New Project Bike....Comments? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

New Project Bike....Comments?

Hey Guys,
Newbie here. I have been back and forth about what type of beginner bike I should get. I have decided that if I am going to ride, then I should know the inner workings of a bike. So..... I have purchased a 1974 Kawasaki Z1A. The carbs need to be rebuilt, the front brakes need to be replaced. There needs to be alot of work done to this bike. I am not the best mechanic in the world but I guess I've got to start somewhere. Does anyone have any comments or hints to help me out. I have found a few websites to help me and ordered a manual online to help with the rebuild. I have also included a picture of the bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn1489.jpg (43.7 KB, 223 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 02:21 PM

Carbs are easy to rebuild, just take it to somebody to equilize the carbs.(Need carb sticks) The brakes are messy but not hard. Just remember it is not a sportbike. It is not designed to take really high speed corners. I hope this isn't your first bike.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 03:51 PM

That looks like my first bike a 81' Honda Twinstar CM200T. I'm giving the bike a make over. I'm striping the paint off and repainting it gloss black with purple flames, replacing the pipes that are on it with straight pipes and maybe boring out the cylinders. I decided since I got my new bike to try to make you old one look good. Good luck on the project, and hope everything goes well for you.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2004, 09:07 AM

Well you are in luck, my buddy and I have been in the process of restoring the exact same bike (started in 1998)... a 1975 to specific. Believe it or not I was given this bike by a lady at work because it had been sitting in their garage for 14 years unridden and they were about to pick up their new Harley in a month. With out even knowing anything about what I was going to get I said sure I'll come and get the free bike. It was a big suprise to find out that I had just gotten a vintage classic... first big CC motorcycle from Japan into the us....how cool was that. Well the bike was intact but from sitting in a damp garage for 14 years everything chrome was rusted but COMPLETE. None of the plastic was broken and the bike had only been tipped once in the driveway by the previous owner. This was when I proved to myself that you should always fill a bikes gas tank up completely full when storing it, the tank was only half full with fuel and the tank was rusted to shit above the gas line and perfect below... so always fill your tanks up when storing your machines. So far we have gotten the engine rebuilt, frame powdercoated, plastic repainted, boughten ungodly amounts of new parts off ebay, and now are awaiting to put it all back together. We have extra parts and some experience to share so as you proceed with your project just ask away with your quesetions. Oh the last piece we still need to buy are the ungodly expensive exhaust pipes.... $1200... a company in England is making them again...but without them the bike will never look like a true 1975Z1! Just thought of something cool.. when we were starting out just like you... I found a NIB original gas tank on EBAY.. can you believe it had been sitting in a guys closet for 25 years never used... wow what a find.. cost $550. Talk to you later
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2004, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Yes Splat, this is my first bike. But of course i do not count the endless number of dirt bikes I have ridden. I figured it was time to graduate from terrain to the road. I have found a guy to do my carbs, but he would not be able to get to them for a couple of weeks. It's going to take that long for me to strip the bike down, so thats a good thing.
Thanks for the info Dignityy, I may call on you with some questions in the future if you dont mind. I will have more pics of the bike in the future and the progress continues.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 05:43 AM

Hows the project going, need any parts yet?
you can email me at [email protected]
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

So far so good. I just finished rebuilding the carbs, and redoing the front brakes. Little bit different from cars that I am so used to. The only parts I need right now are two turn signal brackets for the back-end. I guess I will have to get some wiring for that also. Ive got a freind of mine who paints cars going to paint it for me. I was considering going back to the orig. color but I just dont think I can do it, May just go with black instead. all in one.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Smile

By the way, I will have new pics in just a couple of weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode