Harley Sportster - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2000, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

Cool

The bike that has been called the original superbike. Its been around since 1957. Unfortunately it has not continued to develop into a sportbike. Hopefully Buell will get a new motor soon.

------------------
Ride the Pace,
JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2000, 05:30 AM

Wink

Well maybe the orginal "American Superbike", as the European's with MV Agusta, Ducati, Moto-Guzzi, BMW, Triumph, Norton, BSA, ect. had been doing serious road racing long before the invent of the H-D Sportster in 1957! Although, Harely-Davidson did race against all these machines in the early years of Daytona and had some great sucess too.

The coming of the Japanese machines is what slowly killed of a lot of European and Harley-Davidson from road racing greatness.

------------------
BJ Ondo, "Old Fart"
Colorado
1980 GS1100E Suzuki
"The 1980's Hyabusa"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2000, 05:13 AM

Lightbulb

Harley-Davidson did try a venture into a "sporting machine", long before the current day Buell's.

In 1977 the XLCR was pen'd and produced by none other than "Wille G. Davidson"! It was a pure cafe racer, quarter fairing, Norton style "fastback" rear section, superbike bars (no not the lower, "Clubman bars" of the period, used by the European's).

It used the "iron 1000cc Sporster motor" and was a very good looking and decent handling machine. For H-D it was "way to racey" and the faithful stayed away in droves so it was only sold in 1977 & 1978. Too bad, if it could have continued, maybe the current Buell's would have been using a more modern "VR1000" style motor (60 degree V-twin, water-cooled, double overhead cam, ect.), it could have made H-D a real Superbike contender!

I'm having real trouble finding a picture but hopefully I can score one soon!!

------------------
BJ Ondo, "Old Fart"
Colorado
1980 GS1100E Suzuki
"Classic Sport Bike"

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2000, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Yes the XLCR is my all time favorite Harley. Just wish they would make a new one with a new engine, better suspension, etc..
Oh and before the Sportster Harley raced the KR which was a descendant of the WWII military bike. It faired ok against the European competition but was finally just too outclassed and replaced with the Sportster.

------------------
Ride the Pace,
JD
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2000, 08:46 AM

How about the Harley streetfighter,the XLX61.Just a bare bones,no frills sportster?.

------------------
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2000, 11:15 AM

Then there was the XR1000, back around 1983, I believe. I test-rode one of those, and honestly, compared to my GS750ES, it was a piece of crap, but I have to admit, the thing had a LOT of torque. It felt like you could leave a stoplight in 4th gear.

I wonder if that bike would be worth anything today, as far as collector value?

------------------
A fool and his money are soon partying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode