opinions needed - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

opinions needed

where is everyone?? must be out riding.. i'm going to wait for it to cool down a bit... anyway i own an fzr1000 was thinking of taking it out back in the fall and putting it to sleep. get a newer bike for next year. now i'm starting to grow partial to the thing... so i'm thinking of full resto over the snow months.. here's where my question comes in.. being an 87 red white and blue should i restore it and keep the original paint colors. a friend of mine gave me some awsome pearl blue met. base/clear...not to far off from the r1blue.. what to do..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 12:56 PM

If it's mint keep it stock. If it's getting old go for the custom IMO.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

well, it is in need of cosmetic resto. it's fine to ride. the uper is cracked and the stickers scratched up some.. mech, it's awsome. i will be tearing it down this fall.. plastics, engine, down to bear frame.. i guess it's a matter of preference... there arn't many around... some consider it a pioneer of sorts. just wanted some opinions..

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 11:33 AM

I personally think you should keep it with stock colors. That was one good looking bike. My best friend had the 88 model and it rocked.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

yeah, kind of the way i was leaning also. i was thinking about the first time i saw it how great i thought it looked... thanks
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 03:33 PM

Yeah, IMO I would stay with the stock colors. I get alot of head turning with my bike. People want to know what the hell it is. If it were a solid color, it would look like a million others that had been painted for track days or because it was trashed. Both the 87 (Red) and 88 (Blue) were the most awesome looking bikes of the day.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

another great reason.. i does stand out in a crowd doesn't it. i certainly mean no disrespect be saying this but, that is one of the main reasons i bought it to begin with. i didn't want to get something that looked store bought.. when everyone has one it starts to miss something to me... with a few exceptions like the busa:>)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 12:29 PM

I would stay stock. I have a 78 GS1000 in mint condition on which I sport around and sport tour. I have resisted the impulse to improve/modify because of the effects on metal fatigue etc.. New accessory parts can easily boost performance beyond an older bike's capacity. Eg, even fiddling around with carburetion, sprockets etc can set up vibrations which will wear out cam chains faster etc. Hard rubber seals (such as carb boots) will suddenly spring leaks, leading to overheating etc., If you want to hop up the bike you should only do so on a complete overhaul so that older parts such as bearings, seals, gaskets are not overstressed. When staying stock, it adds versimilitude to keep the stock colours. Best solution, if you can afford is to keep the bike as a local run around show bike and get a newer sport bike for performance.

I now need a new seat cover, and have found that is the hardest stock item to get, and almost impossible to have done by a custom upholstered for a reasonable price - some exotic high tech - heat press is used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode