Tires for older bikes - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Tires for older bikes

Does anyone who makes good stickey sport tires in an 18" rear and a 19" front. Am working on switching my 83 KZ750 to 17" wheels, but until I can would like to find some good tires. Ones on the bike are Metzlers, a ME1 on the rear and a ME880 front and they just don't stick that good in the twisties.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 09:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to wantanaprilia
19 on the front/18 on the rear?

Look . . . the people you are after are the people you depend on. We cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances, we guard you while you sleep. Do not fu|< with us.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 05:05 AM
Retired Moderator

rhino105 I understand your problem 100% asd I also have 2 bikes (BMW R75/6 and Yamaha SR500) with 19 front and 18 rear and have the same problem finding tires.
I never managed to get really sporty tires for them, so I have Metzelers on the BMW and Bridgestones on the Yamaha.
Both bikes had standard sizes 4.00-18rear and 3.25-19 front.

On the BMW I have a Metzeler ME77 4.00-18 (not too sticky but last long) on the rear and ME33 Lazer 100/90-18 (much better than the rear) on the front.

On the Yamaha I use Bridgestone Exedra 120/90-18 on the rear and Bridgestone Exedra 100/90-18 on the front.
The front Exedra (I don't recall the exact Model number) is originally designed for Customs but it's soft and gives good handling. If you want me to go and see the actual model number just let me know. It's something like G5XXX I think.

I also ride a ZR7 with the legendary KZ750 engine like yours, it's got 17 inch wheels!! Maybe you should get a pair of these, then you can use 120/70-17 and 160/60-18.

I hope this info is useful to you.
Aris

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, I will look into it. I am planning on switching over to later model wheels in the future when time and finances allow it. Just wanting to find something that sticks better till that happens. Yes, wantanaprilia, back in the dark ages most sportbikes of the time had 19" front and 18" rear wheels. Bike is an 83 KZ 750.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 07:12 AM

Re: Tires for older bikes

Quote:
Originally posted by rhino105
Does anyone who makes good stickey sport tires in an 18" rear and a 19" front. Am working on switching my 83 KZ750 to 17" wheels, but until I can would like to find some good tires. Ones on the bike are Metzlers, a ME1 on the rear and a ME880 front and they just don't stick that good in the twisties.

im riding an XS750 D cafe racer and i dont like long lasting hard tyres and am currently in love with the BT45's they stick like glue and are available in the sizes you will need.

gorilla at heart forever
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 03:25 PM

Check out Avon. They make race compound tires for all of the Vintage bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode