Vf1000r - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Vf1000r

I just picked up a 1985 VF1000R Interceptor. It is in poor shape and will need many things. Anyone have any site/links/contacts that may help please reply. I need the following as a minimum:

A good used tank

A used exhaust system (after market OK)

Various plastic

And some ideas on the engine. Anyone know where I can pick up a whole engine cheap? If not, mine has a burnt valve and after taking off the valve cover, saw that the cams are slightly blued and damaged. I can't justify spending too much!!!

I would hate to chop up and sell such a beautiful classic bike as parts, so any help might save this rare classic!

I also still have my other "classic". My 1987 FZR1000 in nice condition....and it's still for sale!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 10:15 PM
tmt

sweet bike. Hope you get it all fixed up
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Hey!

I don't know how many people are going to see this, but there seems to be zero action on this forum. I was hoping for some help. Does anyone know of some cheap shops that do good motorcycle engine work? I can't spend thousands, and would love to get this V4 running again.

PS The 1987 FZR is sold!

Come on and help!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 07:46 PM

I can't offer any help other than encouragement. I think that is one of the best looking classics of all time. Don't know why but that bike was just too damn cool.

Good luck getting it up and running.

Maybe just find a good local race tuner, they would have the skills to do it right without just trying to throw a bunch of new but un-necessary parts at it. Just replace what really needs it??
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 05:09 PM

Give http://www.vfrworld.com/gallery/gen12.html a try for better help.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 07:49 PM

Re: Vf1000r

Quote:
Originally posted by waynofzr
I just picked up a 1985 VF1000R Interceptor.
That's my bike!! Actually, they didn't call it an Interceptor in the U.S. in '85 and '86, the only years it was sold here. The '84 WAS an Interceptor, but was just like the V45 (750) Interceptor, with chain-drive cams, abbreviated fairing and chin spoiler

You might be surprised at how much VF1000R stuff comes up on ebay periodically. I think a few get parted out every year there.

I've got 20K on mine, bought it with a salvage title several years ago with 6500 miles on it for $2K. I have no cam problems that I'm aware of, but I know many V-fours did suffer from galled cams. I think I saw an engine on ebay several months ago. You might have to be patient. Some bike graveyards might have a wrecked one that would have an intact engine, but you'll have to search for those.

Mine gets ridden regularly. It's not stuck in the garage, and it still looks great! You'll enjoy it if you get it running. It's a little heavy for aggressive canyon work and wheelies, but once you get used to it it's fun. Loads of low-end torque, and a great sound.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Ken,

I am quite familiar with the old VF's and VFR's. My 1st street bike was a VF500 (the sweetest handling bike I've had), then a VF750, AND I regularly ride a 84 VF1000 that my best friend has. I know about the torque. My friend's is jetted and piped and it will stay with me up to maybe 9K rpms before my power gets too strong (on a 8 year newer, lighter FZR1000).

Since the 1st thread, I have bought a tank and all new plastic and a seat. We dumped some stuff in the cylinders and I think we've gotten whatever was sticking the valve (I guess it wasn't burned). The cams still show wear and the bike is still missing a little, but I think it's the carbs. Will tear them down this winter and should have a nice sport tourer next year.

What I would like to get is an inexpensive aftermarket 4-into-1 exhaust. Any help would be nice. I have been looking some on the net but no luck.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2003, 08:36 PM

Inexpensive 4-into-1? Hard to find.

I bought some Cobra F-1R slip-ons for mine, less than $200. I think it was from Chaparral or Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse. Sounds great. Had to find a jet kit for it though. I found a DynoJet kit on ebay for $40. Wow. Saved some $ there. It also fixed my high-RPM miss.

I also opened up the airbox some. It's pretty noisy. when you're on the bike, the intake noise is about as loud as the exhaust. The sounds kinda compliment each other though.

I think Hindle made a 4-into-1, but they were expensive. I found a thread in a search that referred to holeshot.com's 4-into-1, but that thread was 6 years old.

Maybe Dale Walker (holeshot.com) would have a leftover pipe in back, but I'd guess that some other VF enthusiast has already snapped up whatever's left. Good Luck!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Ken,

I was really looking for a 4 into 1 because I want to get rid of some of the weight and that huge collector before the pipes is quite heavy. I also like the single pipe look. I guess I have to be patient to find one. Also, can you give me some ideas on how you opened up the airbox? I don't just want to go hacking away at it? Thanks.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 07:14 PM

Airbox mods

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't cut another hole, but what I did was pull out the two rubber intake tubes from the front of the airbox and cut an additional square hole in the center front of the airbox in between the two existing holes.

I think just pulling out the tubes would give plenty of flow, and you should try it before making permanent mods to see if the intake noise drives you crazy.

I tried an airbox mod on an old Yamaha Vision I once had, but the intake noise was totally obnoxious, so I put it back stock.

It wouldn't be hard for me to just cover the hole I cut with a piece of plastic JB Welded over the hole I cut, but I don't mind the noise. The V-4 intake noise sounds a lot like my exhaust with the slip-ons.

My brother had an old VFR750 with a SuperTrapp exhaust on it, and it was too loud and raspy for my taste. He ended up putting the stock pipes back on. He bought it with the SuperTrapps installed, but the guy gave him the stock exhaust too.

Good luck with the mod! My intake tubes had been siliconed in by a previous owner. I think it had been raced and the tubes had been removed before, but they came off pretty easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode