Sportbike World banner

opinions on a 94 honda cbr 900

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  newrider78 
#1 ·
I'm looking at one for sale for 3000-3500. Not sure on the price yet. Its lowered an inch or two which i would get done to whatever bike i get anyway. What all should i look for on this particulatr bike. Any good or bad thoughts would help.

#2 ·
bike of choice for stuntas, but as a newbie (I'm assuming by your name), you should be looking elsewhere. Must........resist........urge.......too.........suggest.....starting......SMALLER! Damn, I couldn't resist. BTW, welcome:D

#3 · (Edited)
I'm new to the sportbike riding (i have ridden but not a lot). I have a 2004 harley softail and have owned and ridden dirt bikes, 3 and 4 wheers since i was 8. I am looking to purchase a street bike and a friends of mine (female) owns the honda. I don't have a hell of a lot of knowlege on sport bikes at least that one in particular. I was just looking for some pointers on that bike.

#4 ·
CBR 900RR

Well, not sure exactly what you are wanting to know, but here's some general information I know about the bike.

First of all, it's a very light bike. As I recall, a wet weight of 457 pounds. Many credit the CBR 900 with really starting the trend towards making the open class bike lighter and lighter. CBR 900's typically put down between 110-115 rear wheel horsepower and run mid 10's in the quarter mile. For someone used to riding cruisers, this level of performance will be nothing short of astounding to you. Be careful with that throttle at first- it will be a big adjustment! However, given that you've already ridden, and currently own a streetbike, I don't think it is out of the question for you to get on board this bike.

Another big adjustment for you is going to be in the handling of the bike. Sportbikes in general handle very well and have extremely quick responses when compared to cruiser bikes. The CBR 900 is the same but even more so. When the CBR was introduced in 1993, Honda made the bike with a 16-inch front wheel, and all CBR 900's have this. At the time, and to present day, virtually all sportbikes employ the use of 17-inch wheels. So Honda's use of a 16-inch was a bit unconventional. What this means is that the CBR 900 is known to be a bit TOO responsive on the front end. Some have even characterized it as "twitchy". You won't be in any danger, just keep in mind that this bike's front end is very sensitive to control inputs. I am not sure how the lowering of the bike, which you mentioned, would impact the handling. If not having been done properly, it could make the bike yet even more twitchy.

#5 ·
Thanks. Thats the type of info i was looking for. As for lowering it, when i was at honda the salesmen stated that lowering a bike would effect its handling a little. I am hoping to take this bike for a ride in the next day or two. Some of the other types of questions i had was are there any certain things that went wrong with this bike that should be checked out before buying one? Or are they pretty much all around a well built bike? Thanks again for the info.

#6 ·
We had an F4 lowered and the only thing it affected was that we had less lean angle. The parts that hit first were the pegs, so rearsets could alleviate this to some extent probably. The shop we had it done at basically said to lower the front and rear by the same amounts and everything should be fine. If yours was done correctly I would assume it would be similar to ours.

#8 ·
No that's fine milage for the bike. If it runs well today then it will likely do so for a long time to come.

Lowering it MAY make it handle differently but unless you're on a race track or real good twisties and riding pretty hard, you won't likely notice it much. Being your first sportbike, you probably won't notice a thing. This assumes they did it right and lowered the front and rear the same amount or the front slightly more than the rear.

How did they lower it is the big question?? Mostly I wouldn't worry about it as long as you've ridden it and it's handling is acceptable to you.

And I am not aware of any common problems you should be on the lookout for, good bike.

#10 ·
You can check www.kbb.com or www.nadaguides.com for a reference price. Others may be able to tell you off of the top of their heads though.

As far as how long will they last? If properly taken care of a very long time. I beliebe Dad has a bike well over 100k at this point.

#11 · (Edited)
The short wheel base & from where the s/arm pivots it was looked upon as the wheelie king at the time.

Many of those owning one did not like the 16" front wheel as choice of tyres is not as good plus some did not like the handeling & were going to big expenses to switch to a 17" front.

I rejected the bike outright due to to much power, hodling down the front end & loose front end control when shifting with power on, for I did try out several of them owned by others.

The introduction of the 929 gave one the 17"front wheel & basically EVERYTHING has been changed bar it having 4 pots & name of Honda. PLUS the s/arm is part of the engine casing & so that hairy spot has been iliminated due to a longer s/arm.

Personally I feel it is way to much for one that has not riden a sportbike & felt at home on a smaller sportbike sort of like oranges & hamburgers.

Still who am I other then one that has a Yamaha YZF600r, Honda 929 & Honda 954 in my garage plus plus lot of prior knowledge on cafe racers & prior sportbikes.

Seems now even total beginners can buy 1000cc sportbikes & expect to ride them with no thought about their safety. I guess we will just have to wait till the accidents start to toll up in the next few yrs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.