Are Buells reliable? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-13-2000, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Question

I've seen many reviews saying that Buells are often unreliable and troublesome. Is this true?

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-13-2000, 06:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to JDM1200
Question

What reviews have you seen that say they are unreliable? I have known them to be rock solid. The engine has been around for over 15 years in the Harley Sportster. Granted the Buell has different Cams, heads and valves, but it is a very dependable motor.
Go to some of the links in Buell links and you will see some really high mileage Buells.

------------------
Ride the Pace,
JD
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 01:10 PM

Reliable

Depends, Buells seem to vary quite a bit. Checkout badweatherbikers.com. I have a 1998 S1W that has given me a bit of trouble. The worst thing was holeing the rear piston at 19,324 miles. The factory did nothing and the local dealer was not interested in rebuilding my bike. Kinda pissed me off. These bikes are alot of fun, but, you will need a shop manual and you will need to be prepared to wrench. Badweather is a excellent souce of info. Probably the most disturbing thing I have read is one guy who knows personally five people who had the factory buy back their bike under the lemon law. And another ten on the web! Alot of the problems are dealer support, or rather a lack of. Like my dealer. I told him my story about blowing my motor, the bike was 18months old at that time. He says 'so what do you want us to do about it?' They, Harley dealers, make so much money hanging chrome and such they don't want a rebuild job. I now have 232k miles on my bike. Also kinda odd. I needed a new ignition swith. The local dealer tried for two months and is still trying as far as I know to get me the part with no success. I got the part from Modesto Buell in cal. A Buell only shop. Good luck

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 01:29 PM

reliable?

Buells are a rare sight here in Northern Ireland but I know 3 guys that have them. 2 of them have a love/hate thing going on as both have broke down a few times so far. The Buells come with a breakdown recovery package for 12 or 24 months so they always get taken back to the only Harley/Buell dealer in N.I. who I have to say gives excellant back-up. Personally, I had a ride on the Lightning & loved it but I wouldn't want it to be my only bike. I also think the new Firebolt looks the biz.

Better Smeg than dead
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 12:53 PM

I have a 1998 S1WL Buell which I purchased used. I have riden it to work almost every day the weather is half decent a 48 mile trip each way. I have put on 500 miles a week on the bike and have had no trouble at all with the bike other than replacing the battery once and one rear tire. The bike now has 10,000 miles on it. I have owned all brands, types and sizes and this bike has been the most fun of all. Best part is almost noboby knows what it is. There are so few of them its like having a one of a kind sport bike.

BIRTHDAYS ARE GOOD FOR YOU, THE MORE YOU HAVE, THE LONGER YOU WILL LIVE
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 01:55 PM

Thumbs up buell reliable

I had a 98 BuellS3. I say had because on my way to work one day a construction truck decided he needed to be where I was. I lost. Before that fateful day I had my Buell for 10 month's. During that time I put over 15,000 miles on it. I replaced the rear tire once, had the swingarm bushings replaced once. Other than that I changed oil and road the wheel's off it.
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 02:31 PM
Resident Smartass

Here's my limited experience with Buells: Rode with a group last year to S.E. OH, and when we pulled up to a gas station the CBR900 rider noticed oil splattered all over his front fairing. Turned out to be coming from the Buell riding in front of him, the rear of the Buell was covered in oil. It had a couple thousand miles on it.

Suck mean people!
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ZeroMan
I've seen many reviews saying that Buells are often unreliable and troublesome. Is this true?

------------------
FORGET IT!!!!!!!!!

buy Japanese...or Italian......or even British.

Friends don't let friends ride Harleys, very far.

Once you try track, you never go back.
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 02:40 PM

I did hear of one person who had a valve cover leak. Easy enough to fix. Unlike the Duck a "friend" had. He couldn't wait to get rid of it. Always leaking from every where.
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hongs
I did hear of one person who had a valve cover leak. Easy enough to fix. Unlike the Duck a "friend" had. He couldn't wait to get rid of it. Always leaking from every where.
The Harley NEVER leaked?????

Yeah, right.

Once you try track, you never go back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode