Are Buells reliable? - Page 4 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JDM1200
No I'm not saying Buell's are totally reliable. Just don't come on a Buell board and expect to change peoples minds.
I wasn't trying to change anyones mind.

I was just responding to ZeroMans request for an opinion on Buell reliability.

Apparently you have answered his question. They are not totally reliable.

I think Reepicheep put it best when he said that, yes they aren't totally reliable, but they are easy and inexpensive to repair. That is an asset that can counterbalance true dependabiblity.

If ZeroMan is not mechanically inclined, maybe he should consider another brand. If he is, then maybe he should consider a Buell.

As for AMA, they blatantly protect Harley, so I don't take stock in any results from AMA, good or bad. Just look at the flattrack rules. I don't follow AMA very closely, but I doubt there is a full Ducati factory effort. If there is, it is not nearly as strong as the effort in WSB. Remember Ducati is still a small company and probably sells 1/10 of the number of bikes Harley sells, so they probably don't want to put a full effort here. That is just a guess.

As for my 900 SS. It is close to the Buell. It is just not competitive in racing, but it is very, very fun to ride. In fact I am selling it because I want to go racing. I am going to buy a Yamaha R6.

You ride your Buell, I'll ride my rice and pasta. We'll both be happy.

And don't forget, Harleys win EVERY 883 race.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 01:10 PM

reliability and dealers

Part of the problem if not most of it is the dealer support of lack thereof. A guy posted a note. He bought a leftover 2000 x1. Very excited, new bike. Well he barley got home on it. The FI was so messed up the bike he had just paid almost 10k for bucked, sputtered, and stalled all the way to his house. Also a safety issue if you asked me, stalling in traffic. The shop was closing when he left so he calls them the next day. 'Well its a Buell and that is just the way they are'! So imagine you just bought a new Mustang GT, and it ran so bad you barley got home in it without having a accident. What would Ford Motor CO. do about that? This kind of thing really breaks my heart.
post #33 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 01:28 PM

Thumbs up

As for my 900 SS. It is close to the Buell. It is just not competitive in racing, but it is very, very fun to ride. In fact I am selling it because I want to go racing. I am going to buy a Yamaha R6. [/B]

And you proved my point. We weren't talking about racing. Its all about having fun. And as a side note I happen to think the 900 SS is the greatest Duc. No its not as fast as the 996, but I still think its got classic styling!

post #34 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 01:30 PM

Reliability.

Thanks, 8uell:

TO ALL BUELL RIDERS!!!!!!

If you want a frank and honest evaluation of Ducati dependability, I recommend you read in the DUCATI manuf section the thread "DUCK 748"

Fair is Fair.

P.S. THanks JDM1200, too.
post #35 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 06:53 AM

Scheduled maint and the 10k checkup.

I had almost forgot. Did you know that on my 98 S1w (Buell) the 10k service is a 8.25 hour deal. My local shop, the only one within several hundred miles charges $60.00 per hour. They just moved into a big new bldg that they have to pay for. I would do it my self but the swing arm bearings and stearing head bearings have to be checked or replaced and it is kinda specialized. Add more for parts (stearing neck bearings) oil, filter, tranny fluid. Also I have a bad rear wheel. For some reason the wheel bearing has worn the inside of the weel itself. The wheel needs to be replaced! I am waiting to hear from Buell to seel if they are going to give me a new wheel. So, when did a wheel become a normal maint item. That is what these guys are saing, 'its a high milage bike, its to be expected'. I had a VFR before this. I had 18k miles on it. What did I have to do to it. Hmmmm, lets see. I replaced a head light blub. Had the valves checked. Thats it. I am don't want to talk about the topend rebuild I paid for out of my pocket at 19k miles. I am kinda close to declaring this bike a MONEY PIT! But YMMV.
post #36 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 08:01 AM

Buell reliable

I've never heard of anyone needing a wheel replaced. What kind of wheel's did you have? I had the PM's and had no problems with over 15,000 miles. They even held up when being run over by a construction drilling rig.
post #37 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 08:29 AM

Wheel type

Stock cast three spoke wheels. A engineer buddy of mine says its a bad design. His opinion. The tech at the shop wrote on my service ticket. Wheel bearing bore is damaged and rear wheel will have to be replaced. Possible causes include:
*Excessive belt tension
*Vibration from failed bearing
*Misaligned rear axle.
*Hard riding under any of the above conditions
Now, I am very careful to adjust my axle alignment. I run the belt with more slack than the manual calls for. I had the bike in for a 15k checkup, no problem. Now at 23k the wheel is bad. I posted a note on atc about this and several people responded with the same experience. One guys wheel went out at 10k miles, the factory has taken care of him. I am waiting to hear from Buell cust service. Other than a new wheel guys have used, metal epoxy. Loctite stud/bearing mount. They are kinda implying that it is a high milage bike that is ridden hard!
post #38 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 08:38 AM

rear wheel

Thank's for the info. I'll pass it along to fellow Buell riders at our next meeting and see if anyone else has run into this.
post #39 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 09:15 AM

Modesto Buell saves the day!!!!

So I call Modesto Buell to see if they have a used wheel. Deana in parts says 'oh, I see those all the time. I'll send you a new wheel, you send me your old wheel and I will take car of it with Buell'. I just can't believe this kinda service. She did say the most I might have to pay is a $100.00 admin fee. Tho there is a good chance I will get a free wheel. This is just incredible! Deana say she sees this all the time. About every fifth or sixth bike has a damaged wheel. Also I had bought the bearings that my shop installed in the bad wheel from Modesto. Deanna says she will credit me for the bearings, just leave them in the wheel! Color me happy!!!
post #40 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 09:36 AM

Glad to here your happy with Modesto Buell. They are 1 of 3 really good Buell shops in the entire San Fran area. There are a LOT of Harley shops, only a few Buell shops. The really good ones are Modesto, Dudley Perkins and Bob Dron's. These are the only one's I know of with certified Buell mechanics. The guy's in Modesto also do amazing engine work. Had a friend take his bike to them and get it back with over 115hp. Wasn't cheap and I don't think it's race legal, but it's a ton of fun to ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode