why does... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

why does...

why does my bike have to be a classic? To many people make fun of my bike cause it is so old. If i had the money i would get a newer bike, but i'm just a poor college kid. maybe if i was an old fart like most of you riding on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 02:25 AM

Do you like your bike? Do you enjoy riding it? Do you like the way it looks? If you answered "Yes" to any of these questions, then my advice to you is.........Fuck what people think. You dont have to have the newest fastest motorcycle to enjoy riding. If your on a "classic" or a repli racer all that counts is that your on two wheels and enjoying it!
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 10:37 PM

Yeah man, for awhile I was bummed about my bike being 'old' and a 'classic'... then I was able to take a ride on some other bikes: an F4i, 2002 R1, etc. Upon doing that, I realized that I really ENJOYED my bike, the way it felt, and the way it rode. Now, I'm still a poor college student riding an old bike, and I still get questions from people about when I'm "trading it in" or "moving up". By this point, between the resale value of my bike, and the investment I've made into it for maintenance and upgrades, I could've afforded at least a sizable downpayment on a repli-racer, or the purchase of an SV650s.

I have no interest in selling this bike, I plan to purchase more as funds become available, and I plan on owning them in addition to this one. That's pretty damn hard to explain to people when they ask when you're getting a 'new' bike. The reality I've come to discover is that people who are concerned with what bike you own or ride, are typically the people with their heads buried so far up their asses that they can't distinguish motorcycling from it's new, pop-culture representation. Never be down on your bike if you enjoy riding it; riding it is what the sport is about.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 10:52 AM

The best thing about riding an older bike is emberassing riders on newer machines that cant keep up with you!

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 11:11 AM

At least you have a bike. I just got a 2005 R6. Before that, I was riding a 1992 FZR600. People used to give me shit because my bike was old. It only made me laugh to hear these idiots trying to give someone shit about their bike when they don't even own one.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 11:30 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by Speedboy3 The reality I've come to discover is that people who are concerned with what bike you own or ride, are typically the people with their heads buried so far up their asses that they can't distinguish motorcycling from it's new, pop-culture representation. Never be down on your bike if you enjoy riding it; riding it is what the sport is about.
Touche.

Having good financial sense and not being dependent on mommy and daddy (or gramma and granpa) is far more mature. You'll learn more than they will in a shorter period. Mechanics is just one aspect. Appreciation for advances is another.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Its more more than a year since i've started this thread. I still have the bike, and she still runs just as great as before. She will stand straight up in first and second gear under power. I dont feel as bad about riding a classic now as I used to.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch
. Mechanics is just one aspect. Appreciation for advances is another.

You say that like it's a good thing. Damn leaky rocker boxes...

there's hope in the words and emotion in the eyes
it's so easy to be misled by the savvy gentle guise
and like fools we trust the delivery
but it's all just drunk sincerity
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 05:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to Xx954HxCafexX
my daily ride is 35 years old, my dirtbike is 25 years old and im 20, my friend who is 18 owns a 78 cb750, vintage bikes are the shit! and if you cant appreciate that, then........i pity you
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 10:28 PM

I have three bikes a 79 yamaha triple, 82 Yamaha Maxim and my 84 v65 Magna.
I Love older bikes people have gotten so used to seeing bike that look like Harley or a sport bike all in plastic it is neat to have something different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode