BMW Model Plans - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

While speaking with a BMW USA rep at the recent Cycle World International Motorcycle Show in San Rafael, CA, I got a sketchy outline of BMW's plans to update the R line.

I told her I'm holding out for an R1150RS. The S model isn't a proper sport touring bike in my estimation. My Triumph Sprint RS does everything the R1100S does, and better. The RT has too many gizmos for my taste. I don't want a stereo on my bike. Hell, if I did I'd be a moderator over at loungechairworld.com or some such place. I can even live without the nifty electrically adjustable windscreen. Nope. What I want is an R1150RS with a proper six-speed tranny and updated ABS, like the R1150R will have next spring.

The BMW USA rep basically told me not to hold my breath. BMW plans to release an R1150RT, then an R1150S, before working on a new R1150RS. I realize BMW is a small company, but this is disappointing news. My 1993 R100R isn't exactly a road burner, what with only 60 HP at the crank, and the transmission reminds of the tractors I drove on ranches in Texas when I was a kid.

I was hoping to give the R100R to my son next year and buy a newer BMW as my daily ride. The R1150R is certainly a major improvement over the R100R, and even over the current R1100R. But living in California means I need a good fairing on the bike to keep fog, wind, and rain off my torso. If I get an R1150R then I'll need something like a Parabellum fairing. Not a bad option, but not my first choice either.

Ah, decisions. Get something I'll need to modify, or buy my son something else and wait two to three years to see what BMW does with the RS model. Or, horrors, buy another brand when I give the carbon descendant my R100R.

The Sprint RS is looking more like my next daily ride. That'll leave me with the decision of what to get for a track bike.

[Edited by photobug on 12-07-2000 at 10:44 PM]

"In my opinion, there's nothing in this world/
Beats a '52 Vincent, and a red headed girl."
Richard Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 02:48 PM
Resident Smartass

Buy another brand! Come to the dark side- muh ha ha.....

Suck mean people!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 03:46 PM
Squid

Send a message via AIM to jk6672
Buy a goldwing and get the optional airbag installed j/k
If your thinking about it then the bike doesn't reach out and grab you. Maybe you should just wait a few years and see what they come up with. JMO

John

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

You both raise good points, except for the Gold Wing idea. I'm not ready to be that old.

The price of the R1150R will have a lot to do with my decision . If the base model without ABS sells for $8995 like the current R1100R I'll be tempted to buy one, then add a fairing and lower bars. If it's $10,995, then other brands will start looking more attractive.

I could turn the Sprint RS into my street bike, give the R100R to my son, and buy a real track bike. It wouldn't even have to be street legal, or new for that matter. But the 600cc sport bikes are awfully good these days. Wonder if I can talk a couple of dealers into bringing some to Laguna Seca for me to test? Just a thought.

Richard Thompson
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 02:21 PM
Resident Smartass

Quote:
Originally posted by photobug
Wonder if I can talk a couple of dealers into bringing some to Laguna Seca for me to test? Just a thought.
You could demo a ZX6R by taking Keith Code's school, but really, any new 600 is so chock full of all-around goodness you could do well picking by color. Correction- any JAPANESE 600.

Suck mean people!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Tristan, have you ridden a TT600?

Richard Thompson
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 07:18 AM
Pete

Quote:
Originally posted by photobug
Tristan, have you ridden a TT600?
Photobug, have you read the reviews of the TT600?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 07:46 AM
Resident Smartass

Haven't ridden one. Like Pete said, pretty sorry reviews. Plus, I'm really not in the market for a 600. I did visually inspect one and was disgusted by the sloppy welds and frame paint that looked like Krylon.

Suck mean people!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

I took one for a test tide, and was pretty impressed. Then a couple of months later I rode a ZX-6R at Keith Code's California Superbike School. The ZX-6R was wonderful. The TT600 did suffer from low-speed stumble, like the bike rags say, but it isn't nearly as bad as the magazines let on. Plus, the front end on the TT600 gives telepathic feedback.

I may be in the market for a 600 next year. While I like the Triumph TT600 a lot, if I get a 600 sport bike it will be a dedicated track bike, and the top line Japanese 600s are better track bikes than the TT600. Not by much, mind you, but if I'm spending $8k plus on a track bike I want the best.

There are really no bad choices in the 600cc class. The differences are in degrees of excellence. The Triumph would be the first choice for someone who values handling feel above all else, and for someone who just wants to be different. The Kawasaki is defintely more comfortable. Haven't ridden the Yamaha, Suzuki, or Honda offerings yet. Need to correct that before committing my money.

In the meantime, the stodgy Sprint RS does just fine on the track. Not as fast as a VTR 1000, but damn close.

Richard Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode