Rear shock upgrade... yes or no??? HELP....Please - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Post Rear shock upgrade... yes or no??? HELP....Please

My rear shock on my '87 FZR 1000 is shot! Without putting the money for a brand new unit (aftermarket) I have a buddy that has a unit off of a '87 FZR 750R w/ reservoir. Is this a slight step up from OE? If this is a good option, are there any mods required? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligas View Post
My rear shock on my '87 FZR 1000 is shot! Without putting the money for a brand new unit (aftermarket) I have a buddy that has a unit off of a '87 FZR 750R w/ reservoir. Is this a slight step up from OE? If this is a good option, are there any mods required? Thanks in advance!
Not really a great exchange. The FZR was significantly heavier.

Look into a rebuild by a reputable suspension company. For about double that, you can pick up an aftermarket off eBay or somewhere.

I'd recommend Racetech. They can spring it, and valve it if necessary, but likely it just needs a good service.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

DanQ you are the man!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
DanQ you are the man!

What did you run across?

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Well, I've been keeping my eye on ebay as well. But as of right now my local shop sends them out to be rebuilt and they will spring it to your body weight. I like that idea as well. Unless something on ebay temps me beyond resist, I plan to go that route. If it doesn't stop raining around here, I'm not gonna worry about it, and put the money into building an ark!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well, I've been keeping my eye on ebay as well. But as of right now my local shop sends them out to be rebuilt and they will spring it to your body weight. I like that idea as well. Unless something on ebay temps me beyond resist, I plan to go that route. If it doesn't stop raining around here, I'm not gonna worry about it, and put the money into building an ark!
Don't worry about the ark. It will stop raining

Do the shock rebuild. It will be the best mod you've made.

Dan
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 06:46 PM

I'd go with DanQ's original suggestion, of having Race Tech up-grade with Gold Valve, and rebuild, and if they recommend a spring change have that done as well. Your local shop most likely isn't dealing with a very good rebuild service, and your local shop would be getting something for their time as well.

You might want to get prices from Race Tech and Works Performance to compare first, if you do want to up-grade.

Depends on what you do on a bike though.

Last edited by louemc; 04-07-2008 at 06:49 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

OK... so I've actually gotten myself caught up and enough time to try to research this. Now for the good, the bad, and the ugly.

That is a 21 year old bike. And that it is still running is absolutely commendable for a 1000cc sportbike.

Now... that's a 21 year old bike. Parts and support are going to be difficult. I've looked at Ractech website (disclaimer: I am not employed by, or compensated by Racetech in any way. I am not rich, and their products offer me good bang for buck). The don't have anything listed for the 87 FZR, but they do say call them, and everytime I've called, they can find the parts to rebuild. With the age of that shock I'd say it will need a spring and a recharge. Now depending on how much labor runs to do that, you may want to look into some of their other services and parts, as they typically don't increase labor that much.

Aside from that, you can look on eBay for Fox Racing, Penske, or Ohlins shocks from that era, and bear in mind those parts will likely need overhaul as well. Advantage: Ractech working over your shock.

When it comes to the front: If the forks have been serviced every two years or so, the seals are good, and you can get reasonable sag settings with them; that's probably as good as it gets. But, if you need any work at all, again, go with Racetech. Up front they have springs of course, and valve emulators. These little setups are worth their weight in gold, because they can build the valving to your riding preferences. Bearing in mind with the 87, the only damping control we get is with built in valving (emulators) and changing the oil weights.

You can get the spring specs for the front on Racetech's Site. But nothing online for the back.

The reason I have gone into detail on the front and rear of your suspension is simple. Everything works together as a system. If you manage to get someone to setup the rear shock properly, you will likely find that your front is out of whack. I'd recommend that you look at how to get all of it done.

Dan
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Dad

Dan covered it well. Do both ends and if you haven't already, consider fitting radials too. If it's a straight bike it's worth it and getting the suspension updated will make it very current in handling.

I'm still keeping a '90 CBR-1000F as my favorite street bike. What makes '90 the magic year for me is it was the first year for radials and cartridge front end. Remade the spacers for the front to get the sag right and raised the fork oil level for anti-dive and that's it. Set the rear with the factory adjustments. Love that bike. Put 122,000 miles on one, crashed it good, and found another identical bike with low miles (14,000) to replace it. With both of them and a spare low mileage motor (4,500) I figure I'm good for another twenty years.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 05:32 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
...Put 122,000 miles on one, crashed it good...
Don't remember reading about that if you posted it. Was that on the street or track? How did you fare?

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode