Yam's FZ series owners - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Question

Howdy fellas... Anybody out there own an early YamahaFZ?
I've got an '86 FZ600 (with just 16,000mi.!), and it's an excellent first ride, although it wants much more abuse than I'm capable of dishing out- hope to get it to a track one of these days, just to see how far I can push my luck!

Haven't found more than an occasional mention of this bike elsewhere on the net (or anywhere else), so I thought I'd toss a line in here. I'd be interested in hearing from fellow FZ/FJ/XJ600 owners who'd like to know of each other's existence, for those times when questions like "How the F**K do I get this **&*&U#$# valve-cover out of the frame without taking the whole damn engine out?!" or, "Doesn't somebody make a spin-on oil filter so I don't have to remove the whole freakin' exhaust in the dirt in front of my apartment?" can't be answered by your local dealer. Where to get parts, any useful mods, etc. (Can I fit an EXUP exhaust? Does anybody make luggage that fits?)

BTW, having plowed through all the '86 magazine articles on the subject, I gather that the FZ600 was viewed at the time as the "real" original mass-racer, as it's certainly got a helluva lot less fluff than Honda's VF series, and killed everything else at the track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 11:43 AM

Cool Welcome, chmccand...

I used to race an FZ600, back in '87. Unfortunately, that was the year that the Honda CBR600 Hurricane came out, and it totally outclassed the FZ. So the FZ was only dominant that one year, 1986.

On the other hand, despite having to battle with the faster Hurricanes all year, I was able to win two class championships, and the P.R.R.O. (Phoenix) #1 plate in 1987 on that bike, so I'll always have an affinity for it.

It's been a while since I worked on an FZ600, but to answer a few questions: Yes, you can get the valve cover off with the engine in the frame. I can't remember the trick to it, but I know it can be done. As far as I know, there's no spin-on oil filter application for those older engines. And I've never heard of anyone installing an EXUP on the FZ. If you want to try, get hold of a service manual and parts fiche for a bike that has EXUP, and see if it looks like it could be done. Prepare for some pretty major fabricating, though...
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 11:54 AM

Here's a pic...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1987 no. 1 plate (sm).jpg (31.1 KB, 545 views)

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 12:06 PM

Cool

That's a sweet looking bike there Scott. I remember it being one of the first bikes that gave me the bug.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Thanks Scott,

for the reply and photo. Nice bike... still have it?

I've gotten the valve cover off once before- it's like one of those barroom ring-puzzles, though. I should just yank all the wires out, which makes it much easier, but the wiring has gotten pretty fragile over the years and I haven't got the time to rewire it at the moment, particularly with a butane soldering iron (no garage to work in.) Anyway, it needs a valve adjustment, and the gasket is pretty trashed (I know it's time to change my jeans when the knees have turned black), and I can't afford the $300 to have it done, so I guess I'll figure it out. I've already replaced the steering-head bearings with conical bearings (what a bitch!), since a previous owner had apparently learned to do wheelies on it, but not to land them ( hope to learn on this machine, too, but I get the idea that it won't do it without dumping the clutch at high RPM, and I haven't found a piece of road I'm comfortable doing that on yet.)

If you think of any bits of FZ wisdom, please pass them on..

Here's another pic (subtract the fairing lowers... it's about half as loud without them... and change the seat to something a little less painful.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 86fz600.jpg (24.1 KB, 699 views)
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 10:32 PM

Nah, the FZ is long gone. I do have an untitled frame and swingarm sitting around the shop. I bought it as a spare many moons ago, and I just never got rid of it. If you, or anyone you know, is interested in it, let me know... I'll let it go for a song, just to get it out of my garage.

The problem with these old bikes is that they end up needing so much maintenance, it costs you more to keep the thing running than it's even worth. Hopefully, you'll get some more use from it before it isn't worth spending the money on...
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 10:39 PM

Lightbulb Oh yeah...!

I've got an '86 gas tank (like yours) too. It's got a couple of dents in it (you know how the handlebars hit the tank when the bike is laid down -- like that). But it's fixable...
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Parts,etc.

Thanks for the offer. If I decide to keep the bike longer than this season, I might take you up on that, since my frame (mostly the sub-frame) has some soon-to-be-serious rust on it, particularly around the battery box.

If you have anything else, (or anyone else does) I'd appreciate knowing about it.

Since this is such a hard bike to find parts for, it'd be good to hear from as many people as possible- you might be able to get rid of some of those odd FZ bits and pieces lying around. I know people still race them, so there's gotta be some demand out there. Anybody?

-Cyrus
Attached Images
File Type: gif fz600-72dpi.gif (96.4 KB, 529 views)
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 02:02 PM

Since the original post asked for owners of the FJ/FZ series I thought I'd add my .02$ worth.

I have a 1984FJ600 that has been thoroughly modified and barely resembles it original self.

Here are the details:
gas tank: 1983CBX550
tail section: 1985VF1000R
Front Calipers: 1987FZR750R
Front Disks: 1982XV550R(Vision)
Fron Cylinder: 1987ZX750
Handlebars: Honda motocross
Headlight: 1990 Honda Hawk
Front Fender: 1986YX600 (Radian)
Swingarm: 1986FZ600
Rear Wheel: 1987GSXR750

Cams: Megacycle
Carbs: Mikuni RS34
Exhaust header: Yoshimura
Exhaust Canister: Kerker
Nitrous: YES!!!
Air Filters: K&N

Here's a picture for you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike2.jpg (67.7 KB, 452 views)
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Nitrous!?

Very nice work, FJ6... What size tire goes on that GSXR wheel? Did you have to modify the swingarm to get it to fit? Looks like a real piece you've got there. You must spend a lot of time at the salvage yard ;-}
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode