Stay Away From Blast! - Page 5 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 05:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to 97yzfinwyo Send a message via Yahoo to 97yzfinwyo
Talking look alike

So your firebolt doesnt look like everybody elses firebolt???? This was about the blast, sorry if we didnt specify that every time we said buell. get your panties out of a wad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 06:17 PM

Re: look alike

Quote:
Originally posted by 97yzfinwyo
So your firebolt doesnt look like everybody elses firebolt???? This was about the blast, sorry if we didnt specify that every time we said buell. get your panties out of a wad
I imagine you meant me...Those bikes sure do look alike in your avatar. Yes my Bolt does look like other Bolts (of the same engine size) but how many days go by while your riding and you dont see any bike on the Buell line riding around? Unless you know somebody I bet you rarely see one. On the other hand the japs bikes are a dime a dozen, I dont have enough fingers and toes to count all of the ones I pass on the way to work, riding in the canyons, etc. I prefer my bike to be unique not only IMO but it is since everywhere I stop someone has to approach me and ask about it. Im learning rather quickly that tons of riders seem to have an unfair opinion on Buells which I feel has been developed by the shit thrown in their ear from a buddy and not from any real research. FACE THE FACTS you have a cookie cutter bike. Buells stand alone theyre a work of art, and distinguished from the rest of the bikes who make up the sportbike world. Now if Buell decided to up its production as much as the jap brands then I wouldnt have anything to talk about but until then...
post #43 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
If eric buell is such a good designer, why hasnt he picked a better powerplant for his bike? [/B]
Why don't you ask him yourself? We're having dinner with him in a few weeks, and you're more than welcome to join.

Given the bikes intended purpose, what makes it so bad? With proper mods (slip-on, ecu, intake, headers - ttle price: ~$1100), one can now easily obtain 100 true rwhp with ~85 ft pounds of torque. Being that it's a street bike and placed purposfully outside of the repli-racer category, I'd say it has more than enough juice.

Regarding reliability: with proper maintenance that you can do yourself (provided you have at least the ability to successfully build a lego set) I've seen motors with over 50k miles on the clock with no signs of fault.

It is what it is. And what it "is" is not all things to everyone. But it does a great many things very well, which makes it a great all around bike for many people IMHO.

Would I like to see a high revving screaming I4 in my Buell? HELL NO. That's why I bought an R6 to go along with it.

R6 = track
XB = street

post #44 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 06:32 PM

BTW - I think it's hilarious that this board classifies Buell as an exotic.
post #45 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 06:51 PM
Some days are like this.

Quote:
Originally posted by dago
Given the bikes intended purpose, what makes it so bad? With proper mods (slip-on, ecu, intake, headers - ttle price: ~$1100), one can now easily obtain 100 true rwhp with ~85 ft pounds of torque. Being that it's a street bike and placed purposfully outside of the repli-racer category, I'd say it has more than enough juice.

Regarding reliability: with proper maintenance that you can do yourself (provided you have at least the ability to successfully build a lego set) I've seen motors with over 50k miles on the clock with no signs of fault.
What if I purchased the bike with the intent to just ride to get the feel of it and learn how to ride? Should I plonk down my money, then have to turn around and drop even more for aftermarket add ons?

As a new rider, I say no. I'm not going to put additional money (totaling 1/5 of the purchase price) into it just to get extra power.

As for reliability? My bitch about that was performance reliability. Who the hell puts an air-cooled engine into a beginner bike? Since I was new to riding, this wasn't something I even thought about, especailly since I had been a curb monkey on a jap bike for many years, and never even knew overheating was an issue: new bike, new radiator like a car, blah, blah. I was ignorant at the time.

While learning how to stop, turn and do controlled slow movements in the 100* N CA heat, and while sitting in city traffic, I had my Blast overheat and stall on me more times that I like to count. I had to push it to the side of the road and wait for it to cool off enough to restart and pray that traffic would begin to flow so it wouldn't happen again.

Also under that same bitch is power delivery. I never knew if I would get any when I whacked open the throttle. Sometimes it was there, sometimes it wasn't, and that is scary if you get into a situation where power is needed. Maybe it was desiged to have a ton of forgiveness when the throttle was opened up too quickly? If so, I'm pretty cheesed at the salesman that neglected to inform me of that little gem, and irritated with myself for not seeing it on the Buell site. Maybe the HD dealer sold me one that was supposed to be in the riders class but they didn't use?

Oh yeah, and where did all the oil go after 100 miles?

Even though the F4 had more HP, twitchier throttle control and scared me at times (through sheer pull and speed), I learned more in one week of riding it than I did in the month I spent avoiding the Blast because I was scared the actual machine would fail me.

Does any of that make sense?

"I often wonder why I talk to you, then I realize, although you put me down, you do it with love." - Jester
post #46 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 06:52 PM
Some days are like this.

Quote:
BTW - I think it's hilarious that this board classifies Buell as an exotic.

Well, you are proud of the fact that your Buell isn't a dime a dozen like the big three Japanese makers, correct?

So since they are few and far between, wouldn't that make them kind of an exotic, as far as semantics are concerned?

Or are you just looking for something to bitch about?

"I often wonder why I talk to you, then I realize, although you put me down, you do it with love." - Jester
post #47 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 07:14 PM

I'm not bitchin at all, my friend! I just find it comical. When I think "exotic", Buell sure as shit doesn't come to mind.

I certainly didn't buy the XB due to any sort of "exclusivity." What's so exclusive about a bike you can buy anywhere in the civilized world for less than $11,000 US?

It's unfortunate you had trouble with your Blast. I'm a realist and therefore accept there are bad apples in every bunch.

But on the bright side, you have apparently found the bike for you (and it's a sweet one to boot). Unfortunately for me, I'm still looking for that perfect bike. Congrats!
post #48 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Are you talking about the Blast??? This thread was started about the Blast, and has sidetracked to everything but!

Great... you own a Buell and you are happy with it. But unless that Buell is the Blast, is what you are offering of any use?

Yamaha makes a great bike. I've owned several, and I am now committed to 100% Yamaha motorcycles in my garage. But... I wouldn't, for the life of me try to defend a couple of the Viragos they made. For one: I don't own one, and for two: they don't have a defense. Some of them were garbage. Does that make my YZF or FZR or the next YZF I get garbage?! No. And by the same logic, it stands that your Thunderbolt can be a fine machine, and they still may have missed the mark on the Blast.

This thread was started specifically addressing the Buell Blast. If you comment is not specifically addressing the Buell Blast.... please specify, or start a new thread. Less feathers will get ruffled that way.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
post #49 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 11:13 PM

LOL - a Blast can be what you make of it! That is its charm and simplicity! Their reliability is legendary - for the abuse they take - amazing. One of Buell's greatest detractors of Buell - on another forum - still owns a Blast and admits its durability is amazing! He says its been down more times than a yoyo - all he does is keep adding oil and replacing broken bits - he says its trained over 70 people - lol - everything from motor and suspension can be upgraded to grow with your riding style - hell you can even get real sick these days and up the power to over 2 1/2 times the stock 27RWHP - RW! - yeah - it takes money - still the resources are there! Yeah it is easier to just buy an SV650 and enjoy, however, the fun is in really upping this bikes potential with upgrades and then suprising others with the results - lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kisa003.jpg (633.2 KB, 56 views)
post #50 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 11:30 PM

Wow...

And to think, I was one of the original posters on this "OLD" thread. And now it's comes down to bashing just for fun ?
I've contibuted to this forum in the past, but this will be my last post here. If a site like this, will allow this kind of unmoderated disrespect of other peoples choice of machine. Then I no longer wish to contribute to such a site.

I've even been known as being highly outspoken on other bike sites, including the largest Buell site on the internet -[link to site removed, as it violates the TOS of this board] from which I'm now banned.

But I'll give them(BWB) credit for this much....the moderators THERE never allow such blatant disrespect of others opinions. LOL- I should know...

But I'd rather be banned from such a fine Buell Enthusiasts site - as Badweatherbikers, than be a contributing poster of THIS Site ever again !

You bashers sicken me. But also make me feel Proud to to be part of a Fellowship- that you can't even comprehend !

Good By, and good ridence !

~Ralph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode