Bought a 1987 Ninja 1000R Beater - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Bought a 1987 Ninja 1000R Beater

Well fellas I bought a beater bike that needs dump truck loads of TLC.

This lucky lady is going to get a lot of tender loving attention. I have huge plans for it.

I posted this in Kawasaki forums, but this seems more appropiate.

Right now what little fairings you can see is mostly held on by zipties. One of the turn signals is held by zipties too. The bike really really nice, brakes work, pulls strong above 5k It needs a carb rebuild. I totally cleaned them out and its still sluggish in the lower rpms. It needs a rear tire STAT... rear brakes... and i want to get factory fairings... to my knowledge there was two colors,, a midnight blue or a bright red. which color scheme is best? Anyone recommend a place to get the fairings from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 11:44 PM

After you check on factory you might want to look into race plastic and a custom paint job. Might end up cheaper and prettier.

Also, looks like a stock pipe on it. Chances are the baffle is junk at this age and may be part of the cause for the weak bottom end, check the air cleaner ASAP too. Could also be a bad jetting by the previous owner. See if there's a jet kit and after market pipe still available for it. The fresh jet needles may solve half the carb rebuild issue too.

Congrats on the new used bike.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips! because my budget is tight at the moment, im going to hollow out the mufflers.

stage one jet kit. the air filter.. is weird. its like a straight through. doesnt look like it filters anything to me! It has filter element but air doesnt have to pass through it. ill have to take a picture-- hard to describe.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 09:23 AM

Most likely you will not be able to get stock fairings for your bike (at least not new ones). I needed one for my 1989 FZR1000 and the dealer said he would take my order as long as I paid up front but could not promise one even existed. I said well why can't you call your rep... his reponse was no becasue he will not know either... they just request the part from Japan and if it comes it comes if it doesn't then it doesn't and you can get your money back in a couple of months... The bigger issue is the volume of sales our 1000cc bikes had back then, since the 600cc sold many more units they made more parts for them obviously and our big 1000s... well smaller sales less spare parts made It is really difficult to put our bikes back to stock unless you spend lots of money on paid and a professional does the decal work, in that case you are better off to just buy race panals, not as nice but will do the job.. good luck
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Race panels are perfect, i actually want to race it. I went to my first track event friday. it looked like so much fun. soon as i get my carbs sorted out.

Add frame sliders, new rear tire. new front rear brake pads/rotors and ill be racing!

Everyone at the track had a faster bike then me, but they went through the corners so slow. They didnt take the straightest line, just mosied through it. They didnt maintain much speed - i think in the begginer crew I wouldnt get run off the road. maybe after i get better myself ill hang out in intermediate, but i could never see me and my ninja in advanced. 570lbs 125whp versus 410lbs 160whp and a professional rider.

I could see me hanging with a stock 600 on the straightaway, but them litre bikes are viscious. one guy said he hit 170 on the straights. while my friends modded 636 hit 140ish.

Last edited by NorthernNinja; 07-03-2004 at 07:17 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 08:36 PM

Did you actually have your bike on that track?

cdma2k
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

No, my bike is having some technical difficulties with the carburetors right now. I think on the straight away a new 600 would barely beat me. but i THINK i can keep with most of the beginners...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 08:06 AM

Keep in mind that your bike weighs nearly 600lbs. With that much weight it will give you a great ride on the street/highway, but will be tough to throw around on the track. By the way your beater looks better than my daily rider.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

I know it will be tough, but i dont have any clue how tough. The thing is I have never ridden a 600 and may never want to. I would hate to spoil myself! ;-)

Ive always ridden 80's 500lb+ sport bikes thats what im use to. You know olympians practice? Say they have to throw a 10lb shot put or something so they practice with a 15lb instead--so when they use a 10lb it feels so light.

Maybe if i rode a 600 I would then really be fast ;-)

Anyway im going to try it and see what happens
Power to weight ratio's would suggest me at a disadvantage with a 400lb (wet) 100hp at the rear wheel versus 570lbs (wet) (570 with aftermarket exhaust --stock weighs a ton) and a 125hp

But looking at quartermile times and trap speeds im right with them --I don't know... talk doesn't do much ill report back when i have experienced going up against those 600's.

The fastest rider there was on a GSX-R 600 doing a 1.25 lap time. The next fastest laptime i heard was a ZX-10 (modded) doing 1.31's I didnt hear or get everyone's laptimes but it was impressive to watch that 600! he came out of the corners SOOOO fast, i thought for sure it was a turbo 1000! lol...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

GOt any pictures of your 86 1000R??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode