Whats up with this Buell situation?!?!? - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desmo
You can NOW add a speedometer to the list of Buell problems

The is no way a stock Buell will hit 140mph. Then again, if you got the option with the 40ft chrome sail and you took that bike down Matterhorn with gale force winds.......yeah, then it's possible.
An X1 could very well go 140 mph of course why would you want to go 140? How do you like those valve adjustments every 6000 miles at $500.00 a pop on the Duc?:-)

Regards

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2002, 07:19 PM

Re: Re: Whats up with this Buell situation?!?!?

Quote:
Originally posted by mfell2112

A Buell will take most bikes off the line due to its long stroke. Also, the Buell has some very good roll on power. Something these inline fours lack. You want to sqeeze power out of them (inline fours)you have to downshift or pull in the clutch and rev her up to ten grand. Buells are street bikes. That is what they are designed to be. Most of the Jap sportbikes are Race replicas which are very fast but, IMHO not very good for street use. Figure my M2 gets about 48 mpg with a 5.1 gallion tank. Try that on a Gixxer. I bet a gixxer barely gets 30 mpg plus it has a smaller tank and the seat is very uncomfortable not to mention the riding position. Most likely a torture rack on long trips and a terrible in town bike . The Buell is great to knock around town on due to its responsive throttle and very friendly powerband. It does not bog down when going slow and you do not have to keep up the RPMs.

Regards

Mike
Hi Mike

With all due respect, here are some facts:

*I just rode 3 hours today on my gixxer and my body feels fine. Ergonomics are different to everybody. However you're 100% right about the seat. Mr. Corbin save my ASS!!!!!!!!

* Doing roll ons and 14,000 RPM shots in 1st gear I still got 44 MPG today. (Station to station at a cruising speed: just over 50 mpg)

* After my 1st 900 miles on my GSXR-600 I'm positive it's as quick or possibly quicker off the line to 60 as my Hayabusa was. Giving you the benefit of the doubt probably being a better drag racer as I usually aim for clean takeoffs and am not an expert by any means at lauching bikes, your M2's front tire would probably at best be at my swingarm when we hit 60..after that..you know the result.

You may want to try riding one of those BRAND X'ERS!!!
You may realize that you're underestimating in line 4's...even the tiny 600's

I respect that you enjoy your machine, but the only bikes a Buell will walk off the line are cruisers, tourers, street class, and other Buells. Forget about the "repli-rice-burners"

Lets get together sometime and swap. Send me a PM if you wish

All the Best
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2002, 08:06 PM

Quote:
An X1 could very well go 140 mph of course why would you want to go 140? How do you like those valve adjustments every 6000 miles at $500.00 a pop on the Duc?:-)
Um, 140 with speedo error - I'd love to see a radar gun on a stock X1 doing 140.

Besides that, you'll have to do a bit of research. I own a Monster. (For the unenlighted, that's a 2-valve motor.) The valve adjustments on 2-valve desmos are only about $150-$200.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2002, 04:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to phalanx
Quote:
Originally posted by apexismaximus
I think the bolt is going to be a different animal all together. Except for being down on power it should be a great canyon bike by the sound of the reviews I've seen. As far as that not so great reliability, we'll have to wait and see?????????
This past week, I brought my KZ-1100 to get inspected at a local harley/Buell dealership. While the guy was checking my bike, I asked him if they had a V-Rod on the showroom floor that I could take a look at because I had never seen on in person before. He looked up and said he could do me one better. He continued to say that they are demoing 10 different bikes that day and I could go out front and talk to the guy and they would let me take it out. Needless to say, I jumped at that opportunity!

I took out 2 bikes, the V-Rod and the Buell Firebolt. I could care less about taking a new sportster for a spin! The V-Rod is imense! Porshe sure as hell knows how to build an engine. It is definitely not a slouch by any means! Its also makes you lean forward to reach the controls more than any harley I have ever ridden. The pegs and pipes are way to low for what that bike is capable of!

The Firebolt is a whole different beast. It was definitely underpowered after riding the V-rod but the bike was far lighter. Much lighter then I expected. I couldn't tell for sure but it got up to speed very quickly. In the corners, the Firebolt is a dream! It carves corners so well I didn't want to give the bike back to them! One thing I didn't really care for was the size of the swingarm once I saw it in person. Its seems grossly oversized even though the bike is fairly light. If the firebolt only had more horsepower, I would definitely put it on my future bike list. I'm still kicking myself for not going back to demo the bike again! Buell definitely has a winner in my book! I just want to see V-Rod power in it!

I prefer to step lightly and carry a BIG stick...
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2002, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by phalanx
One thing I didn't really care for was the size of the swingarm once I saw it in person. Its seems grossly oversized even though the bike is fairly light.

It is the oil tank you know, and contributes to chasis regidity.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 12:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to phalanx
Quote:
Originally posted by apexismaximus

It is the oil tank you know, and contributes to chasis regidity.

I realize that, but it still does not make it look any better.

I prefer to step lightly and carry a BIG stick...
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 11:16 PM

70,000 bike recalled in 5 years?

gsx in the city, your "used bike saleman" is full of crap! Buell had produced only 25,000 bike in its entire life as of Aug. 2001. Try again motorcycle recall expert/used bike salesperson I have owned several jap rockets, the last was a 94 ZX9R Ninja (dynoed 138 rear wheel after some mods), had good luck with all my Kaw's and Yam's. The bolt is a bike you buy when your not ready to cruise, but to old to sport 150 mph drunk on the hwy (21 years old on a 94 ZX9R, all balls, no brains 8 years ago, no wreck though) It is what it is, if it doesn't fit your riding style, don't buy it. I decided all theses years I've ridden big bikes to hide the fact I couldn't really ride (straight line power to catch up after getting smoked in a turn). I have signed up for track days and will have to learn to ride this bike or get drug all over town. No extra ponnies for the underskilled.

ps, i'm real, lots of guys claiming 170 ponies, 150 ponies, and similar, that is crap, downhill dynos i guess. easy to talk smack but the zx9r was real fast at 138 hp in the mid 90's. acording to the other post's, everyne has a prostock drag bike but me.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 11:32 AM

Re: Whats up with this Buell situation?!?!?

Quote:
Originally posted by vertigo690
I've read good and bad reviews but it almost seem like a racial thing against Buell.....
That's almost exactly on point. The jap boys have had to listen to so much trashing from the Harley folks over the years, they just want to try and re-inflate their bruised egos. I bought my M2 after 20 years on japs because I enjoyed the torque. Great around town and I am looking now at the new Lightning. The M2 design was a little primitive but no major trouble in 4 years. I guess i was "lucky". You wouldn't believe what I pay for HD Insurance, full coverage is around $350.00.

Last edited by DIRTYCURTYD; 02-17-2003 at 08:17 AM.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 05:10 AM

I dont think that the Buell problems are only for the 98 and older models. My buddy and I both bought 2000 m2s brand new and both of us had nothing but problems. When i would take it back to the harley dealership they always just said "well its a right of passage on a buell". Not to mention i had to finish adding what buell didnt; tachometer, jetting, getting rid of that ugly bread box on the side, and the damn thing still doesnt have a gas guage. i dont know about you guys, but i would rather be ridin then wrenchin' . I finally sold it (at least it held its value) and bought a zrx, so far with 4000 hard miles and not a single problem

and by the way dirtycurty, my zrx makes a lot more torque than the buell, and it doesnt feel as John Deerish, and full coverage is $400 less than my m2 for a 20 year old ($350/yr vs $750 with the buell)

and for all you Buell riders out there claiming they are reliable, have you ever read the bumper sticker that asks "If Harley made an airplane, would you fly in it?"

Last edited by hillbillypimpin; 02-24-2003 at 07:46 AM.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by desmo
Um, 140 with speedo error - I'd love to see a radar gun on a stock X1 doing 140.

Bringing an old topic back from the dead.

No a stock X1 will not hit 140. However they will do 139mph as confirmed by both GPS & a MA state trooper radar gun.

The XB9 is good for 133mph, the M2 is 132mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode