ninja 600 suspension - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2001, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

A couple of odd questions here. Recently I bought an 85 ninja 600, immediately of course I bought a Clymers manual to go with it... Heres the questions.

1. Front suspension. the bike has ESCS suspension (electronic suspension). The wire to the ESCS unit on the right fork has been cut and removed (purposely it looks). Why would an owner do that? The front suspension seems to be just fine. There is an adjuster knob on this unit, how does this work?

2. Rear suspension. How do I adjust it? the manual is not clear on this.

Hopefully someone can help with this....

mark
seattle, WA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 12:30 PM
Squidwannabe

Hey man,

The ESCS is just an anti dive unit. If you look on the knob there are 3 settings. I think 1 was the softest and 3 was hardest. The ESCS was activated when the brake lever was pulled in.

If you put your front tire against the wall and pushed down on the bars, the bike would bottom out with ease. If you pull in the brake and do the same the forks are way stiffer...

If the wire was/is cut then forget it ! Its probably out of action. On my 89 ninja, I felt that sometimes when pumping the brakes the unit would not work ?? The bike would result in bottoming out , not a nice sound or feeling.

Im just guessing but, the guy probably installed stiffer springs and thick oil and ditched the ESCS...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 12:33 PM
Squidwannabe

Is the rear shock the one with an air valve on the left side and a knob on the right ?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2001, 02:40 PM

Ninja 600R suspension

I had a 1986 Ninja 600 a long while ago, I beleive you adjust the rear suspension by removing the right side panel. Underneath, you will find an air valve (like a car tire) into which you pump air. More air makes the suspension firmer, less air makes it softer. It's actually a pretty cool system.

Make sure not to OVERFILL the shock!- it will rupture the seal and require a complete replacement. Your owners manual should specify the psi setting range.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 11:09 PM
6T9

Question

I have the same suspension setup and a mechanic told me not to put regular air in, that you should have someone fill with nitogen.

Also, anybody know if there are aftermarket shocks that fit the 85-87 ninja 600's.

last question, does anyone know if the spark plug cables are CDI or non-CDI. I want to replace them, but my klymer doesn't specify.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode