value of a 88 gsxr1000 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

value of a 88 gsxr1000

Just as title reads Im new to motorcycles and dont know squat. I have the oppertunity to pick up such bike with new tires,sprocket,and chain is it worth 2500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 09:20 AM

Do you mean GSXR 1100?

I'm not stateside so can't really give any specific advice but in general the value of any bike over 10 years old is purely down to condition.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

i havent seen the bike yet but i was told that is a 1000

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 11:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to Xx954HxCafexX
nadaguides.com

i use it all the time
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 03:52 PM

Sounds like you could use some help. You can ask questions on the board and wait for a response but.....

If you are thinking of a bike, hopefully you have friends that already ride and can help you out. Especially if they have some kind of mechanic background. An older rider can give you some tips on the vintage bikes. I'll offer you some advice here though.

I have had many bikes over the years and have bought a vintage bike as recently as a year or so ago. The early gixxers were oil/air cooled and in my opinion not as trustworthy if they have high miles. I owned a 1986 750. But they can still be a good bike.

I know this is going to sound hypocritical, but when I hunt for an older bike, the two most important things are that it have low milage (between 10K and 25K if possible) and that it be close to stock. I know that the trick stuff like exhaust, etc may be nice, and I almost always add some mods to my bikes, BUT to me, the more mods on a bike, the more it may be abused. I also only look at bikes with the original body and paint.

Specifically, the 88 1100 (BTW, they were 1100's up to the mid 90's) could easily be worth $2500. I would make sure it hasn't been wrecked. I also would be careful if it was safety wired (it may have been raced). If it is all original with a clean title and has low miles, I would say go for it. I would be wary of the seller since he/she told you it was a 1000, I don't much care for liars.

In the last 4 years I have bought 3 older liter size bikes. I paid less than a grand for a project bike Honda VF1000R, I paid $2700 for a 1987 Yamaha FZR1000, and $3300 for a 1992 FZR1000. Both of the Yamahas had less than 18K miles and were in excellent shape. I also want to tell you there is a BIG difference between old and new bikes. To me, the older bikes had a softer suspension and a better ride, but are slower and don't handle as well. BUT, I feel I MUST warn you, that any year liter bike is damn fast, and can compress time and space more than non-riders can imagine. I personally would not recommend a liter bike as a 1st bike unless the rider is VERY mature and has good disipline of the right wrist. Any bike can maim or kill you, but a liter bike can do it faster! Sorry to preach about this, but I think it's important if you don't know bikes. Good luck! Feel free to ask more questions if you don't mind long anwsers.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

the info came from my brother whos friend owned the bike. it was actually a 88 fzr 1000 that had been down but nothing major. new tire 2 seasons ag new battery 10 months ago, new design sprokets with o ring chain and 22k miles everyone that sees the bike doesnt think its a 88.i was happy with it i got it for 2500 now im lookin to sell it and get a newer 600 that i can throw into corners
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 03:12 PM

Well, now that you have it, why sell it? If it's got the original colors, it's probably blue/white. Nice looking bike. It's the same engine as an 1987 except for the color change. As far as speed goes, I raced a friend (on a straight) on his 2004 Kawi 636 and I pulled away slightly, so the bike's not slow. It's got a low seat , comfortable riding position (compared to new bikes) and is much more stable in corners than a newer bike. All the things that are good for beginners. It only wheelies in 1st if you mean to.

I ride with all types of bikes/people and usually didn't have much problem keeping up unless things get WAYYY out of hand when I rode my older bikes. If you want to "throw" it into corners, may I suggest you learn on the '88, take the MSF course, take a few track days, and ride it this season. That's probably the cheapest way to ride this year and then sell it at the end of the year before you adjust the valves and tune it. It will cost more than a few bucks to adjust those valves, but if I remember right, the 1st adjustment is at 26K miles and mine were still almost spot on when I had it done.

My 2 cents
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

It has been repainted cause its yellow.It runs it ass off ,has new sprockets with different teeth not sure on #s but itsll do 140 at 10k on the tack.Its heavier than I like and I just cant get comfortable going into corner hard.I want to stunt,but this bike isnt what I want to learn on and its to nice for a classis to tear apart to stunt when I can find a million new bike that are stunted or have damage from a crash.I took the MSF course to get my liscense.If I keep it till next year it will definetly have more than 26k on it.its listed in th eclassifieds here if your intrested
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode