cafe racing time - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Smile cafe racing time

hey guys, I'm almost done getting my bike back together and soon will be hitting the streets, I just finished putting on a new airbox and funky turn signals. and drag bars are coming next. how many of you guys have vintage bikes like mine, and how many of you still race them? got any pics, also how do I find more info on cafe racing. it will be just a street bike, but I would maybe like to get on the track once or twice while I have it.

also if you don't have one, does anyone even like them anymore? and who is looking to buy in the future?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

am I the only one who likes classics? am I the only one who wants to race them? this is so sad to me
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 03:58 PM

I am a fan of classics myself. My current ride is a '75 Yamaha RD350 which I am currently finishing a frame up rebuild. There is a very active online community for the 2 stroke yamaha bikes (look under the yamaha RD posting on this forum). Since I don't currently have a classic honda I don't look for much information on them. On my list of bikes I want to own is a CB400F. I remember them from my youth and that bike left a lasting impression on me.

Lew

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

I keep hearing about the rd's being used for race projects, I doubt my bike will ever be the cafe racer/street fighting pimp I want it to be but its fun to dream. I would love to get on the track at morosso one day for a lap or 2. any idea how much they charge for vintage races? I don't know much about the cb400f, actually I don't even know much about my bike, except for the fact that its an 84 and in 84 they didn't exist in america, which explains the kilometer style speed-o, well I like my bike and look foward to getting back on the road with her this week. happy motoring
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 12:54 PM

Lew, if you ever get the chance to make it to Mid-Ohio Vintage days, we ususally have quite a few of them here for sale every year.

Neko, guess you could say i was a fan of the classics myself. At the present time i own a 77-CB750K a 78-CB750K a 75-Goldwing a 81 CB 900 F/SS a 81-Kz 550, a 81-GPz 550 a 81 Yamaha Virago 750 a 84-Shadow VT700C a 66-250 Honda a 65-180 Ducati (Galara ?) a 81 Kz 400 a 71 Tiger 500 a 72 Tiger 750 a 81 CB 750 Custom a 89 Ninja 250 and a 90 GS 500 E track bike.

My 90 GS 500 is on the street for the rest of this season then will be bacl to strickly a track bike for next year. It will also be my first season racing. I plan to race WERA and it also qualifies for vintage racing so i'll take a crack at that too.

Most of my racing days were spent on the 1/4 mile. I raced for 15-16 years mostly on Kawasaki's and an 82 CB1100 F. Now i plan to try the closed course tracks.

If your looking for older style cafe bodywork to add to the looks of your bike, i believe that AirTeck still carries some of the older styles.

I used to have a couple of older Rd's and Rz's, i wish i still had them too....

Rob

Last edited by Breeze; 08-29-2002 at 12:57 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

wow damn rob thats a hell of alot of bikes, how do you ride/care for them all, well I see your a fan of the honda cb series, I'm glad I'm not the only owner here. did you ever race your cb900f/ss on the tracks how did it handle?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 11:47 AM

Actually, i'm really more a Kawi fan even though i don't consider myself a brand specific person.

As for the 900 F/SS, no i have never raced it on a drag strip or closed course. I do how ever like to play with her on the street. She is set-up for the drag strp now but , i guess she just never made there. I have too much fun riding her.

Caring for all the bikes is not as bad as it seems. I keep 3-4 bikes on the street at all times. They all get regular maintance as needed and the others are either in storage or in my dinnig room. No joke, my friends joke about which brand they want to sit on when they come to dinner. ( i guess it's one of those things you have to see for yourself.)

Rob
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 12:23 PM

Thumbs up

I aslo have a vintage supersport bike it's a 1975 Honda CB 550 F
don't race it i've done a few quater mile races with it nothing big tho it's more of a sunday rider for me or the old lady it's still barley brokin in with on 9500 miles on it... runs like a top sounds great too...
oh by the way i'm also looking for a complete clutch and rearsets for it .......if anyone knows where i can find this stuff for a reasonable price drop me a line......
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 12:32 PM

Nice little bike bowser. I forgot to put that one on my list. I too have a 75 CB 550 F. I use it to ride to the coffee shop in the evenings after work.

As for the parts your looking for, i'm not sure where to look for those items. You may have to do like i have on a couple of bikes and buy after market items then re-fit them to the bike. I'm lucky, one of the guys that rides with me owns his own machine shop so, i get what i need made for me then mount the set-up to the bike.

Should you know of any one looking for a great little bike, my 550 F is for sale.

If i come across any thing for your bike i'll post it here for ya or use your e-mail button.

Rob
Breeze
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

hit ebay, I get everything from there, heres a list of stuff I've gotten for the bike so far.

stator $10
headlight $20
wiring harness $10
fuse box $10
left hand controls $5
light ears $30
airbox $6
front fender $7

not bad huh, for the stator alone honda wanted $630, EBAY BABY!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in