Sportbike World banner

I want..... No.... Need One of These!

11K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  healthfreak 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Re: Re: I want..... No.... Need One of These!

cookeetree said:
Yeah, it's cool, but it seems like a rip-off of the Ariel Atom.

Ariel Atom
I like the Atom better. The Atom embodies the idea of the pocket rocket better. Looks cool and fast but a lil rough around the edges. Cookee wasn't the Atom made in Australia?

P.S. I love the quote from Bruce Lee. That used to be my mantra, be like water:)

#4 ·
Re: Re: Re: I want..... No.... Need One of These!

Karmastuntra said:
I like the Atom better. The Atom embodies the idea of the pocket rocket better. Looks cool and fast but a lil rough around the edges. Cookee wasn't the Atom made in Australia?

P.S. I love the quote from Bruce Lee. That used to be my mantra, be like water:)
No, made in the UK.

Yeah, I love the quote, too, obviously. :D

#5 ·
I think I like the KTM better. There's something about bodywork that I like and the Atom has pretty much none.

#6 ·
what they should do . . .

you know what they should with the car. . . and I have been thinking this for a while (to make as a buisness)

thay should make a car with two motorcycle engines in it
one engine to power the front wheels
and another to power the back wheels
=OR=
four engines , one for each wheel
===========================================
to keeps it as simplistic as possible . . . the car will only be in manual, because the transmission will have synchronization problems if automatic
===========================================
You know that Formula 1 racing cars have basically a V-12 motorcycle engine - - - it not actually a motorcycle engine, but thats how I relate it (eg HIGH revving)

AND the displacement of a V-12 formula 1 engine is ONLY 2.4 L
thats 2,400 cc, thats only 200cc/cyl - - - amazing

But, a Formula 1 car is a V-whatever engine that revs to 20,000 RPM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Instead of putting four engines or whatever,
just slap on one HIGH revving engine in a car, and you have a SUPER super car
(thats another buisness i want to establish)

#7 ·
I agree that Formula 1 cars are absolutey rediculous.

I'm not sure if this works by gearing or revs (?), but check this out:
http://www.break.com/index/we-are-the-champions.html

2 engines may work. In fact, I'm sure it would draw A LOT of attention being as no Atom-sized cars have been made with 2 engines yet (I know some FR/MR VW GTI's, but a GTI is on a whole different page from the Atom and KTM). But then again, it would be heavy compared to the Atom, and the Atom already does 0-60 in 2.7 seconds (If I remember correctly). 4 engines would be a little rediculous. I'm pretty sure if an Atom had 4 engines, it would handle like crapola.

I really don't know why anyone hasn't created a car like the Atom or the KTM with a motorcycle engine. I'm sure a small high-revving engine would be perfect for an Atom-sized car for the track and such. Plus, how can you not be drawn to the motorcycle engine sound?

#8 ·
I think you guys are digging for a world of confusion with the two engine setup. You'll probably need some mechanical linkage to synch up the RPM, but then how are you going to synch up the clutches and trannies?

I've seen a different effort that might be worthwhile. Some guys took 2 zx6 heads, and machined a v8 block to use them (one mounted backwords). They used zx6 pistons and rods, but I dont know where they got the crank shaft (machining a block is easy, a crank shaft, not so)

#9 ·
Twin engines can be done.

Back in the 80's, there was a ute that featured in a car mag down here. It had a 253ci in the front and a BLOWN 350ci in the BACK! Both engines provided drive to the rear wheels. Don't ask me how it was done, but it did work. No B/S. It was called BLOBAK.

#10 · (Edited)
TWO ENGINE

If would be simple to make a two engine setup . . .

Just make the two-engine car ONLY in manual, so just link the two transmissions to one shifter,and one cutch, and you would not have any problem.
Right. . . ? Yeah , it will work without a dought
==========================================
I would buy that El Camino! STAT ! !

#11 ·
How exactly do you hook up w engines to two transmissions, using only one clutch????

Cookie: It could be done in a factory setting, but it would be a disaster for a garage project

#12 ·
Vash said:
How exactly do you hook up w engines to two transmissions, using only one clutch????

Cookie: It could be done in a factory setting, but it would be a disaster for a garage project
The best information I can find says that it ran a Cadillac transaxle in the rear, with the 253 hooked straight to the harmonic balancer/ crankshaft of the blown 350. The 253 acted like a giant starter motor for the Chev, or something to that effect, apparently!

Honestly, mate, this thing was the custom car of the 80's!

#13 ·
my dad built a tractor years ago.it had 2 trans. mounted on top of each other.he welded a gear to the rear spline on the engines trans and another to the second transmission input shaft then linked em together with a drive chain.

#14 ·
jd7 said:
my dad built a tractor years ago.it had 2 trans...
What was the idea for this? What was he wanting to achieve?

I once saw a '57 Chev, again back in the '80's, that had two gearboxes, running inline. The front 'box was a standard four-speed, while the second 'box was, if I recall correctly, a two-speed powerglide.

The car was intended to be used for both street and strip. The builder, instead of going for quick-change diff, added a second 'box (the 'glide), into which he installed gear ratios that would essentially give him the equivalent drive ratios needed for each application.

#16 ·
jd7 said:
guess what he was trying to accomplish was gearing,he never did finish it.cause they sold the farm and moved to the city..might have been for the best the old man might of killed himself..lol
Sounds like he was trying to accomplish the same thing as the guy with the '57, aside from the whole drag racing thing. ;)

#18 ·
link two trans

do y'all remember the show '' monster Garage "

do you remember when they made a trike out of a diesel engine?

if you remember that, then do you remember how they linked the transmission?

thats the simplist way on how you can link two transmissions, by using that method . . . if you remember . . . EASY stuff

#20 ·
#21 ·
The split shifter thing is interesting, but whats the point? I'd be more concerned about the clutches being sinced. What if one is a little less worn, so it grabs a touch before the other one?

#22 ·
It looks like the X-Bow is a worthy competitor... Though the Ariel Atom is further along in development, having Audi onboard could certainly speed things up for the X-Bow. The engine data looks almost identical. The real test is going to be when Top Gear gets their hands on both cars at the same time and does a shootout. Either way, they're both sexy beasts and I'd be happy with either one parked in my garage. :thumbs2:

Vote Quimby.

#24 ·
My dream car is the Renault Clio with a Hartley busa-v8

the Clio is a mid-engine V6 btw

a front angle view

youtube hartley V8 vid

#25 ·
ochoa, I like that idea, but I think I'd rather have that motor in a Lotus Exige. Mid-engine, RWD and a good bit lighter. Plus, I absolutely love the looks of them.

#26 ·
snake, I've met a few lotus owners, at different occasions, and I found it funny that they all said their car is like a go-kart (shifter-kart intentions).
I sat in one of the dude's car and it was cramped at hell, and at 6'2" my head couldnt cut it in the hard top. And it doesnt have very good visibility

The clio (not personally speaking), has a practical interior, a big 'boot' in the front for essentials, hatchback look that I love, and great big windows to see all around. And if I had it w/ my modd and raced it, no one would expect it.:cool:

Friends find it weird when we talk bout dream cars; they want lambos and such . . . and I want a clio, nothing else :dunno:. . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.