1985 Honda VF700 Interceptor - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2002, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to ga_skyline_rydr Send a message via Yahoo to ga_skyline_rydr
1985 Honda VF700 Interceptor

I remember these bikes when I was an undergraduate in college. Now I don't see too many. Saw one last week and I got curious. Anyone out there tell me anything about these bikes: reliability, and any other info that might help me out. I am thinking about buying one and really don't know anything about them. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2002, 07:13 AM

The '85 VF700F was the last of the first-generation of Interceptors, which began in '83 with the VF750F. It was 700cc rather than 750 due to the Harley tariff, which went into effect in 1984 and applied to bikes over 700cc.

Many of Honda's early V4s had a serious cam/lifter wear problem. Some attribute it to oiling or metallurgy deficiencies, but the most believable explanation I've heard is penny-pinching that eliminated line-boring of the cam bearing bores. Aftermarket kits that improve oiling and purport to solve the problem are available, but I'm skeptical.

Whatever the case, it's difficult to recommend a bike that could end up costing more than it's worth. If you want an early V4, the '86-'89 VFRs (700s and 750s) are real gems.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DataDan
The '85 VF700F was the last of the first-generation of Interceptors, which began in '83 with the VF750F. It was 700cc rather than 750 due to the Harley tariff, which went into effect in 1984 and applied to bikes over 700cc.

Many of Honda's early V4s had a serious cam/lifter wear problem. Some attribute it to oiling or metallurgy deficiencies, but the most believable explanation I've heard is penny-pinching that eliminated line-boring of the cam bearing bores. Aftermarket kits that improve oiling and purport to solve the problem are available, but I'm skeptical.

Whatever the case, it's difficult to recommend a bike that could end up costing more than it's worth. If you want an early V4, the '86-'89 VFRs (700s and 750s) are real gems.

I just bought an 87 VFR700 for $1000 and I like it so far. I still like my ZX-7.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 02:27 PM

x

Last edited by dabreeze; 08-15-2003 at 04:25 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 07:32 PM

My first bike was a 1983 VF750 Intercetpor, i bought it outta some old lady's garage for 200 dollars with 3 friends we spend the next 6 months repainting, polishing , and restoring, but its now DEAD. lol engine just wont hold compression, I hope to get a new bike SOON.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 10:38 AM

Thank you for the*informative*posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode