to follow an order of "they buy the bike and love it, have a couple of probs, and they sell it quickly", odd that no one owns one long enough to give a long term review of it. the yammy 5valve thumper that mz is using seems to be pretty good so im less fearful of the panther than i am of the duke, or the husky sm for that matter. as for enduros (dual sport) they have the "Baghira", which is the same bike as the panther but in off road trim instead of super motard gear.

here is a baghira someone turned into a motard

I confess, Im a poser...................... every time i stop long enough for someone to see my bike!!!

Last edited by orchid; 02-21-2001 at 12:03 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2001, 01:04 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
if you want a supermotard, wouldn't a yz426 yamaha be cheaper and a little stronger? i hear they sell kits to make them street-legal, check with a yamaha dealer.

just a thought. MuZ has a cool website. i thought about a scorpion racer.

activebike.com has a great article on a guy who did a trackday on a dual sportbike. you should read it.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2001, 02:05 PM

Question

Here's a dumb question but:

I'm guessing a "supermotard" is just a Enduro with sportbike tires? Is there more to it?

"It's like Dancing sitting down. Squeeze-tap-release-twist. Left hand-right foot-left hand-right hand"
~James Patterson

Kyle J.-
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2001, 02:07 PM
Resident Smartass

Quote:
Originally posted by cbrf2boy
if you want a supermotard, wouldn't a yz426 yamaha be cheaper and a little stronger? i hear they sell kits to make them street-legal, check with a yamaha dealer.

just a thought. MuZ has a cool website. i thought about a scorpion racer.

activebike.com has a great article on a guy who did a trackday on a dual sportbike. you should read it.
A 426 is only about a grand cheaper, and it'll set you back at least a couple thou to convert to 17" wheels and make it street legal (lighting, etc.). If you're gonna "roll your own" a 2-stroke MX bike is the way to go.

Suck mean people!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2001, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

if you were wanting a true supermotard fitting the road wheels to a dirtbike is the way to go. but i dont plan on taking it offroad so the long travel suspension of a modern dirtbike isnt needed. its also a hassle to get one approved for road use, it has to be inpected by a dealer and the dmv (i could only imagine trying to convince a DMV guy that the exhaust on a big 2 stroker is DOT approved! it'd still be funny to he his face though) it has been done, i know a guy (dont really know him, i just run into him on occasion) who has a registered cr250 motard bike.aprilia rs 250s can be registered here as well (illinois and ohio) ive seen them a couple of times. anyways baja designs sells kit to "legalize" just about anything and if big 2 strokes would start coming with oil injection so i wouldnt have to figure out how to mix gas every time i whip into a gas station, id be on it. the yz426 goes for $5995 around here so $6200 sounds like a bargain to me. as for the diff between a dual sport and a supermotard besides the wheels- not much if anything, the MZ and the KTM Duke do have more road oriented suspension.
ktm also makes a serious motard but doesnt sell it stateside. a true S/M bike will eat the duke, panther or the husky for lunch on a S/M track but for every day foolishness one of these 3 is the way to go.

Last edited by orchid; 02-21-2001 at 11:08 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2001, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

BTW, as if i dont have enough bikes to decide on, i just found a 98 748 bip w/5000 mi on it and arrow pipes &fbf chip, in perfect shape for $7000. my wife's gonna kill me!!!!!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2001, 03:18 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan

A 426 is only about a grand cheaper, and it'll set you back at least a couple thou to convert to 17" wheels and make it street legal (lighting, etc.). If you're gonna "roll your own" a 2-stroke MX bike is the way to go.
like orchid said mixing oil and gas at the gas station would be a serious pain. and with the 426 you may have to buy 17's which won't be cheap, but you can convert it back to a hard-core dirtbike for when the need hits.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode