grease under my fingernaiLs! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Xx954HxCafexX
Smile grease under my fingernaiLs!

Well i got a complete gasket kit for my honda, the top end was leaking oil everywhere! and some oil seals are gonna be replaced, along with new clutch plates and springs. spent about 3 hours pulling the top end apart, Then Will (OneKneeDown) came over to help out, then about another 13 hours scraping old gasket off. damn my fingers are sore! well tonight everything is clean with all old gasket removed. tommrow the cylinder deck and the head are gonna be flat sanded (for a nice flat surface) and it gonna be all put back together with nice new gaskets everywhere . my cylinders and pistons and rings all look ok, no need to be replaced, if i had the parts on hand id replace them tho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 05:01 AM
Strength and Honor

Now, I'm not saying there's nothing wrong with this method, but I've used a wire wheel (low density wire) to get gasket material off. Its a LOT easier and quicker, and the surfaces look good as new.

Just something you might consider next time.

Whenever I go out to work on mine, I clip my nails because I HATE having to scrape them post-op. In fact, I just got the exhaust back together last night! Now I'm contemplating a check of valve clearances, but am not sure I want to risk opening her up so close to Spring

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

thew wire wheel wouldnt have worked, someone has already been thru the top end of my bike and they used a generous amount of permatex gasket tak shit, which was like super glue, i soaked the head and cylinder block in PB blaster and mineral sprits for like an hour and a half, it seemed to lossen everything up cuz that when i started getting nice cuts of gasket off

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 07:13 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by Xx954HxCafexX
thew wire wheel wouldnt have worked, someone has already been thru the top end of my bike and they used a generous amount of permatex gasket tak shit, which was like super glue, i soaked the head and cylinder block in PB blaster and mineral sprits for like an hour and a half, it seemed to lossen everything up cuz that when i started getting nice cuts of gasket off
Yowza, I'm often shocked at the things I've found from previous owners.

For instance, one had stripped the bolts holding on a caliper and it took me a month of riding before I took them apart and discovered it. Just glad it didn't decide to break loose while I was riding it!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 09:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to OneKneeDown
whooo what a fun day that was.... soak, scrape, smoke (cigarettes of course.., soak scrape, smoke...
but shes almost done and prolly gonna be better than new.

siut!

1997 Chevy S10ss (sold)
1995 Eclipse GS-T (sold)
1998 Yamaha Zuma(retired)
1978 Honda CB750four (project cafe-racer)
1990 Silverado Z71 White Lightnin!

"young kids... old school." a mans outlook on Chris (Xx954HxCafexX) and I pulling up on the old (yet still very badass) Hondas.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 12:08 AM

You have to get some satisfaction out of being able to tear apart the bike. Fix what needs to be fixed and being able to have it run better than before.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

and a Yamaha Vmaxx was dropped off at my shop, the guy told me its been sittin for 4 years and he wants me to get it running, i hate this bike its heavily over enginnered

Last edited by Xx954HxCafexX; 03-04-2005 at 08:07 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 08:50 PM

That is about the condition that I got my 84 V65 magna in.
It had been sitting in a underground parking garage for 5 years.
I pretty much replaced everything that I found on the bike that was rubber. Rebuilt the carbs, cleaned/ flushed radiator, replaced all fluids and filters. That was a good start
It was a blast to do and runs great now.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

When i got my yamaha it sat in a garage with a full tank of gas for 17 years!!!!cleaned tank and carb,new fuel lines and changed oil,ran great and when i was 15 i got a Evinrude 35hp outboard for my boat for really insanely cheap, the whole thing was in pieces in a box. the powerhead had like no time on it, perfect pistons and cyclinders still had a real nice cross hatching. put it back together had like a brand new motor that served me for years under very hard use, (like Skurfing, which is like wakeboarding with a surfboard)

Last edited by Xx954HxCafexX; 03-07-2005 at 07:47 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 11:03 PM

I got my start with a old I think 70's honda 50cc. It was given to me by a neighbor. I didn't know anything about engines or bike but I wanted to ride. I did the old bike running and ran the crap out of the thing.
I still haven't ever had any formal education, but I love working on my bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode