Whats up with this Buell situation?!?!? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to vertigo690 Send a message via Yahoo to vertigo690
Unhappy Whats up with this Buell situation?!?!?

Maybe some people here can lend some additional advice to me. Last year I started riding. I wanted a bike that sounded loud and cool. A bike that looked tuff and had the power to back it up. I seemed to get all of these things in an X1.

I ride with sport bikes and Harleys. I have cranked my bike off the line with a few sport bikes and seem to be out in front all the time (note I am not an experienced rider and more than likely the bikes I've rode with aren't experienced either). I haven't done any extended high speed racing but I've hit 140 (speedometer stops at 140 so I wouldnt know how much faster I could go). All in all this bike seems like a great choice and people everywhere seem to dig it when they see (or hear it-- V&H slip on added).

I haven't had a single mechanical problem so far. So my question is why does everyone seem to dog Buell so much? I've read good and bad reviews but it almost seem like a racial thing against Buell....or is there something I don't know that's bad about Buell?

I'm about to purchase another bike (because they are so damn addicting). I am looking around at my options and am liking the Firebolt. But I can't help still feeling confused about all the controversy behind Buell. I read one review that says its the best bike every made...then the next review just laughs and says its a sorry attempt by Harley.

Whats up?!?!?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 08:58 AM

Buell problems

hey vertigo690...

Maybe a LOT of people have had similar experiences as I have with Buell. I purchase a 1998 M2... nothing but problems... leaking valve covers, oil drain line wearing thru on the swingarm (increadably bad design!), bad kick stand switch, squirrely through the curves (they eventially replaced the swingarm, it didn't help), kinking fuel tank vent that caused the engine to shut down, oil foaming problems, uncomforatable seat, engine shook so much it rattled my teeth at stopsigns, cheap brake and throttle controls (looked like toys), they replaced the front engine mount and shock on a warranty campaign, etc.

Nothing but problems.... and I couldn't beat a 600cc rice burner! So I am now the proud owner of a Honda F4i, ALSOLUTELY NO COMPARISON - the Honda is way better built and absolutely faster, quarter mile in 10.6 sec. and that is with an engine half the displacement of the Buell.

Well that is my opinion and I am sticking with it....
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 09:45 AM

You can NOW add a speedometer to the list of Buell problems

The is no way a stock Buell will hit 140mph. Then again, if you got the option with the 40ft chrome sail and you took that bike down Matterhorn with gale force winds.......yeah, then it's possible.

My tombstone will read: "It seemed like a good idea at the time."

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 09:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to dtlaine
I think that the reason for mixed reviews about Buells is Buell's own fault. They try to market their bike as a sportbike, which it kinda' is, but not in the sense of a CBR, ZX*R, R1, R6, or GSX-R. If you try to compare a Japanese bike and a Buell, the Buell will get laughed at. It seems that a Buell is a fine choice for what you want. I can't say I'd ever buy one, but I enjoy dragging my pegs through corners and going 0-60 in under 3 seconds. If you are reviewing the bike, and you're not looking for that kind of stuff, then they will get great reviews. The firebolt is not a Japanese sportbike. No matter what Buell claims, it just simply isn't as good. It's sportier than the other Buells of the past, though, and it may be a fine choice for yourself.

140 on a Buell does seem a little fast. I'm not calling you a liar, I'm just saying that your speedo is probably off by 10-20 MPH at that speed.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 10:35 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fatman
Quote:
Originally posted by desmo
You can NOW add a speedometer to the list of Buell problems

The is no way a stock Buell will hit 140mph. Then again, if you got the option with the 40ft chrome sail and you took that bike down Matterhorn with gale force winds.......yeah, then it's possible.
You're right desmo. My friends Buell X-1 is real close to red line at 120 mph. Buells are fun bikes to ride, just don't expect them to win any drag races. Who cares about going fast in a straight line anyway?

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 10:39 AM

I think the bolt is going to be a different animal all together. Except for being down on power it should be a great canyon bike by the sound of the reviews I've seen. As far as that not so great reliability, we'll have to wait and see?????????

Repeal helmet laws, they only protect people we most likely don't need in the gene pool any way!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 11:08 AM
Founder

We had a Harley Dealer bring a Firebolt for demo rides out to the track this past Sunday. While it was down on power I must say it was very smooth in the corners. I did not get a chance to ride it though, but I know Wayne (Mongrel Racing) got to ride it, so you might want to get the full scoop from him.

They also brought a bunch of "Blasts" out (Total dogs) and a VRod. Man, that VRod had no pegs left by the end of the day.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 11:16 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fatman
Re: Buell problems

Quote:
Originally posted by smudge
hey vertigo690...

Maybe a LOT of people have had similar experiences as I have with Buell. I purchase a 1998 M2... nothing but problems... leaking valve covers, oil drain line wearing thru on the swingarm (increadably bad design!), bad kick stand switch, squirrely through the curves (they eventially replaced the swingarm, it didn't help)
I don't know about the rest of your M2s problems, but the squirrely handeling might have been an inproperly adjusted suspension. I've ridden Buells ( M-2s, X-1s and the XB9r) they all handled good. My bandit wallowed like a drunk elephant and was scary to ride fast until I re-valved the forks and replaced the rear shock.
My Jap bikes have had a fair share of problems, leaky valve covers and such. My bandit has been in the shop no less than five time for warranty repairs in three years, the last one was for the carburetors pissing gas everywhere. I know someone who put over 100,000 miles on a honda cbr600f2 but his tranny blew up twice during his bikes long life. Bikes will break, some more than others. It depends on how hard you are on them, or not.

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 06:49 PM

Re: Re: Buell problems

Quote:
Originally posted by Fatman

I don't know about the rest of your M2s problems, but the squirrely handeling might have been an inproperly adjusted suspension. I've ridden Buells ( M-2s, X-1s and the XB9r) they all handled good. My bandit wallowed like a drunk elephant and was scary to ride fast until I re-valved the forks and replaced the rear shock.
My Jap bikes have had a fair share of problems, leaky valve covers and such. My bandit has been in the shop no less than five time for warranty repairs in three years, the last one was for the carburetors pissing gas everywhere. I know someone who put over 100,000 miles on a honda cbr600f2 but his tranny blew up twice during his bikes long life. Bikes will break, some more than others. It depends on how hard you are on them, or not.
It's a law of mass production that there's a lemon in every batch. The question is, how many bikes are in one batch??? What I'm getting at is how many Honda owners have quality problems? Of course some people do. But what's the ratio of good bikes to lemons regarding Buells compared to Hondas?? I heard from a used bike dealer (who will NOT accept Buells on a trade) that he read in an article that Buell has recalled nearly 70,000 bikes in the last 5 years.

But as you implied, anything can happen, regardless of what brand you buy.

At any rate that's my 10 cents...

Ride Safe

"I'm not crazy, I simply have the heart of a child and the faith of a saint..."
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 07:47 PM

Re: Whats up with this Buell situation?!?!?

Quote:
Originally posted by vertigo690
Maybe some people here can lend some additional advice to me. Last year I started riding. I wanted a bike that sounded loud and cool. A bike that looked tuff and had the power to back it up. I seemed to get all of these things in an X1. I haven't done any extended high speed racing but I've hit 140 (speedometer stops at 140 so I wouldnt know how much faster I could go). All in all this bike seems like a great choice and people everywhere seem to dig it when they see (or hear it-- V&H slip on added).

I haven't had a single mechanical problem so far. So my question is why does everyone seem to dog Buell so much? I've read good and bad reviews but it almost seem like a racial thing against Buell....or is there something I don't know that's bad about Buell?

I'm about to purchase another bike (because they are so damn addicting). I am looking around at my options and am liking the Firebolt. But I can't help still feeling confused about all the controversy behind Buell. I read one review that says its the best bike every made...then the next review just laughs and says its a sorry attempt by Harley.

Whats up?!?!?!
I ride with sport bikes and Harleys. I have cranked my bike off the line with a few sport bikes and seem to be out in front all the time (note I am not an experienced rider and more than likely the bikes I've rode with aren't experienced either).

Hello fellow Buellers,

A Buell X1 will come pretty close to 140. My TROUBLEFREE 2000 M2 Cyclone tops out at a little over 130. The M2 has milder cams then the X1 and carries 10 less HP. Although the M2 would take an X1 up to say 60. I think 140 is very possible on the X1.

Buell had lots of Problem with their older bikes say 1998 models on down. They have gotten rid of the bugs that plagued those earlier models. The leaky rocker box covers are common on Buell and Sporties. Harley has a permanant fix which is metal rocker box gaskets. If you have a 2001 model on down you will have a rocker box leak. Just a matter of time. When it happens make sure the HD mechanic puts those new metal gaskets on instead of the old paper ones. If you don't tell them not too most likely they will put the paper ones on and you will be back in a few more monthes and get those replaced

The Firebolt is a excellent ride. I have yet to hear a bad review on it and have seen it several times. It is made very well and the rocker boxes on it will NOT leak. :-)

A Buell will take most bikes off the line due to its long stroke. Also, the Buell has some very good roll on power. Something these inline fours lack. You want to sqeeze power out of them (inline fours)you have to downshift or pull in the clutch and rev her up to ten grand. Buells are street bikes. That is what they are designed to be. Most of the Jap sportbikes are Race replicas which are very fast but, IMHO not very good for street use. Figure my M2 gets about 48 mpg with a 5.1 gallion tank. Try that on a Gixxer. I bet a gixxer barely gets 30 mpg plus it has a smaller tank and the seat is very uncomfortable not to mention the riding position. Most likely a torture rack on long trips and a terrible in town bike . The Buell is great to knock around town on due to its responsive throttle and very friendly powerband. It does not bog down when going slow and you do not have to keep up the RPMs.

Regards

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode