Buell Blast for newbie - Page 3 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 11:54 AM

If you work on a Blast enough you can get it to handle. You can also make the lil' Ninja handle a lot better for about $10. I see a lot more EX250 raced than Blasts. I sold my EX250 to a friend and bought a '95 ZX-6R. I rode the Blast along with the Lightning at Sturgis. I was able to get it up to about 90 mph flat out, nose on the tank.

You can buy a new EX250 for about $3,000 and a slightly used one for about $2,000. Even if the performance of the Blast and the EX250 were similar it would not be a good deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 02:24 PM

if you say so....

First off...show me any dealer in the country selling the the EX250 Ninja for under $3500...Most new ones I've seen are closer to $4k. As for Handling...LOL...sure the Blast can use lots of upgrades to make it a Racer. But then you say you see alot more 250R's on the Track...heck yeah you do...coz they've been around umpteen years and a whole class was devolped for them to compete! Hell, I only know of 3 Blast Roadroacers in the Whole Country (Which ones did YOU see?) BUT out of the box with a 160lb rider, a Blast can handle as well as a rider on a stock EX250R can do. And the Blast doesn't need the gearbox rowed constantly to pass, or keep up, or find the power zone over 10,000rpm !
That Demo (?) Blast you rode at Sturgis was highly USED and abused by the time you rode it...and obviously it wasn't upto par if it only did 90 mph. BTW Every single Stock blast I've ridden can do 85 mph sitting Bolt upright! And that last 10mph does insist you crawl under the paint to achieve.
Well I'm glad you upgraded to a 600cc. Have fun and enjoy your insurance bills.
Just as I'll have as much fun on my lowly lil blast. But I can wait til next year when the 50 H.P. motor is installed and I pick on unsuspecting 600's in the twisities.
The moral of the story, ride what you got and enjoy the ride ;-)
I just Prefer thumpers...and ones that don't look like everything else coming from the land of the rising sun.

Ride On Brother...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18581.jpg (18.6 KB, 95 views)
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 03:18 PM

Yeah, my insurance went up from $78 last year to $101 this year. I wouldn't pick on any unsuspecting 600s unless you get two of those 50 hp engines. I rode something else at Sturgis that you would have gotten a kick out of, the BMW 650 single Dakar. Damned thing was so tall I could barely tough on tip-toes but even with knobbies it handled pretty good. Too bad everything they have costs so much.

Last edited by swjohnsey; 11-10-2003 at 03:22 PM.

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 04:20 PM

Yepper, big thumpers !

Yep, I'm Familiar with the F650's. I have a friend who has one Blast and two F650's. Boy are they tall...but very plush ride. The power ain't much more than a Blast- although it has a higher top end. I just don't like the complexity and top heaviness of that liquid cooled motor. It also sounds like a sewing machine ~LOL.
In my Past I've owned the Yamaha SR500 which I also raced, along with a Honda FT500 Ascot. A few years back I put alot of miles on the Suzuki LS650 Savage.
I've also considered buying the Kawasaki KLR650, but didn't. And I'm really-REALLY tempted to buy a Suzi DRz400s and convert it into Super Motard !
But right now I've really got alot invested in two Blasts. (one street, the other former Flattrack).
And ya know what...I do 100% of the wrenching myself... And I love when people come up and ask what the heck a Buell is ?
I also like it when I do dust bigger bikes in the tight twisties... They really don't have any advantage in the turns as I can run right inside and pass em... scares the shit out the newbies too. But of course the the straights is where they blow me away !
But in the mountains and backroads where I live. I've blown away every single 250 ninja, about "3" EX500's two KLR650's , my friends 2 BMW F650's , a VTR250 , an old Honda FT500 Ascot like I owned, a raggedy GS450, a Ducati 600 monster and a MotoGuzzi 850 Lemans. But I never try for the really serious bikes...coz I don't want to be responsible for them crashing when they overcook it in the turns trying to out corner me...besides- they do embarrass be on the straights... Ya know, the "OLD" Mini Coopers used to give the Corvettes fits in the corners too ;-)
Nice chattin' with ya friend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mike3.jpg (18.8 KB, 100 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in