Stay Away From Blast! - Page 10 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 10:21 PM

Ya know, I was thinking about finding a used Blast a few months ago. I was thinking that it would be a great commute bike since it gets 60+ mpg. Then I thought about it & decided against it after I realized that lately I've been using my XB for commuting 80% of the time & for fun only 20% of the time. If I had gotten a Blast, I'd end up riding my Lightning only 20% of the time.

That would be a complete waste of an XB so I'm staying away from buying any sneaky, little, XB quality time stealing Blasts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 06:04 AM

Question

Quote:
Here's an example: spicersh and I had a brand new 2001 Mitsubishi Montero that needed its transmission replaced at 27K miles (auto tranny), and its 4WD tranny was beginning to fall apart when we turned it in with 59K miles. We had such a headache and have since learned from three other people that have the same vehicle that their 4WD is going, too. One person is having no trouble. So, four out of five had tranny issues and because of our experience, I will never purchase another Mitsubishi product. One vehicle is so bad that I won't even look at their other 12 or whatnot.
I hope you're not too disgruntled with Mitsubishi as a result of that story. All Montero's use a Toyota A-340 tranny & tranfer case.
It's also used in jeeps but they call it an AW-4.

Get to hatin on those brands too dude!

P.S. I agree that Blasts are junk, & I nearly torched my firebolt a few times this year!
post #93 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 11:29 AM

Saintly - sigh - give me good reasons why you would say that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a8c.jpg (26.0 KB, 79 views)

post #94 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 12:39 PM
Some days are like this.

Quote:
Originally posted by saintly
I hope you're not too disgruntled with Mitsubishi as a result of that story. All Montero's use a Toyota A-340 tranny & tranfer case.
It's also used in jeeps but they call it an AW-4.

Get to hatin on those brands too dude!
Maybe you didn't read where I said I would never consider purchasing another Mitsubishi product as a result? The actual product was junk, and the downtime without a vehicle was still payments I had to make. The SUV was junk, and MMCA wouldn't let us out of the lease, despite it being in the shop on four different occasions for the same thing.

I have a friend that had transmission issues on his Jeep, among many othe issues, so I'm not looking in that direction either.

Next vehicle will probably be a Honda.

And BTW, it's Mrs. Dude.

"I often wonder why I talk to you, then I realize, although you put me down, you do it with love." - Jester
post #95 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Saintly - sigh - give me good reasons why you would say that.
I said a few things: let me see,

(1)The transmission comment is fact. I work in that industry I can provide documentation if needed.

(2) That Blasts are junk is my opinion. I have ridden three of them and know one former owner personally. (one of the 3 that I rode was a demo at a dealer's open house day - it broke on the test ride & I had to walk back to the dealer)

(3) That I nearly torched my firebolt, its rap sheet speaks for itself:
03 XB9R purchased new

Headlamp fuse blowing repeatedly / 14 miles(brand new)

Front brake pulsation / 50 - 75 miles

Primary oil leak / 1000 miles

Left mirror loosened & fell off / 5100 miles

Kickstand bending foward & bike leaning over way too far / warranteed at 6000 miles

Drivebelt frayed & then broke / 6300 miles

New Drivebelt skipping teeth / 7200 miles

Front Rotor warped / 7500 miles

Right Footpeg snapped off / 8000 miles

Tranny popping out of 1st gear under hard acceleration / 8300 miles

Snapped another drivebelt / 8600 miles

Ground stud snapped off / 10,800 miles

Bad ignition coil causing check eng lite, replaced with new / 10,900 miles

Water in primary 3 times in one month due to poor design clutch cable boot. 13,200 - 13,600 miles

Clutch slipping under load, found clutch linings separated from steel cores(possibly due to water in primary?) 13,850 miles.
post #96 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 01:42 PM

Holy Shit!!! Thats enough for me. Light it on fire and ghost ride it off a cliff....

-M-
post #97 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Next vehicle will probably be a Honda.
Good choice! Just steer clear of the pre 1999 passport SUV's, they were infact NOT hondas, but rather Isuzu's with Honda fender badges.

P.S. Where I'm from, "DUDE" is not gender specific. However, in the future I'll try to remember to try "DUDETTE" for applications such as this.
post #98 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 02:06 PM
Some days are like this.

Nope, it will be an Oddesey. Yeah, yeah. Quit laughing, it's painful but necessary.

Where I'm from "dude" usually is male-oriented, but no offense taken.

"I often wonder why I talk to you, then I realize, although you put me down, you do it with love." - Jester
post #99 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 03:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to 97yzfinwyo Send a message via Yahoo to 97yzfinwyo
send em back

Quote:
Originally posted by vaneo1
Gotta love the golden state.
Damn wish we could send some of the Cali's back that moved here. We are just going to have to close the border soon. talk about scewing up a state, they screw there own up then come out here and try to do the same thank god theres alot of wide open space for them to disappear!!!!!!!!
post #100 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 04:52 PM

Such experiences would sour me also, however, I can honestly state that the majority of Buell owners are satisfied with their bikes and that experiences like yours are a definate minority. Every brand produces a bike that will have glitches, however, that does not mean all the bikes are bad, just that one. Such things are noted more with small run bikes - such as BMW, Duccati, and Buell because the ratios of problems is skewed to be greater for small runs of a product - any product. Still - if you check the other boards - here in fact as well - you will see that no bike style is problem free, only that because of the larger number made the few glitched bikes also produced makes for a lesser percentage. Which ever bike you choose in life - remember the goal is to enjoy the ride!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a5c.jpg (26.9 KB, 60 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in