I ride a 1983 GPZ1100, any others on here? - Page 3 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

They are a very fast bike, the engine is bulletproof.

Try joining this site, lots of GPZ owners, you may get lucky.

http://www.gpz1100.com/tiki-index.php

Mitch

Only those who risk going too far, can truly find out how far one can go.

T.S. Elliot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 04:24 PM

ok carbs are off and at garage for cleaning, i have to take tank and get boiled out to get rid of rust..this bike has been sitting for a long time, it hasnt been licensed since jan-01...slowly but surely i'm getting there! I have to pick a new color cuz i dont care for the kawasaki glow in the dark green hahaha
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 06:26 AM

83gpz1100

G'Day it's Ante from Australia a complete GPZ nut .This is my second GPZ1100 ,loved the first one so much had to buy another ,but this one is special. Bought it off a guy who's had it since new. He put on the fairing lowers and gave it an awsome blue and black paint job with white powder coated wheels,frame and engine covers powder coated onyx black. He also fitted a fork brace and progressive fork springs and a showa rear shock 'rides bloody beautifull' .The engine was standard , now thats where I take over. Pulled the engine out and started with a trued and welded crank, 1170 wiseco kit with teflon buttons, new gearbox bearings , new clutch plates HD springs and cam chain. Had a spare cylinder head with big port job and three angle valve seats. I've kep't the standard cams , love the torque and power delivery,and got a set of mikuni RS 38mm flat slides ,K&N pod filters and just about to fit dyna 2000 ignition and coils also has 4 into 1's with micron oval mufler .I put late model switch gear with a push pull throttle, so thats my bike ,should have it on the dyno in the next couple of weeks Áan't wait .

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 07:24 AM

Built GPZ

Wow, sounds like a pretty stout motor. Should be able to surprise quite a few much newer machines with it! I'd be interested in seeing those dyno figures when you get them.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 10:58 AM

Talking 1983 GPZ 1100 Kawasaki ZX A2

Hi Brian!
Hi

My name is Budgie Burgess and I reside in South Africa Cape Town and Iím the proud owner of 1983 Gpz Kawasaki ZX 1100 A2. This bike has served me well all these years up until now I have replaced the rings, valve stem oil seals and one exhaust valve and have also replaced the control unit back in 1986 due to the silly way the unit was mounted in the rear of the bike, the vibration and bounce ruined the electronics. However back to now, my problem is the bike will start and when the temperature is right off I go until about a kilometer the bike decides to shut off and come back on again repeatedly, sometimes my fuel gauge goes off as well which tells me the bike is now completely dead. After stopping on the side of the road removing the side covers and checking the obvious namely fuses, solenoids and starter solenoid I cannot suspect anything particularly wrong other than the control unit flashing one short one long and two short but my DFI warning has been doing this for the best part of 12years, it comes and disappears. I have recently replaced the battery with one of those Taiwanese batteries that start generators for the pinch of the price of the original one (Battery Type PE12V18) a mate of mine has put one of these batteries in his 1981 XS1100 Yamaha and it works like a bomb, which encouraged me to buy one as well. Whilst riding the bike I checked the charge rate on the rev counter and show a reading of just; just behind 14V. This to me is fine.
My repair manual and my flash codes for the DFI were destroyed in a fire and I cannot get proper help, the bike Macs where I live only want to work on todayís bikes which is sad really, one Mac suggest to remove the fuel injection and fit 1000J carbs on! Why! The bike has been going so well, until now that is. I did put smooth bore carbs on once but boy was that a pain in the ass. I had to constantly carry a plastic bag with me to cover the K&N filters in case of rain,the bikeís performance would vary depending on the weather. Anyway, Iím sure you will direct me to a solution or to another link or someone who has the Control Unit flash codes, or just guide me to where I should inspect.

Thanks Brian

E-mail Addresses:-

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Budgie, Ante.or others with the GPZ.......please go to this link, this is my Yahoo GPZ group, you can probably get some tech answers there...........where all the GPZ nuts hang out.
Also a couple guys parting them

http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/gpz1100ownersgroup/

Hope to see you there.........Mitch

T.S. Elliot
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Re: 1983 GPZ 1100 Kawasaki ZX A2

Budgie.

I can't find the code you mention here listed in the Suppliment Manual.
"flashing one short one long and two short", doesn't show up here.

This is what does show: Item and code.

Throttle Sensor - one long, one short.
Air Temp sensor - one long, two short.
Engine Temp Sensor - one long, three short.
Atmospheric Press Sensor - two long, one short.
Starter switch - two long, two short.
Ignition Pulse - 2 long, three short.
CPU Memory - three long, one short.

Let us know what you find, each code has an "action" in the manual,
too much typing for this kid, but let us know what code.

Mitch.

Quote:
Originally posted by Budgie
Hi Brian!
Hi

My name is Budgie Burgess and I reside in South Africa Cape Town and Iím the proud owner of 1983 Gpz Kawasaki ZX 1100 A2. This bike has served me well all these years up until now I have replaced the rings, valve stem oil seals and one exhaust valve and have also replaced the control unit back in 1986 due to the silly way the unit was mounted in the rear of the bike, the vibration and bounce ruined the electronics. However back to now, my problem is the bike will start and when the temperature is right off I go until about a kilometer the bike decides to shut off and come back on again repeatedly, sometimes my fuel gauge goes off as well which tells me the bike is now completely dead. After stopping on the side of the road removing the side covers and checking the obvious namely fuses, solenoids and starter solenoid I cannot suspect anything particularly wrong other than the control unit flashing one short one long and two short but my DFI warning has been doing this for the best part of 12years, it comes and disappears. I have recently replaced the battery with one of those Taiwanese batteries that start generators for the pinch of the price of the original one (Battery Type PE12V18) a mate of mine has put one of these batteries in his 1981 XS1100 Yamaha and it works like a bomb, which encouraged me to buy one as well. Whilst riding the bike I checked the charge rate on the rev counter and show a reading of just; just behind 14V. This to me is fine.
My repair manual and my flash codes for the DFI were destroyed in a fire and I cannot get proper help, the bike Macs where I live only want to work on todayís bikes which is sad really, one Mac suggest to remove the fuel injection and fit 1000J carbs on! Why! The bike has been going so well, until now that is. I did put smooth bore carbs on once but boy was that a pain in the ass. I had to constantly carry a plastic bag with me to cover the K&N filters in case of rain,the bikeís performance would vary depending on the weather. Anyway, Iím sure you will direct me to a solution or to another link or someone who has the Control Unit flash codes, or just guide me to where I should inspect.

Thanks Brian

E-mail Addresses:-

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

T.S. Elliot
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 01:44 AM

Nice job, just bought one to do up and get as close to original as possible.`
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Greeting, been a while since I posted - 2007 in fact.
The GPZ1100 that I had when I started this thread, was sold in 2010 to my Nephew, so I kept it in the family. That original GPZ was running carbs, which over time, I was able to get jetted just about spot on. Since I sold that bike 3 years ago, I've been on the hunt for a stock 83 gpz1100 with operational fuel injection, dual exhaust etc. Well I finally found one 3 weeks ago and bought it. She was tied down in the back of a trailer being pulled by a motorohome, which drove by me when I was in a left turn lane. Given my hunt for that particular bike, I gave chase and pulled him over within 15 minutes. We chatted about the bike, he fired it up and I asked him if he would consider selling it - he said yes and that he wanted to see $2000 - well I purchased it on the spot and not I have what I have been looking for. The bike's not pristine, she will need new paint and decals eventually and a good cleaning, but the motor runs strong and the DFI operates flawlessly.

So i'm a happy camper and now she sits next to my 02 Ducati ST2 in the garage, which bike to ride ....mmmmm.

Anyone wanting to join my GPZ site, it's still up and operational with 250 members, come on over for a vist. http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/gpz1100ownersgroup/

Cheers - mitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (3).jpg
Views:	101
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	30897  

T.S. Elliot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in