Qs for ya JD... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2000, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to JDM1200
Cool

I've always had the CBR Pete. I took the Buell forum cause the Honda one was taken. I used to have a Harley Sportster and have alot of experience with that motor and have been around Buells alot so I took the forum. Nobody wanted it anyway. As you can tell there aren't many Buell riders here. But I have been around to alot of other sites trying to get them to come on over. Don't know what the prob is. Anti social I guess. lol

------------------
Ride the Pace,
JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2000, 08:52 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JDM1200:
But I have been around to alot of other sites trying to get them to come on over. Don't know what the prob is. Anti social I guess. lol

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i guess it's the harley heart in them.

i'm surprised there aren't many more here. buells are a really solid package. i thought about an x1 for quite some time. maybe some day.

how's ft. polk? i don't wanna trade.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2000, 08:59 PM
Pete

Well, I'll be damned, seriously, all this time I was thinking you rode a Buell. Hmmph!! Living up to my idiot status, I guess.

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2000, 07:51 AM
Pete

Hey man, I just saw in a post of yours where your sportbike is now a CBR600. Did you get rid of the Buell? When did you get the CBR? Do you like it? Just curious as I had not seen you mention getting a new bike.

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2000, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Cool

Yeah I thought about an X1 to. I really like them. But when I sold my last bike about this time last year I told my wife I would get something for less than what I got for my last bike. I found the F# at a steal. $1000 less than blue book, in excellent shape, about 3000 miles. It was too good to pass up. I'm perfectly happy with it. I can't use up all the performance it can offer. No its not cutting edge technology but its a hell of a bike.
Ft Polk you ask? Its HOT... DAMN HOT! And it sucks too!

------------------
Ride the Pace,
JD
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 12:05 AM

A real Bueller here

Ok,

You asked for a bueller-
So you got one.
Now what are ya gunna do with em?

I just posted a reply to the "wave or not to wave" question and
stated there why I got my bike...so since I don't like retyping stuff
I guess I'll just say this

I am new to your site and forum-in fact I don't even participate in the Buell Sites , BRAG or The American Thunderbike Club-
I have always been more of a lurker....anyway I got My bike for a great deal at
Manchester Harley/Buell in NH. IN fact I am Harley/Buells Tarrget customer-
Last Year I bought A Blast- to learn how to ride on-put 5000+ miles on it and then traded it
in for my X1 that I really enjoy. I did toy with the idea of a Triumph speed Tripple or a Harley FXDX , but my patriotic side and young and foolish side won out so I got the Buell. (BTW I also drive a Chevy)

also what best sums up what I like about the bike can be said in the words from another online site:

"Los Angeles, September 27, 1999 -- There will always be things we are forced to accept, without explanation. Remember the kid back in high school you could never figure out? He was the one that everyone thought was a dork, but he somehow got invited to all the parties, hung out with the cheerleaders and such. You know, the kid who would somehow befriended all the jocks and stoners and the rest of the 'cool' people. He was just so out-there, so un-cool that he was cool. Even those that didn't understand him had to accept him. That kid, in this bike's honor, shall from now on be referred to as Buell. "

This Bike fit my personality to a T.

I believe in violent non-action.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 11:23 AM

Lightbulb No activity....

Probably the reason this area stays pretty quiet is that there are some other awfully good buell specific alternatives (www.badweatherbikers.com in particular). It is easier to use, navigate, search, and is FAR faster (IMHO... no offense to Robert).

My 2000 M2 Cyclone is a wonderfull bike, and fantastic for real world riding, but it's more about being practical then being a repli-racer.

Forget max HP (which looks good on paper but is rarely usable unless you have a race track and an expendable motorcycle), it maximizes torque (which gets used every time you release your clutch).

Forget max speed... the Buells will top out about 130 mph, but it will go from 0 to 100 mph with close to the best of them. If going more then 130 miles per hour on the street is important to you, look elsewhere. Most street riders should not see this as a problem. If they do, I hope their organ donor cards are laminated.

The oversize single front rotor minimizes unsprung weight... which really matters on rough real world roads. Racers use two rotors, as the tracks are far smoother, and they brake hard and often from triple digit speeds. I suspect they are a lot more worried about melting rotors then unsprung weight. But for us street riders, how many times in a 5 minute period do you go from 150 mph to 20 mph? Compare that to how many times you hit a bump or rough road while turning. Which case do you want optimized?

The engine is dated, but extremely simple. Easy to work on, easy to get parts for, lots of add on's, and a tremendous amount of "tribal wisdom". I am by no means an expert mechanic, but with only a torque wrench, a couple sockets, and allan key, I removed most of the top end of my engine, held a pushrod in my hands, and got it back together in an evening. Runs perfectly. (see leaking rocker box discussion below ).

Two cylinders, one incredibly simple carb (on the cyclone anyway), and few parts. My 3 year old son has toys with more parts then my motorcycle engine.

My cyclone vibrates like a paintshaker at idle (it really is alarming the first time you see it), but is smoother then my 89 Radian (600 CC standard) at cruising speeds.

Most of the Buell advantages take a long time to explain, and require a pretty good understanding of motorcycling to appreciate. Erik Buell is a racer that rides on the street, and is designing bikes accordingly. On paper, they don't look compelling, unless you know where to look.

I think anyone that has actually ridden one (one of the newer ones, 99 and up, when they all got the 90 HP plus engines) will at least give them respect.

Reliability is a real issue. I think Buells are average, but the Japanese bikes are fantastic. Buy a Buell, and you will probably HAVE to replace a rocker box gasket or two, maybe a speedo sensor, do a shock recall (or two ) and probably tighten the primary chain a couple of times. You will probably WANT to rejet, change the airbox, and add a new slip on exhaust. That's the bad news. The good news is you can do all of this yourself at home with minimal tools and little grief, and you can't imagine the number of aftermarket options to choose from to do it.

Normal maintenance is a dream. Drain the oil by removing a hose attached from the frame and pull the plug from the end of it. Nothing to it... can do it in a third of the time it takes me on my unfaired Japanese 4 . The oil filter screws right off the front... nothing to it. Self adjusting valves, battery right at your finger tips. Crankcase oil and engine oil are seperate, one won't foul the other, and no slipping clutch worries when using full synthetics.

Fully adjustable suspension, front and back (at least after the second recall ). Low center of gravity on a tall bike... lots of leverage, lots of lean, serious carving on turns, and excellent handling.

New prices are a little on the steep side, but 1 year used prices can be quite good. I got a 2000 M2 cyclone with 3k miles for $5200. An unusually good deal, no doubt, but not impossible. Heck, I doubt I could get a similiar milaged SV-650 for that price.

For the price, Buells really should be a little more reliable... nothing a good ISO-9000 implementation can't clean up. But the problems are managable and well known, so I don't think they outweigh the advantages. But if tools frighten you... look elsewhere (ya pansy ).

Not the only good bike, and I would argue not even the best bike. But I can't think of a bike I would rather own.

There... lots of chum in the water. If nobody takes any of that bait, then there is no hope for this forum

Bill

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to eventually close it again on something solid" (GK Chesterton)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 04:31 AM Thread Starter

Greta points Bill, but there are also other great brand specific sites for other models and there are plenty of them here. I guess its just there are more Honda's, etc on the road. I wish more Buell riders would come join, but I can't make em. I've posted links in some of the Buell sites, so the info is there.
As for the Buell, I couldn't agree more. Its a great bike. I do all the work on my bikes and the buell motor is great for people like me.
I keep waiting and watching for the new models to come out.
Btw, did anyone see last weeks Pro Thunder race? Of course a Buell won!!

Ride the Pace,
JD
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 11:34 PM

I don't buy into it, but there is a lot of the "We need to stick together because no one else likes us" mentality. I love ALL motorcycles. So I can't understand any of the brand nonsense. I have an S1 now. And as soon as Ducati has a twin pulse V4 at the dealer I'll buy one. When BMW has a MotoGP derived sportbike. I'll buy that one too. I'd rather have a Ural than nothing.

hashde
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 07:28 AM

Sportbike World Trash Talk

The trash talk around here against the Buell owners is probably the clearest reason why more Buell people don't come here. Or if they do it's probably why they don't stick around very long. Mention Buell anywhere in this website and it starts all the crap. I think it's the insecurity of the Sportbikers after listening to the H/D people for so many years. Now they want to go for their immature ego-damaged paybacks. My Buell has been a fine streetbike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode