why sport bikes have a bad name! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

why sport bikes have a bad name!

Well I was reawakened today why sport bikes have such a bad image to the public - oh we know its not the bike - the idiot kids who ride like idiots. Imagine this..... I decide to go for a little night time ride (currently 80F outside) so I head down the freeway get off and start up a main 3 lane (3 each direction) road by a major mall in my area. I'm sitting there all by my self when up from behind comes a hornets nest of rockets... I mean there was a shittt load of them, probably 25 in all. They crowded the line like it was the starting of the Indy 500... I was like christ .. .and I am right in the middle lane. The light was about to turn green and they all start to rev up their bikes like it was super bike week..... then the light turns green and all 25 bikes take off like it was gods mission for them to reach the next light in 2.4 seconds (unsafe lane changes....wheelies, you name it). I was on my FZR1000 just riding normal and these idiot kids rocketed past me doing who knows how fast. I was so embarrassed to be riding next to them, at the next light I sat back about 50 feet so I would not be associated.. And sure enough when that light turned green about 10 tires smoked and they raced off like morons to the next light 1 block up.... were we like that when we were young.. and I'm only 32!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 09:39 PM

i dont do stuff like that mainly because it is dangerous and repairing a m/c cost alot of money which i dont have.....i have seen people do this sort of stuff also
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 03:31 AM
Dad

I wonder if they have any idea how totally their age they look?

If they think they're impressing anyone, they're right. I just don't think it's the impression they're after, though. Oh well.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 06:18 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by Dad
I wonder if they have any idea how totally their age they look?

If they think they're impressing anyone, they're right. I just don't think it's the impression they're after, though. Oh well.
If they did know, they wouldn't care. That's also a big part of the problem. No thought is given to others, only what is fun for them.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 07:21 AM

Those guys crack me up. I would hope the general public recognizes the not so subtle differences between a lone biker being polite and riding skillfully and a horde of idiots.

I ride alone almost all the time and almost entirely on rural country roads. Though I generally exceed the speed limits quite a bit, I always slow down when I see pedestrians or kids playing near/in the street. My bikes all have stock exhaust systems and I don't ride around at 9000 RPM all the time. Most people smile and wave to me.

Funny, I never see hordes of idiots on the really good roads around here. They tend to stick to the highways.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 07:50 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Quote:
Originally posted by stoinkythepig
Funny, I never see hordes of idiots on the really good roads around here. They tend to stick to the highways.
That's because that twisty stuff is for kids. If a real motorcyclist wants to showcase his "skillz" he's gotta have long flat and straight roads.

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by spicersh
That's because that twisty stuff is for kids. If a real motorcyclist wants to showcase his "skillz" he's gotta have long flat and straight roads.
werd

(first time I ever used that word, feels kinda funny, now I feel compelled to let my boxers hang out of my low slung giant pants)
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 07:55 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Quote:
Originally posted by stoinkythepig
werd

(first time I ever used that word, feels kinda funny, now I feel compelled to let my boxers hang out of my low slung giant pants)

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 09:34 AM
Strength and Honor

You all said pretty much the reality, so I'll just add to stoinky and scott, ROTFLMAO
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 12:46 AM

Ill throw in my $.02 since im so young. I think i ride like an idiot, but what you are describing is certainly something i dont do. I HATE using my brakes, i always downshift and coast up to a stop sign/stop light. I dont tailgate people, i dont let people tailgate me. I dont wheelie (unless i need to really really vent), i dont do stoppies.

Even if i do try some sort of wreckless antics i make sure im not going to endanger others. I make sure of several things. I have plenty of room, there is no obstacles, there is no pedistraians/traffic (no residential areas) and no police! ;-)

Really the only time im being an idiot is on the highway. For example: I just will be humming a long at 75-80mph and ill see this gap between two cars closing...

I can:

a.) roll the throttle on and pass them both
b.) I can get in the passing lane and wait 5minutes while grandma in a cutlass cierra or oldsmobile spends an etinity passing soccer mom.

I chose "A" Once i roll the throttle on i generally dont return back to 75mph until im about 1/8 mile ahead of them. Its that rocket like acceleration that blows my whistle when I am riding. The only place i can really do it semi safely is the highway -- i dont have to deal with cars pulling out in front of me, kids playing in the road, or oncoming traffic.

I am dieing to goto a real track where i can just let my bike rip. Next year if my 1000R is ready im going to hit up gingerman or grattan. Its time i start taking my pent up aggression at the track. I don't dare ride my bike hard on the street around corners and curves. I had a close call with sand once, and i was going very slow. Its just not safe to ride like that on the street.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode