Are Buells reliable? - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 03:51 PM

My Buell never leaked a drop. Neither did my 90 Sportster. The rigid chopper with the Ironhead sportster motor leaked when I first got it, however I fixed that and no more leaks. It's a matter of being able to work on your own bike. If your not mechanicaly inclined or rich you can ride what ever you want and just take it to the shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 04:10 PM

Hardly Dangerous

Quote:
Originally posted by Hongs
It's a matter of being able to work on your own bike. If your not mechanicaly inclined or rich you can ride what ever you want and just take it to the shop.
You just proved my point.

The other brands don't NEED the repair/maintenance Harleys do.
Therefore, the other brands would less costly AND, by definition, more dependable, even if bought used.
post #13 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 04:17 PM

I guess you missed the point that one friend had a Duck that was always leaking from somewhere or just flat out broken down. He used to cary fluids in his tank bag so if anything got too low he could fill it back up. Part of owning a Harley is making it your's. Not just like everyone else's. Your bike is a statement about you. Are you an individual or just a copy of someone else? I prefer to make my own statement. I didn't need to work on my bike's. I enjoy'd working on them. I also worked on the Honda I had. It was just harder to work on.

post #14 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 04:33 PM

Judging by 8uell's post in this very thread, you are in the minority.
post #15 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 04:43 PM

Alot of what 8uell said is true. Here in the San Fran area there is a definate shortage of good Buell dealers. But as far as problems we have a group of Buell riders that gather's once a month. We usually have 40-60 riders show up. Of those I only know of one who had any major problems with their bike. Yet, after the problems he had, the next bike he bought was another Buell. Either a glutton for punishment or the Buell is just that much fun to ride. I only got off my Buell without a smile once. That was when I was hit.
post #16 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 05:04 PM

I hope your "hit" wasn't serious. I hope it didn't end your riding career.

I guess there is nothing that can be said that will change either of our minds on the subject of Buell dependability. I just hope that Zero Man gets some useful info.

BTW the only parts of my bike that make a "statement" are the tires. They are shredded right up to the sidewalls and virtually new in the middle. What parts of you Buell made a statement about you?
post #17 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 05:08 PM

You want a bike that is good without any doubt get any of the big 4 japanese brand. Then you don't have to question anything; however, I am not saying that there is like .01% at times that some have a problem due to manufacturing. But they are the best. That's my opinion and I hope no one gets offended or butt hurt hehehehe
post #18 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 11:49 PM

Well It sounds like all of you that ride Jap bikes never vave any problems. Thats great and I hope it stays that way for you but I have not had that great experience with them. Along with my 98 Buell S1 I have a 83 Midnight Virago 920 Guess which bike gets the pan under when I park it. No not the Buell its the Yamaha. Guess which bike had the ignation module replaced 3 times, nope not the Buell. Guess which bike had the stator rebuilt twice and the voltage regulator replaced once, nope not the Buell. I also have a 250 Suzuki that I have had for 30 years never ever had a problem with it. I guess sometimes you get the bear and some times the bear gets you.
post #19 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 01:32 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fatman
Every jap bike I've owned in the last nineteen years has had problems.

1971 Honda CB350: drum brakes worked once then faded real bad, points bounced, leaked oil a little, electrics were crummy.
1985 Suzuki GS550ES: rear brake wasn't porperly adjusted by the dealer, ruined the disk (bike got stolen so it didn't matter)
1987 Kawasaki EX250: bad electrical parts.
1992 Yamaha XT600: Valve cover cracked just after the factory warranty expired, leaked oil everywhere. Bad electrics.Brakes suck.
1995 Kawasaki KLR650: Broken motor mounts at around 35000 miles.Brakes suck. Gas tank replaced under warrenty, bad leak. Faulty electrics
1998 Suzuki GSF1200S Bandit: Leaked oil right after I got it, gas tank leaked right after I got it. Both fixed under warrenty. Bad electrics replaced under warrenty. Speedometer went bad at 17000 miles, warrenty replaced. Valve cover still leaks a little oil, but I don't care anymore. Gas guage don't work anymore, another warrenty fix ALL of my motorcycles have failed to run at one point or another due to faulty electrics.
My next bike might be a Buell.

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains.

Last edited by Fatman; 08-19-2001 at 12:19 AM.
post #20 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 06:56 AM

Talking

Nothing funnier than a duck rider telling anyone his bike isn't dependable. Hmmmmm adjusted any valves lately?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode