Buell Blast for newbie - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to AllenTC2
Buell Blast for newbie

Okay, I've decided to venture into the lion's den and poke'em with a pointy stick.

My quest for a newbie bike (which I plan on getting in April 03) took me to the local H-D dealer, who shares space with Kawasaki. I went to look at Ninja 250s and 500Rs, but the Blast caught my eye. All the Buells look...unique I guess. After some 'net surfing, I sorta wrote them off, since I heard a lot of nasty things about reliability, etc. But I've also read some good things about them, especially for a brand spankin' new rider (at 35 no less). One really intriguing thing is the "trade-in-at-cost-for-a-bigger-Buell" option.

So in y'all's experience, how would you rate the Blast? How about experiences in trading up? Do they really do that? And what does Buell have interesting to trade up to? I personally like the Cyclone (I think that's what it is) but I've not heard much about it or any of the others. Of course, that may be because I don't kow where to look, but anyway, any advice/input from you Buell-philes would be appreciated.

You have to grow old, but growing up is optional!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 01:11 PM

Ride it first

I don't like the way the Blast shakes. I bought my Cyclone after 2 test rides. I have been riding for 20 years though. One reason to buy a smaller or a used bike, if it's your first it makes the damage repairs cheaper. You will probably "drop" (read that as crash) a first bike a few times. Hopefully it will be soft get offs but the bike still takes some scrapes. If you've ridden awhile even dirt bikes just buy what you like. "Run what you brung" and all that. OK?

Last edited by DIRTYCURTYD; 11-22-2002 at 12:41 PM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 01:20 PM

Thumbs up Blast Experience

My Blast is my first bike. I bought a 2000 with 900 miles on the OD for only $3600 including the remainder of the warranty (about 4 months).

I'll list my grips first...

I needed the waranty, the early bikes used a paper head-gasket which had a tendancy to blow-out every 2000 to 3000 miles. Fortunatly Buell redesigned the part. The gasget is now made of metal and I've got about 10,000 miles logged since the part was last replaced.

The drive belt broke, twice, at 3,000 and 5,000 miles. It's supposed to last at least 15,000 miles. Most other Blastards haven't had this problem. I guess I'm just lucky. Why Buell decided to use a skinny belt instead of the fat sportster model I don't know.

On the 2000 models the paint on the footpeg extensions wore off real easy. From what I've heard the 2003 bikes have the paint problem solved.

And with all of the above I still LOVE THE BIKE. It is a kick! I'ts light, quick, and can do 90mph down the freeway (I'm 6', 190lbs.)

I have 15,000 miles logged on the bike and I don't regrete my decision at all. GO FOR IT! (but get a 2002 or 2003).

Dave

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 01:35 PM

The Buell is a POS compared to the EX250. The lil' Ninja is virtually trouble free with a 15 year proven design. To top that the lil' Ninja will out perform the Blast in every category. The lil' Ninja is very smooth and the Blast shakes all over the place. The lil' Ninja shifts very smoothly like all Kawasaki and the Blast has the Harley clunk. I guess the the only thing going for it is that you can trade it in on another Buell but why spend $10,000 for a bike that won't out perform a 10 year old 600.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 02:59 PM

I can't speak to the Kawa 250 or 500 but I will warn you off Suzuki's 500. The neighbor kid has one and it takes at least 10 minutes to get the thing warmed up to the point that it won't stall when he lets out the clutch for the first time.

At least my Blast is ready to go in about 15-30 sec. An important consideration for me since I commute to Seattle by ferry and don't have a lot of time to wait for my bike to warm-up when the boat reaches the dock.

Dave
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

Just for the record....

.....my choices are pretty limited.

Ideally, I want a 2001-2003 SV650. From all I've read, it's a good beginner bike I can learn on and grow into. I will probably never outgrow it's capabilities. The factor that concerns me here is cost. I've yet to see one of those "No payments for 6 month" deals on Suzuki street bikes, so I'd have to plunk down some of the cash and finance the rest.

My alternate choice is the Ninja 250/500. My concerns with it are resale after I outgrow it, and from all I've heard, I WILL outgrow either of them in a few years, and I'd be depending on the $$ from selling the bike to finance whatever I move up to.

Which is where the Blast enters the picture. Good beginner bike (I've sat on one, but not gotten a test ride yet) with a built in "trade up" option. And I like the bigger Buell's, despite the bad press. That new Lightning is gorgeous!

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 05:20 AM

You might consider buying a used EX250. You can get a relatively new one ('00-'01) for less than $2,000 ride it a year and sell it for about what you paid for it. Now is a good time to buy what ever you will end up with. Bikes are cheaper in the winter. Buy it for cash, carry liability only and use it for a trade in when you buy a bigger, new bike.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 05:45 AM

DID SOMEONE DELETE MY POST ON THIS THREAD?????????????

Once you try track, you never go back.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

SW

Unfortunately the used cycle market in my neck of the woods is ATVs, dirt bikes, and full-dress Harleys in dubious condition. I've not found many (I think I saw two last month) suitable, used beginner bikes here, certainly no Ninja 250s. I check www.cycletrader.com periodically, but no luck so far. maybe things will get better come spring.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 06:09 AM

I have on 01 250

Hey I have a good ninja 250 beginner bike for sale. ITs red/black and is slightly damaged......fell over under carport. Anway...they are excellent learners bikes. They are low maintence and reliable.
I live in Southwestern PA...if your interested...e-mail me at

[email protected]

I can give you pics and more info if you need it. There is absolutley nothing mechically wrong with this bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode