1986 Kawasaki Ninja 1000r A1 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

1986 Kawasaki Ninja 1000r A1

I recently purchased a classic bike, a Kawasaki Ninja 1000r A1. For a 20 year old bike it runs good and is in really good shape. Are there any "issues" I should be aware of for this particular motorcycle as far as handling and performance? I would appreciate any input as this is my first sport bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 09:44 PM

1000R

Good, strong reliable bike. First bike to crack the 160mph barrier. About 105 rear wheel horsepower and capable of high 10's in the quarter mile.

Heavy, top-heavy bike. Not especially known for being a road racer, but can handle the twisties ok. (if you have the courage to push it) More of a big, comfortable, GT sort of bike.

Drivetrain is very reliable and is based directly off of the 1984-1986 Ninja 900R that preceded it. In fact, the ZX-11 engine was based off of the same motor, and was used all the way into 2001 on that bike. ZZR-1200 and ZRX 1200 also used a version of that motor until they were dropped just now, in the 2006 model year.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 05:47 PM

I too have a 86 1000R that is new to me, I bought it cheap has 34,000 miles on it. it runs rough under about 4000 rpm and spits and sputters real bad somtimes when taking off from a stop. It has full Kerker exhaust on it and 4 uin-pod filters, I have a destinct feling that the previous owner did not re-jet this bike for the mods so that is most of the problem with it.

I was ridding it a few times to get the bugs out of it when it blew a valve cover gaskett and blew oil all over the side of the bike and myself as well..I replaced the gaskets and the next time i rode it I blew one of the valve cover/spark plug hole gasketts. and once again oil all over the bike and myself.....Upon being very angry at this point I sat down and thought what could couse pressure in the valve cover like it is getting? It has 2 breather hoses that at one time went to the airbox I assume on the valve cover with reed tabs located inside, they I assume relieve pressure from the crank case only? becasue they are dowl pinned into the head as the valve cover goes on.

So after more thought I and allready having it apart it kinda donned on me that it probably has a vavle or 2 that are to tight and not closing all the way thus creating the pressure in the valve cover. I had a Clymer manual for it but to make a long story short I do not have it anymore I need to buy a new one to find out the proceedure and what the valve lash is on this motor to try and see if this is the problem there....

what I am looking for is if anybody has had this happen to them and what was the problem or If I could be missing anything...

Also on the jetting I have no clue what stock is/was VS. what this bike has I am pretty damn good at jetting 2 stroke quads or single cyclender 4 stroke quads but this multi-cyc. stuff is new to me, how far up does it need to go with fullexhaust and filters any Idea??

One last thing, I heard they made 2 different models of this bike how can I tell which I have??

thanks in advance for the help guys...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 03:08 PM

1000R

I don't know jack about mechanics, but I can answer your last question.

The Ninja 1000R was built for two years, 1986 and 1987. In 1988 it was replaced by the ZX-10, which was sold from 1988-1990 model years. The 1000R is often confused with the ZX-10.

Additionally, Kawasaki sold both the Ninja 900 and the Ninja 1000R in 1986, so that might also be the source of confusion.

Although the ZX-10 (and subsequent ZX-11) engine was based upon the 1000R's engine, (which in turn was based on the original 1984 Ninja 900) there are very few similarities between your 1000R and the ZX-10. They are completely different bikes.
The Ninja 900 and 1000R engines are much more similar. So much so, that I've heard of 900 owners swapping in 1000R motors.

Last edited by zxrider; 05-02-2007 at 03:15 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 05:13 AM

Check for plugged cranckcase vent, then do leak down test for compression. PODS can stress motor to carb mounts (crack) check with wd-40 or carb cleaner spray. Easiest probably to find airbox and filter, pods best dyno tuned, and sometims that doesn't replicate air flow with bike in motion. Jet kit for kerker if needed. Forks would benefit oil change respring (Sonic?) May need rear shock, Kawi forum or ebay might recommend newer take off. Like Hyabusa on SV650. Sargent replacing seat foam helps a lot.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 08:41 PM

First Your bike is very top heavy.(as mentioned before)
Second Brakes are known have overly strong surges.
Third Watch out for drivers behind you people cant get enough of an old bike looking that good and then they hit you.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 10:42 AM

This posts is*very*informative.*Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode