Old Cow Winter Project - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Wow, the first thread in the classics forum!
I hope people actually read this.

(Hmmmm that's quite an echo - not promising)

Aaaaanyway -
I have a 1976 ZX900 with dual front and single rear disk brakes. I don't think this was the original configuration (esp the rear) since the master cyl bracket looks hand made, and the rest of the bike is customed-out. Does anyone know what this bike originally came with (CLymer is kinda vague) and what rear brakes it might possibly have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 07:17 PM

im not 100% sure but i think the Z900 as it is known here in europe came with a disc in the rear and double discs in front but ill check it out and come back to you

gorilla at heart forever
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 07:18 PM

It originally came with a single front disc brake with a single piston caliper. I'm not sure what was out back on the '76 model. I know at some point they went from having a rear drum to having a rear disc. I know the '79 had a rear disc with a single piston caliper.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

(Hi Hell! - fancy meetin you here - how're you doing?)

The manual mentions an optional dual front disc, and a single read that was available on '79 and later models, but it doesn't say which one's. I may have to take the parts in to a dealer and bribe him to spend an hour looking through micorfiches :-P
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 06:18 PM

I just saw something on the 900ZR1 and there were 2 front disc brakes and 1 rear brake. It was an article from a guy who has written a book on the 900Z series bikes, both US version and Euro versions. I think that it was the final year of production that had the 3 disc setup. The KZ1000's all had disc brakes.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

His-Suzuki-
I have a feeling that many of the parts might be from a 1000. I wish I'd known more about these bikes when I bought it so I would have asked the guy about the parts. btw - what is a 900ZR1 and when were they built?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2000, 06:59 PM

I believe that it was the last year of production, they were gray, aluminum rims, triple disc brakes, small headlight fairing and they had a ZR1 badge on the side covers.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 06:51 PM

Depends on what model it really is- '76 LTDs had double discs,chrome megaphone mufflers, cast wheels, higher bars, and a custom-looking seat. Red paint with pinstriping. Is this what you have, or do you have a Z1/KZ900?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 08:21 AM

hello
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode