I need help removing carburetors 75 CB200T, Pics inside!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Question I need help removing carburetors 75 CB200T, Pics inside!!

I am having a fuel problem (I believe). This is my first bike (2 weeks now) so I am new to the scene. The bike is a 75 Honda CB200T which I plan to learn on until I grab a new VLX or Aero around summer. ON to the problems.....

1) The bike stutters when I get it jump started

2) Rarely will the bike start using the push button. This never happens when the motor is cold.

3) The fuel line on the right side carb drips pretty bad when the fuel switch is ON.

4) Throttle hesitates when trying to accelerate. Gets worst the more quicker the acceleration.

5) The bike didn't come with a kick start for some odd reason.

What must I do / remove to get the carburetors loose from the bike?

Is it a must to drain the gas tank? Do I have to remove the gas tank to remove the carbs?

Do the problems above sound like the carbs may be clogged or one of the needles inside bad?

Here are some random shots I took of the carbs:

RIGHT SIDE CARBURETOR:

LEFT SIDE CARBURETOR:

Thanks for any help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 11:06 AM

The symptoms do describe gummed up carbs. It's a common problem on bikes that sit for long periods.

The method for taking the carbs off looks pretty obvious to me.
1. Release the spring clamps from the airbox boots, 2. disconnect the fuel lines from the top and bottom of each carb, if applicable, 3. unscrew the two screws (per carb) that attach the carbs to the head and they should slide out sideways. At that point you can disconnect the throttle and choke cable (if applicable) to get them all the way out.

Removing the tank will likely give you more room to work. Draining the tank is not necessary if the petcock has a functioning "OFF" position.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for the info. They were really easy to remove. From what I can see they look pretty clean. But, this is my first time seeing the insides of a carburetor so I could be wrong. Here are some pics I took of them off the bike:

Looking into the carb. from the air filter hose connection:

This is wher the carb. connects to the motor. NO gasket there...

Both carbs. looking in again from the rear side like in the first pic of this post.

This is what unscrewed from the top of the carbs:

How do I dismantle them now? Where would all the "gunk" be if they are clogged?

Right side carburetor:

Thanks again for the help!!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 04:55 AM

There is a wire "bale" (for lack of a better term) that holds the float bowl in place. It is quite obvious in the last picture and runs down across the bottom of the carb. The bale should rotate toward the front of the carb and the float bowl should come off with a little effort. Inside the float bowl you will likely find all kinds of fuel varnish and debris. Clean the varnish and debris out thoroughly with carb cleaner and compressed air. You will also find a pair of orifices that hold little threaded brass jets that can be removed with a flat blade screw driver. The smaller of the two is the pilot jet and it has very small holes in it that clog easily. Remove it, use the carb cleaner and compressed air to clean it out, and reinstall it. With luck, that will be all that's necessary to make it run OK. There are a whole bunch of other things to check but you really ought to get a service manual for these other tasks.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

A friend from down the street was over and took a look at the insides of the carburetors. Said they aren't that bad looking from what he can see. He admited he's not a pro, but doesn't think they need to be rebuilt. He did recommend a good cleaning of the carbs. though.

Here are the pics:

What do you guys think? I believe the lady I bought the bike from said her father had recently cleaned the carbs. up.

Thanks again!!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 05:28 AM

They look awful. The inside should look like bare metal, not varnished metal.

The top photo clearly shows the main and pilot jets. The main jet is in the top center of the photo and the pilot jet is just to the left of it. Get a big flat bladed screwdriver and take the pilot jet out. The end of it that is not visible has a few tiny holes that are likely plugged up with the same crud that has coated the whole interior of the fuel bowl. Clean those holes out throroughly and with luck, the engine will have proper throttle response. If not, you'll need to dig deeper.

I don't (yet) think they need a rebuild either and never alluded to that. The work I'm recommending is already 90% done and will cost you <$4 for the can of carb cleaner. Do the work and then see if it runs well. Nothing to lose.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by stoinkythepig
They look awful. The inside should look like bare metal, not varnished metal.

The top photo clearly shows the main and pilot jets. The main jet is in the top center of the photo and the pilot jet is just to the left of it. Get a big flat bladed screwdriver and take the pilot jet out. The end of it that is not visible has a few tiny holes that are likely plugged up with the same crud that has coated the whole interior of the fuel bowl. Clean those holes out throroughly and with luck, the engine will have proper throttle response. If not, you'll need to dig deeper.

I don't (yet) think they need a rebuild either and never alluded to that. The work I'm recommending is already 90% done and will cost you <$4 for the can of carb cleaner. Do the work and then see if it runs well. Nothing to lose.
That is definitely what I want to hear about the carbs. I hope a good cleaning will make the bike run nice. I'm not going any deeper into the bike. I also have to check the air filter out which I hope needs to be changed. Anyhow, thanks once again and I'll be cleaning them up tonight or tommorrow.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Here's what I removed to clean:

I sprayed the entire carburetor out really well and cleaned the bowl with the carb cleaner / Q-tips. The small openings are cleaned out as the cleaner sprayed right through the tiny openings. I cleaned the 2 screw things that are in the background making sure all the tiny holes were free of debris.

Went ahead and removed the air filters to see if they needed any attention. What do you know.... To me looked like they haven't been changed in YEARS!!!!

Can these filters be restored? If so, how would I go about doing this? I have compressed air, but I'm thinking it's going to take more than just air. Maybe a cleaner? If I am to buy new ones looks like I have to buy the entire assembly shown since the metal is connected to the filter with that yellow glue stuff.

Also, someone recommended I check the fuel filter which should be located in the fuel cut off switch. Anyone know for sure if the filter is the screen type? If so, I was told it would be better to replace the screen with a lawnmower type filter. Is the screen filter located inside here:

Thanks again for all the help!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 11:21 AM

If you can shine a flashlight through the air filter media and it has no holes, just re-use it as is. Looks like a paper filter element so I don't think it can be cleaned and re-oiled like a foam element.

The fuel filter is likely just a screen attached to the top half of the petcock inside the long flat portion you can see in in the last photo. Installation of an extra filter is likely an excellent idea. You won't need to worry about crud getting to the carbs and will only need to look at the stock filter if fuel starvation becomes a problem.

Based on the condition of the parts in the photos, I'd spend as little time and money as possible to get the bike running right.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by stoinkythepig
If you can shine a flashlight through the air filter media and it has no holes, just re-use it as is. Looks like a paper filter element so I don't think it can be cleaned and re-oiled like a foam element.
I'm going to just "brush" as much as the dirt off as possible. The entire assembly is one piece and I hear they will not be cheap.

Quote:
The fuel filter is likely just a screen attached to the top half of the petcock inside the long flat portion you can see in in the last photo. Installation of an extra filter is likely an excellent idea. You won't need to worry about crud getting to the carbs and will only need to look at the stock filter if fuel starvation becomes a problem.

I'm going to check that screen out next later this evening and probably upgrade to the external filter.

Quote:
Based on the condition of the parts in the photos, I'd spend as little time and money as possible to get the bike running right.
Exactly how I've been feeling about this bike. I am getting more than expected back for tax return so I don't mind putting a few bucks into her. But, within 3 months I should have my 04 600 or 750 so again little amount spent on this one is ideal....

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode