Buell Recalls 11,000 Bikes - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2000, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Founder

Unhappy

Buell Motor Company announced this afternoon that they are recalling several Buell models built in the past few years. According to the release, "The recall relates to the shock absorber on the 1999 & 2000 Cyclone M2, the 2000 Lightning X1 and the 2000 Thunderbolt S3/T. Approximately 11,000 units are affected." If you own one of these models you should contact a dealer ASAP.

This is the second major recall in the recent past for Buell, and this one will cost Harley as much as three million dollars.

------------------
Robert Basil
It ain't easy being green - Kermit the frog
But it sure is fun! - Robert Basil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2000, 03:01 AM

Thumbs down

They're not winning any converts with this. That was part of the reason I passed. I'm getting a 2000 Hayabusa instead(I know about the 99 recall) Please, Buell...get it right!
MichiMan

------------------
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2000, 02:22 PM

Unhappy

That's too bad, I test drove one not too long ago and it was a really exciting and fun bike to ride. It had it's shortcomings( seat height) but I really enjoyed the test ride.
I would love to see them crank out a sportbike with the muffler and shock on the belly which decreases unsprung weight.

------------------
'99 GSX-R 750
Yes Officer I know how fast I was going....

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2000, 06:50 AM
Pete

http://www.motorcycleworld.co.uk/NEW...st+News&id=860

Buell recall details
By MCN Reporter
BUELL'S latest recall has been issued because a faulty shock could cause the back end of 11,000 affected bikes to collapse.

We revealed last week how the sporting branch of Harley-Davidson sent out the notices to every owner on the planet of 1999 and 2000 Cyclone M2s, plus 2000-spec Lightning X1s, Thunderbolt S3s and S3Ts.

The shock is mounted horizontally under the engine and, according to Buell's Jeremy Pick, it's the same problem which was supposed to have been fixed in a similar recall last year.

He said: "The shocks are cracking at the mounting eyelet. Last year we swopped from WP to Showa, but the problem has persisted. We are still trying to find a cure.

"I'm not aware of any incidents of failure in this country. This recall has come from Buell in America."

Dealers have been told not to deliver any more of the bikes - even if they have already been sold - until a suitable solution has been found. Buell estimates about 400 UK bikes are affected.

------------------
Pete
-Men are from earth. Women are from earth. Deal with it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2000, 07:51 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to JDM1200
Cool

Thanks Pete! I think all the problems stem from the inherant vibration in the Harley 1200 motor. That thing shakes like a pig. I know its rubber mounted but those vibes have to go somewhere. A broken shock mount seems like a good place.

------------------
Ride the Pace,
JD
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2000, 10:55 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to JDM1200
Buell has developed a fix for the shock mounting eye. It has developed a Shock Reinforcement Package consisting of 2 parts. Designed to reinforce the front and rear shock eyelets. The SRP is made so that if the eyelet broke the srp would still hold the shock and allow it to function properly.
They have also developed an all new shock which will put an end to the problem. But it is not available yet.

------------------
Ride the Pace,
JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode