HELP! FZR 1000 noise good bad or ugly? - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dilligas
thank you thank you THANK YOU! I fully understand the tensioner now.

My fuel pump does shut off, which leads me to believe I have an inlet problem or a float problem as you have stated. I say possible inlet because the fitting where fuel is coming out is actually between 1&2 carb. It seems to be performing its duties if someone was to run into a float/inlet clogged problem as I have.

Heavy work schedule for the next week in a half. Hope to get some quality time with bike. Will keep you posted! Thanks again.
Get some carb cleaner and clean the outsides of the carbs real good before you open anything. Should be a pretty easy operation to get in there and clean them up. Then check the float levels. The carbs on these things are pretty straight forward and only look intimidating.

Definitely keep us posted.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Quick update:

Took apart carbs and found #1 carb had a stuck fuel inlet valve seat ( stuck closed) and was forcing fuel into #2 carb and causing it to come out of the bowl overflow. Replaced needed parts and now fuel is going and staying where it is supposed to!

Ordered manual tensioner and waiting for it to arrive.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Quick update:

Took apart carbs and found #1 carb had a stuck fuel inlet valve seat ( stuck closed) and was forcing fuel into #2 carb and causing it to come out of the bowl overflow. Replaced needed parts and now fuel is going and staying where it is supposed to!

Ordered manual tensioner and waiting for it to arrive.
Sweet! I love it when it is something simple.

I still have to order my tensioner for both the R1 and the FZR. I keep putting things off. Maybe I'll do it next week

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Hey DanQ, got another for you: I got my tensioner today and installed it. That took care of the "sharp" noise but I have come to find another was there. I have isolated the noise (screw driver to the ear trick) to the generator starter area. With the tip of the screw driver on the front of the generator I can here a "knockish" noise that is muffled slightly. As I move it back (parallel to the starter) the noise fades. Possibly loose brushes or or bearing in the generator that is shot? That is where the strongest noise comes from. All around it is quiet, including the gear case. Once again, HELP!

So close and yet so far away
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hey DanQ, got another for you: I got my tensioner today and installed it. That took care of the "sharp" noise but I have come to find another was there. I have isolated the noise (screw driver to the ear trick) to the generator starter area. With the tip of the screw driver on the front of the generator I can here a "knockish" noise that is muffled slightly. As I move it back (parallel to the starter) the noise fades. Possibly loose brushes or or bearing in the generator that is shot? That is where the strongest noise comes from. All around it is quiet, including the gear case. Once again, HELP!

So close and yet so far away
Hey bud! Sorry I haven't stopped in here for a while!

I'm going to have to phone a friend on that noise.

Question: Does the noise change with increased RPM or temperature?

I've been spending time getting track bodywork ready for my R1, and haven't been online much.

I'll pm my phone number and e-mail in case you have something major.

Hang in there... the FZR is my favorite bike!

Dan
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I appreciate that!

Answer: yes it does increase with RPM. From a car mechanic background, reminds me of the noise a cracked flywheel makes in a car with an automatic trans. Help any???

I'm gonna do alittle research myself. Being mechanically stumped has never sat well with me!

Thanks again
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks! I appreciate that!

Answer: yes it does increase with RPM. From a car mechanic background, reminds me of the noise a cracked flywheel makes in a car with an automatic trans. Help any???

I'm gonna do alittle research myself. Being mechanically stumped has never sat well with me!

Thanks again
Does it go away when the motor is warm?

No prob...

Dan
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by DanQ
Does it go away when the motor is warm?

No prob...

No, it doesn't.

Going to do some more diagnostics this weekend.

Got the pm, thanks.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Well, just as an update. The noise I was hearing is the Hyvo chain. Since I have no intention at this time to split the case, and the noise comes and goes.....I live with it.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well, just as an update. The noise I was hearing is the Hyvo chain. Since I have no intention at this time to split the case, and the noise comes and goes.....I live with it.
Oh yeah. That's a job for when you have MUCH more to work on. Same with the cam chain.

I'd run it until it shows signs of needing an overhaul. If you do, chime in on me. I have a little experience with having a FZR motor rebuilt.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in