Buell Surprises Me. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Buell Surprises Me.

I have ridden for 22 years non-stop. Bikes owned include all japanese models (Suzuki GS1100E, RD's and RZ's, Goldwings and zx-7's) until this 1999 Buell. Here are the things that surprised me, good and bad, since riding and owning it.

1. The low-end torque and HP all the way from just off idle to it's rather short redline. The bike pulls hard without having to rev her up (good because it doesn't rev out anyway).
2. Feels hooked up in adverse conditions. In local thundersqualls I still feel comfortable leaning her over. I hypothesize it is the low center of gravity and the heavy flywheel but I am not sure.
3. The belt-drive, NO MORE chain lube all over everything and adjusting chains. Haven't really adjusted the drive belt much in over 30,000 mile or so.
4. Parts cost MUCH less than japanese bikes. Turn signals and tail light lens, 6 or 7 dollars. Brake lever, 20 dollars. Japs always ran twice as much.
5. Replaced 3 or 4 or 5 speedo sensors. They are magnetic and seem to just quit working at times.
6. Idle shake is high, but the carb model is better than the fuel injection.
7. Mine has been reliable and I have over 30 or 40 thousand miles on it, not sure because speedo sensor goes out.
8. Good street bike, not a race bike, but still quick.
9. I don't feel as dead-rock stable at speeds up to and over 100mph as on my previous ZX-7's (2, 1989 & 1997).
10. H/D replaced the rear shock with their new Penske (I think) model 2 years out of warranty with a good will gesture and only charged 100 dollars.
11. I replaced and had to pay for brake disc out of warranty and couldn't believe Buell wouldn't pay for it after it WORE OUT in a year.
12. Lots of aftermarket HD specialty shops that will work on the bike when it needs tires, etc., but I still carry the workshop manual in with me anyhow.
13. The BIGGEST surprise is the abuse from the jap bikers, I was used to that from the HD folks and didn't care for it too much then. Now I get it backwards from the jap folks, just AMAZING.
14. HD Insurance, full coverage is only about about 350 dollars per year.

My experience with recalls is that alot of bike brands have them and H/D did a total recall on the entire bike line to cover themselves on little things after they bought out Buell. Pretty responsible actually. I hope Buell makes it and I might even buy another one. I don't know if HD will support them long enough to turn a profit. But they have sold 100,000 bikes so far, according to figures I heard here, and their real prices end up being in the sub 10,000 range on all models after they need to get the models moving from the showroom. I only paid 8 for the 1999 M2 even though it was a first year model. What do other actual riders think of these opinions?
KEEP THE DIRTY SIDE DOWN...

Last edited by DIRTYCURTYD; 06-13-2002 at 01:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 12:38 AM

excellent post!!!!!

i love my buell. as for every thing you said i tottaly agree with you.
i have already replaced my speedo sensor, but hay it was cheap and easy to do. as for other people bashing your bike well we just have to get used to it. i think it's just because its a harley engine and just about every one here hates harleys or so it seems. plus just being the new kid on the block doesnt help, but i think that most people just fear what they dont know and are scared of the new kid elbowing in on there territory as for the looks i love it. why?? because to an untrained eye all sport bikes look the same they are all covered in plastic farings. i get more comments on my bike than any thing else. i never get the comment" is that one of those ninja bikes?". as i get to looking at other bikes now i can pick em out and tell what they are and if i like em but to a person who knows nothing about bikes thats a different matter. i love having a belt no lube it's great!! as for all that low end torque and get up and go i love it. i have noticed that going over 100 is a lil bit scary but i think alot of that has to do with the short wheel base. also the line of motor upgrades is endless and the knowledge of the engine is just as much. i have it already in mind on what i would like to do but that is a whole nother post. i feel comfy doing 80 to 90 mph. as i always put it though i bought a sport bike not a racer bike. in the real world on my daily drive will i see over 100 mph???no. as i drive down a 35mph street and need to speed up to get around an obstical well there comes in the low end torque. my next bike someday i really would like an aprilia falco, but on the other hand if hd ever gives up the v-rod engine to buell and they put it in a fire bolt type frame it's all mine . good to here from a buell owner i kinda feel like the loner around here. i could go over to bad weather but it's just too fun over here.

there's hope in the words and emotion in the eyes
it's so easy to be misled by the savvy gentle guise
and like fools we trust the delivery
but it's all just drunk sincerity
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

Aprilia Falco

I rode my friends the other day and actually was glad to get back on the Buell. It is a great bike, smoother at idle, more stable at speeds, revs up quick like a true sportbike. I have been away from the racer crouch position for a few years now and like being more upright. Buell is infinitely superior to any racer bike when I put my wife on with me. I still haven't figured any other reason than cosmetic why they park the passenger so high in the air behind the driver. I believe they are just trying to mimic a solo saddle look but it drastically affects handling, passenger comfort and safety.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 09:09 AM

ya i kinda had that impression to. when i first got my x1 my dad took my mom out for a ride on it. my mom commented how it was much smoother and alot more comfortable than my dads harley. and my dad said he felt alot more comfy taking harder leans on it than on his bike. although im not at the point in my riding career to have any one ride on the back of my bike ive only been riding for about 6 months now so we will see in another year of riding or so, but i guess my ugly face will have to start looking for someone to sit on the back

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

UGLY FACE??

That's what full face helmets and mirrored faceshields are for. It also works pretty good on some passengers. But it has been a decade or so since I have had to know. No problems in that department, now.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Buell Looks Fine, and so did she

On my 1999 in 1999 it was the first time I actually got flagged over in traffic by a knockout babe in a custom mustang, asking about the bike and going for a ride later. She told me where she worked but I was just cruising in and out of St. Pete that day and never caught back up to her. I know that never happened before on any of my jap homogonized one look fits all bikes.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 04:26 PM

i must admit i love that look on a girls face when you pull up on your bike. they just have this "oh my god i love him already look" i love that. plus we have two things going for us not only does it look fast like other race bikes even a lil bit better cause it looks so mean. it also has that harley rumble. you just cant loose . well till you take your helmet off. . i went out and bought a tinted face sheild and it looks really sweet. i just sit on my bike and pretend im racer x from speed racer . i dont think my neighbors next door apreciated{sp} my racing noises in the drive way but hay it was fun!!!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 01:15 PM

Favorite Hardly story...

Actually one of many...

I'm down visiting my folks in Southern Oregon an am sitting at a light waiting to turn left to get gas. Here comes a Harley guy on a Billet aluminum monstrocity going the same way I'm turning so I wave, being the friendly guy I am, and this prick flips me off! That's cool, whatever, I return the gesture as he goes speeding through the intersection out the HW towards I-5.

I get gas and head out that way to hit I-5 and ride home and as I'm turning onto the freeway ramp I see queer boy with his Hardly smoking on the side of the ramp. Now...I could have been the good guy and stopped...NAAAAH! I promptly poped the front wheel off the ground and flipped him the bird as I shot by.

I'm cool with people who ride Buell's. I ride something different and as far as I'm concerned that's all. I don't buy being a dick just because someone prefers a different bike.

BTW, I won't buy a Buell till Hardly dumps their current marketing campaign and adopts a real sportbike motor.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 10:31 PM

would you consider a buell if they dumped the v-rod engine in it???
i find it kinda odd that the new fire bolt is set up almost perfictly for the engine. like how the bolt has its gas tank in the frame and uses the the place were a gas tank would be as the place were the air filter is??? its just like the v-rod except the gas tank is under the seat hmmmm just seems a lil bit odd. it's pretty cool that porche helped design the engine. as for some of the harley guys ya some are dicks some aren't. as for buell's it's kinda like the harley guys like ya or hate ya and the other sport bike riders love ya or hate ya, but for me i bought my bike for me and no one else. couple weeks ago i pulled up on a set of lights and there was this guy on a harley and he told me to get a real bike and sped off really fast(well in harley standards) so i take off normally then really get on it so i catch him doing like seventy flip him the bird so he tries to speed up (more sound than speed) so i keep with him for a lil bit then i down shifted got on it and blew past him doing like 100mph. you should have seen his face when he looked over at me when i was smokin his ass...pure joy

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 04:40 PM

Question Engine from ground up

The V-Rod engine in a Buell is an interesting proposition.

I'd rather see Erik Buell design a completely new engine. The XB series is quite technologically advanced. It's amazing the kind of bike Buell created with that engine from the 1950's. There is no reason (except for HD being in control) he can't partner up with an engine builder and build a dominating sportbike.

Man, it sucks that Buell is owned by HD!

Mike
2003 Buell XB9R Firebolt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode