Steve Scheibe gone from VR1000! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to JDM1200
Courtesy AMA Superbike News. By Dean Adams
Although Steve Scheibe is at Laguna Seca this week with the Harley-Davidson Superbike team, he no longer works for Harley-Davidson. Scheibe was the team's manager.

Scheibe has had an instrumental role in the VR1000 project, almost from the beginning. A former engineer at Roush Racing, Scheibe was hired to head the VR project and manage the race team by former Harley-Davidson VP Mark Tuttle. Scheibe prior to that was a motorcycle club racer but had never worked on a motorcycle project before, other than the work he did at Roush on the VR. He managed the team from its debut at Daytona in 1994 until this past Monday, when he left the company.

Scheibe's current and future plans are unknown; it's also unknown as to why he's at the test at Laguna if he no longer works for Harley-Davidson. Harley sources say he is there just to see how things are going.

The VR1000 program will long have the stamp of Scheibe upon it. His college friend Pete Mohar owns and runs Gemini Technology Systems, which is the contracted vendor for much of Harley's roadrace operations and presumably some of the development of the VR.

Scheibe was as frustrated as anyone with the poor results of the VR squad over the last two or three seasons and that, coupled with his tumultuous relationship with several key people at Harley-Davidson probably resulted in his leaving the team.

Harley's Director of Racing, John Baker, will oversee the team for the time being.

Ride the Pace,
JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 05:57 PM

Pardon me if I've said this here before and I'm repeating myself, but from a business standpoint, I just DO NOT UNDERSTAND Harley's race program. Why do companies race? To improve the image of the brand and for the "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday" spillover.

Harley gets neither (and I'm not blaming Steve Scheibe here). Its racing program reinforces the WORST aspects of the brand by supporting the poor engineering rap on the company and it can't sell on Monday because it has nothing like what it races on Sunday.

IMO, H-D should either invest the necessary capital into the team to make it competitive (they have the cash), put a Buell badge on the bike and, as soon as possible, sell something similar in the showrooms, or else pull the plug. No racing program is better than one that inspires jokes and/or pity from the folks in the grandstand.

Rant mode now off. Opposing (or agreeing) viewpoints welcome.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 05:08 AM
Super Mod

I have to agree with Moto.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 07:13 AM
Pete

Quote:
Originally posted by motociclista
Pardon me if I've said this here before and I'm repeating myself,
O.K., you're pardoned.

Quote:
No racing program is better than one that inspires jokes and/or pity from the folks in the grandstand.
Did you actually mean to say "No racing program is worse...?" If so, I agree with what you have stated.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to JDM1200
I agree, something has to be done. Their barely ahead of the privateers, and Ducati! lol

Ride the Pace,
JD
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 08:19 AM

Quote:
No racing program is better than one that inspires jokes and/or pity from the folks in the grandstand.
Did you actually mean to say "No racing program is worse...?" If so, I agree with what you have stated. [/B][/QUOTE]

Poor wording on my part. What I meant was that having NO racing program is better than having a terrible one.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 09:57 AM
Pete

Quote:
Poor wording on my part. What I meant was that having NO racing program is better than having a terrible one.

Got it. Thanks, and I agree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode