?greybike? exotic? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

?greybike? exotic?

I've been interested in acquiring a greybike (cbr400) for a while now. I have not seen any in the states. I haven't even found anywhere that would export one to the U.S. Does anyone know how I can get one?:)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 11:29 AM
that one guy

i used to have a link that originally got from here.. but its not in my favorites n e more.. sorry.

email mongrell racing.. he will probably have something.

if none of that works try these sites.. they probably have an answer for u...

www.rscycles.com (they currently r taking orders for 2k2 NSR 500s for only $90,000 plus shipping )

pls do us a favor.. if u find one.. post it here for us.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 12:29 AM

Dood,

Do you have any friends in the Navy or Marines? They may have friends who are stationed in Okinawa Japan.

You could give them the cash to buy the bike for you... the trick is to find someone who is moving back to the states because they can bring the bike back as part of their "household goods"....

And the best part of this is that you dont have to pay taxes and shipping is free courtesty of the US government!

Just an idea.

M.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 02:22 AM

Funny you ask...

G-Force Performance is just getting set-up to import 400s. Around $3k. Give Mike Norman a call 408-244-8090.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 06:22 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
i hear they are getting picky with household goods now too.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 06:25 PM

I don't have a lot of experience with bikes, but I used to direct import a stack of cars from Japan when I was living overseas. Side business.

The Japanese have a super tough annual inspection called a shaken which makes keeping older vehicles expensive. So stuff around 10yrs old is virtually worthless over there. 8yo Toyota Corollas with about 60,000km ( < 40,000miles ) with full electrics, aircon etc etc sell for USD80 at auction. Not a misprint, you get change from a C note. I would buy from a local agent in Nagoya ( who loaded commission ) and still only pay USD800-1000 for mint tricked up low km Honda Preludes, Mazda 323/familia turbos etc.

Cars are sent RORO ( roll on/roll off ) but bikes need to be packed in a container. ( I used to buy a few cars so occassionally would buy a Hiace van and get them to thro a dirt bike in the back - no good since US is LHD ). Bikes can be sent FCL ( full container load ) or break bulk ( sit on the wharf till space available in someone elses container ). A container generally holds about 20bikes, and should cost around USD3000 to ship to US ???
If you could get a cycle club together, you could realistically expect to pick up 20 bikes at USD3-500 each top $$, then ship the container load home.

You have to realise in Japan tens of thousands of these bikes are auctioned each week and they really are treated as junk. Can't sell them on the local market, so unless they export them they are crushed and used as landfill.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 10:12 AM

titomike.......what a concept...I have been dealing with a grey bike dealer on an nsr 250se and what you just explains makes sense with all that is happening with his business practices. He sells bikes and they turn out to be salvage bikes...most older than 10 years. Tradendeal.com Stay away...lots of people paying top dollar for pieced together bikes...and waiting 6 months to get them if at all!

Anyway...thanks for that tidbit!

Dirk

Dirk
A monkey can go fast in a straight line.....when they can drag thier knees...I'll be impressed!
00 CBR929rr
92 NC30
92 NSR250se
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2003, 06:26 PM

Are there alot of sportbikes available? And how would someone get thier foot in the door to getting a couple sent over hear. Also are these bikes salvage or just dated bikes that have never been wrecked???

CycleForums UserName: Gylz

"Don't live your life by each breath you take. But rather, by the things that take your breath away."
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 07:39 PM

Well they're nearly all sportbikes. Japan is a very image concious country so the 2002 models are soooo last year.

Thay have an annual vehicle inspection known as a shaken which is pretty tough. Often cheaper to just replace something more than a few years old than fix it, hence old bikes/cars are virtually worthless.

There is even a market for (non factory) ex race bikes as well you could look into. I never bought any but I'm sure they are available over the net. Like any ex race bike it has probably been thrown up the road once or twice but that's always reflected in the pricing.

Like anything you need to find a reputable supplier. Shop around on the net and check out the chat rooms.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2003, 11:52 AM

a friend and I have been looking into get bikes from japan over here a while ago.. I was looking at the zxr 400 or the rvf400.. but we ran into a few problems the biggest one was registering them out here... the problem was that they only have 7 or 8 VIN numbers... theres very few people that have done it.. it is possible but too much of a hassel... so we gave up.. he bought an r6 and i bought my wife a gsxr6...

there are a few dealer one that was in austrailia.. i look for the website.. the bikes were like $3-4k shipped...

Marco
AZoutlawsrc.com

"ItS nOt TrAdGiC tO dIe DoInG sOmEtHiNg YoU lOvE"

"And now THE answer to why Kawasaki's are heavier:
It is a factory added handicap that allows riders on other bike brands a chance to Keep up with you!"
- Sportcycles.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode