this is a serious question......... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2000, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Question

I really would like some input on what the appeal of the Buell is. I'm not trying to start an arguement, but other than it being an American-made bike, I can't see why anyone would put up with it. I've driven the Lightning and Cyclone and they both shook me into the middle of next week..........

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2000, 03:38 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to JDM1200
Cool

Well its alot of things for me. To top it off is the mountain of torque. I've got a CBR600 F3 also and its a fun bike but I seem to grin alot more riding a Buell. Ease of maintenance is another. That motor has been around for quite awhile and its very easy to work on. You don't have to worry about having to adjust desmo valves evry what 5000 miles? And if you did you could easily do it in your farage. If you think a Buell vibrates bad you should try riding a Sportster. Same motor but rigidly mounted to the frame. I got rid of mine because it wore me out any time I rode over 100 miles.
What duc do you have? I almost bought a 900 ss sp back in 94. It was a little to cramped for me though and I didn't want to have to fool around with having the valves adjusted so often.
One other thing about Buells is wondering when Harleys gonna give them the vr1000 motor.
I guess it all comes down to personal choice. There are some bikes out there that IU think are just stupid looking, but someone else thinks its great. Like the Speed Triple, no offense Collin. I think they ruined that bike when they switched from a single headlight to a dual setup. But other people rave about it. I just don't get it. Oh well some folks like apples, some like oranges.

------------------
Ride the Pace,
JD

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2000, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your insight. Like I said, not trying to start an arguement (I don't think you took it as one)but i never understood those bikes. But as I say....if it puts a smile on you face, that's the bike for you! As for me, I don't have a ducati yet......still saving - although I have ridden them enough to know that is the bike for me! I have a '98 zx6 - hoping to realisticly get a 750 supersport (i would love to have a 748, but saving 8 grand is easier than 13!)

------------------

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2000, 04:25 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
JDM,

Is the 100 mile viberation thing the reason sporties have such small tanks??

I still can't believe you guys think the Beulls and the triple are less than beautiful.

The reason I like the triple's dual headlights is they are distictively different, kind of like Harley's small headlights.

------------------
Tony

94 CBR600F2 pur/blk/yel--streetbike
88 FZR400 primer/duct tape/yellow Krylon--trackbike
e-mail:[email protected]
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2000, 06:42 AM

Lightbulb

I guess thats why the tanks so small. LOL But at least on the newer ones they've switched from 2.25 gal tanks to 3.5 gal tanks. Although thats just another 40 miles of shakin! LOL I had that sportster forever it seems like, and had all kinds of fun with it. I guess thats what really counts. I used to ride it with a bunch of friends who all ride sportbikes and they would get a kick out of me sliding the rear through corners to keep up. They also hed to look out for sparks from the grinding footpegs. lol

------------------
Ride the Pace,
JD

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2000, 04:05 PM

desmo i see you aint never rode a shovelhead, thats vibration,the look of a buell is either one you love or hate i like them i just doent think there worth what they want for them, i was thinking of getin one but the s3t is 12800, thats more then i paid for my 99 softail, all they are is a souped up sporty,i'm leaning towards a triumph, i think most people that buy them are h-d owners that want a second bike, they want another h-d but they want a different kind of ride, i think buells ride great there fun.

------------------
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2000, 03:12 PM

Talking

Hey all, I've owned A 97 S3 Thunderbolt for Two Years now. I've never owned A Harley and don't consider my Buell one either. At 90 Hp and 85 ftlb of torque(as Advertised) the only similarity is the sound. Yes, they shake but only at idle. There is no vibration from 1250 rpm's to redline 6800 rpm's, in fact at speed they are one of the smoothest bikes I've ridden.
I like the Naked bike look that all Buells have. I was considering A Ducati Monster at the time of my purchase and A Triumph Triple but what won me over was the maintainability just oil and tires and ride. No valve adjustments, no lubing or replacing the chain every few thousand miles and the fact that the dealer let me take one for A test ride that was all she wrote, had to have one after that. Anyway there's an owners opinion for you.
Jeff-

------------------
97S3
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 03:35 PM

i like buells but they want 12800 for a s3t no way i was gonna buy it thats more then i paid for my 99 softail standard, you might not think of it as a harley but thats all sporty motor in that frame, if they was cheaper i would have one caus they are fun

------------------
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2000, 06:37 AM

Thumbs up

Dudes,
I have a Buell S2T and can tell you that the components on this bike are comparable to those on some of the best sportbikes. This bike rails in the twisties. Nothing like a lot of low end torque to open up the passing lanes.
The new Buell engines are not really Harley Sportster engines, as they produce much more HP and TQ than Sporties (101 crank HP and 90 ft/lbs TQ @ 5,500 rpm stock). You can easily buy a kit (exhaust system, air cleaner assem., electronic module) from Buell to increase the low end power even further. These engines are not the most technologically advanced machines out there, but they don't have to be to get that power, 'cause they have cubic inches.

So what does all of this mean in the real world: A low maintenance engine you can work on without special tools. A torque monster on the highways, where the battles are fought and won at below 100 mph. A sound like no other motorcycle in the world (nothing sounds better than a Buell on the pipe at 6800 rpm). A bike that has folks walking up to you all the time asking you what it is and where can they get one.

Sure, there are lots of bikes out there with more peak HP and higher top speeds. These things are really important on the racetrack where you can keep the engine rpms on a rolling boil, and don't have to worry about what is around the corner of that blind curve before you dive into it at 90 mph. Buells are sport bikes for the real world, although I have seen them eat up everything on track days too, as long as the straights are 1/2 mile range. There is nothing like having that much mid range torque in a street dual.

I also have a YZF 600R that I ride at track days, so I have some real world experience to call from. I like all of my bikes for different reasons, but I like my Buells best.

------------------
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2000, 07:49 AM

Another great thing about a Buell is the support from the aftermarket. There are literally thousands of places that make parts for Harley/Buells. Since the moter is identical to a Sportster motor on the outside, if you want to chrome it just replace the parts. You want a bigger motor, S&S has em as big as you want to go. The list of parts is endless.

------------------
Ride the Pace,
JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode