The first production sportbike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-04-2000, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

We've been thru cafe racers and factory produced "cafe racers", Even though by the middle 80's bikes like the Yamaha FZ'z & Kawasaki GPZ series, gained more body work., they were still basicly the "cafe style" machine incased in more plastic.

What many consider the first true production sportbike was the 1983 VF750 by Honda, the bike was totally designed from a clean sheet of paper for Honda Superbike racing and a street version with the "V-4" motor was produced, with it's alum. perimiter style frame and racey bodywork, it made every other bike obsolete. The dawn of the age of "specialization" was born, the era of the "cafe racer" was laid to rest.

http://britrider.tripod.com/1983interceptor.jpg

1983 Honda VF750

------------------
BJ Ondo, "Old Fart"
Colorado
1980 GS1100E Suzuki
"Classic Sport Bike"

[This message has been edited by motorcyclerider (edited August 04, 2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-04-2000, 05:49 AM

Thumbs up

A true classic and another of my all time favs along with its 86 model brother the first VFR. And don't forget the VF500.

------------------
Ride the Pace,
JD
post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-04-2000, 08:41 AM

Wink

I agree that the Honda VFR was probably the first capable(at winning races)sportbike from the big four.But the bike that started the racing crouch posture was the original Katana.(yes,I`m biased).

------------------

post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-04-2000, 11:09 AM

Tsk, tsk, BJ! The VF750 had a STEEL frame! The VFR in 1987 introduced the aluminum frame to the Interceptor line...

------------------
A fool and his money are soon partying.
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-04-2000, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

AZ Scott, I guess ya figured "I don't get paid for this", LOL! Your quite correct on the frame material.

Humm, the Orginal Katana was more a "exersize in styling" than the first production sport bike. Don't get me wrong, I think their pretty slick looking!

Will slowly add the "major players" in production sport bikes as we go along but I was around when "HONDA stunned the racing world with the VF-V4"! The "madness" of motorcycle specialization went nuts after that time period!

------------------
BJ Ondo, "Old Fart"
Colorado
1980 GS1100E Suzuki
"Classic Sport Bike"
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-05-2000, 05:02 PM

Thumbs up

My first bike was an '86 VF500. At the time, it was THE bike to have (well the 750 was). All around great bike. You hardly ever see any 500's around any more, occasionally you will see a 750. I saw a 500 at a local bike shop a couple of months ago that was exactly like the one I had. I couldn't believe it, got all misty eyed and stuff. I just sat there and looked at it, remembering the "good old days", until the wife dragged me off, kicking and screaming.

------------------
Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that sportbike riding will cause swelling of the testicles, shrinkage of the brain, and possible severe trauma to the ego.
post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 03:47 PM

I missed one getting destroyed at Deal's Gap by about 10 minutes. Passed as the Troopers and Rescue Squads were pulling him back up to the road level. I was a shame the bike was a nice example of the VF500.

Rider broke an ankle and cracked a vertibrate(sp) and many bruises but he will recover. It was a couple of months ago so he may be riding a bike again. He is actually lucky that the tree caught him.

Whoa! That'll leave a mark.

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"
post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-03-2000, 07:07 PM

Cool

My first Sportbike was a VF750 Interceptor.
I loved it and will always think that it was the first true Sportbike. Just my 2cents thanks for listening

------------------
post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 12:39 PM

The VFR's were the first to use the 16" front tire, too. Many of them went down at the tracks, because of the super quick steering. That's why I bought the GPZ 750 and then an RZ350 to compete with the 750 & 500 Interceptor's, on the race tracks. I have many pictures of these bikes that were taken on the race tracks.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
39 speeding tickets and now I have a V1.
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 05:45 AM

The mid '80's also saw the beginning of frame mounted fairings. Which started the new craze of full fairing sportbikes vs. naked sportbikes. It also helped with the sport touring people who now had better protection from the wind and they did not have to have the full dresser type bikes to travel on.
The '80's were grand To go back in time would be great

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
39 speeding tickets and now I have a V1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode