Brainstorming... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-23-2000, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
I am interested in ideas for a new sportbike. Thinking along the lines of say... a Bimota or Segale. The powerplant will probably be an SV650 with an overbore kit on it. The current big picture goal is a light single seater fully faired sportbike. From there I am looking for ideas. BTW, I do want this to be something that could sell also therefore no carbon fiber frames(too expensive).

This is currently just a dream but I would like to make it a reality. Depends on mine and the wife's jobs.

Please try to keep this as serious as possible. I will print this stuff out for future use. Thanks.

John

The sheep need love too but they lie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-23-2000, 02:16 PM

Lightbulb

John:

For what its worth,I just got my December issue of Motorcyclist. It has lots of current year bikes and pix and "latest new bikes on display in Germany".
For my money,(and if I was Bill Gates or someone like him...),I'd LOVE to have an MV Agusta F4S.Single sided swing arm,the exhaust system that exits out the tail section...these things are a work of art!!Ducati will have a sport-tourer powered by the 996 motor. Lots of 2000 and 2001 eye-candy in this issue!!
Keep us posted on your thoughts!!

JIM

You don't stop riding because you get old;You get old because you stop riding!!
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-23-2000, 09:58 PM

Lightbulb

John,I`m assuming that you will probably want to use as much stock items as possible eg.GSXR rims,levers,nissin calipers to keep the overall price down or do you want to maybe have half and half eg.marvic rims with stock brakes,spondon frame with stock bodywork.Do you want poeple to notice this bike or for it to look like another SV650?.How about black rims,swingarm and frame and red fairing or a blue like the ZX9R.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-24-2000, 04:20 AM
that one guy

well, i personally like the tube frame idea's.. u can build them light & strong. of course an under the seat exhaust w/a lot of room btwn the tail section & the tire.. like on the polaris bike. something that really seperates & identifies a bike is the head light configuration.. yamaha set the new standards in my opingion so u r going to have to go a step further... maybe a flat upper w/ integrated projector lights on the side fairing? ooooo.. i just had an idea.. headlights on the helmet.. that way u see where ever u look.. hard to make them small & bright enough though. i also like the hardcore race set up... high rear sets low clip ons. i like single sided swing arms.. but its been debated recently that the dual arm is better. brembo brakes would be nice. didnt i hear somewhere that suzuki was gonna make an 850 sv? that motor would be sweet too. 180/55 rubber. it would be cool if u could figure a way to make the wheel base short but have the longer swing arm like on the r1/7/6... but the engine was built to incorporate that on the yamaha. back to the front fairing.. i think an xtreme angle would look good.. something kinda pointy but still smooth.. id have to draw u a picture of what im thinking... but if the headlights can be mounted on the side then the possibilities are endless. i remember a front fender called a rhino fender or something or other.. it improved cooling & aerodynamics.. something to look into.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-24-2000, 07:08 AM

Cool Brainstorming

Instead of lights on the helmet,go with lights on the front fender in addition to the normal location or lights on either side of the fork legs and blend them in with the fender.A single sided swingarm from a VFR(should be cheap to get)but you would be limited to a 5.5 inch rim.Here`s an idea thats a little too far out but a hydrostatic transmission(the engine drives a hydraulic pump and the oil drives the front and rear wheel).Belt drive(chains are too messy and shaft is too heavy).
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-24-2000, 08:25 AM
Pete

Cool Brainstorming?

What brain?
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-24-2000, 08:41 AM
Squidwannabe

Brainstorming ???

More like IDEA STEALING!
Get a life poser! Ever hear of an imagination!!??
Get your own Ideas!!

P.S Did you see Mongrel's SV ?? SSCCCHHHAAAWWEEETTT!!!
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-24-2000, 12:11 PM

Talking No Brains

From what I have heard, it's difficult to have a long swing arm on a twin. Somthing to do with the angle of the rear facing pot & having no room for the rear shock. (see Buell, Britten, TL1000 etc)

However, having a shock mounted beneath the frame fixes the room problem (see Buell, Britten)

I also agree on the tubular frame idea, it should be easier to construct.

*(John, please wear more than just your grean thong, when welding)

Ross

He who dies with the most toys "wins"
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-24-2000, 12:54 PM
Resident Smartass

Is this just for you or do you have delusions..uh.. I mean visions.. of producing some quantity?

Suck mean people!
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-24-2000, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
This is exactly what I'm looking for. Actually it is scary how much we think alike.

Pete kiss my ass.

My current thoughts are:

Spondon frame and single sided swingarm.

Stock brake components(probably).

Modified bodywork similar to the Sharkskinz that Mongrel has with the solo seat.

I was thinking about a high rise dual exhaust. Considered the undertail thing but it seems too over done these days. I don't know.

I was thinking three projector beam lights following the fairing upper from centerline up one side. Sort of like the Benelli but you know... different.

As for stealing ideas... this has been discussed in advance with a couple of other SBW members. Auger was pretty much in line with the discussions.

I like the bodywork ideas. Lights in the fender is an interesting idea. I was thinking LEDs incorporated into the bodywork for turn signals and brakelights.

Keep the ideas coming. This is fun.

John

The sheep need love too but they lie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode