just saying hello.new to board - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

just saying hello.new to board

well just when i thought i was going to spend the summer driving the 93 mark 8 lincoln, my luck broke, my wife descided it was time to get a 4door(lucky you say?) well that gave me the chance to sell my lincoln and buy a bike with half the cash!!! i just got a fzr1000(87) she's a good runnerin need of a good owner,(been neglected) so i learned my lesson. never sell your bike unless it's to get another. i almost wasn't riding this season.... so hello to all,good to be here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 02:00 AM
Founder

Garage
Welcome to SBW!

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 06:20 PM

Sweeeeettt!

So, how does it run? Is it smooth to redline? Is it stock? I would like to get at least a slip-on for my exhaust, but don't want to spend that much. What kind of rubber and how does it handle with it?

I am always looking for more info since my '87 FZR1000 is the 1st Yam I've ever owned. Not too many people seemed to have ridden or owned one. I've had mine for about 1-1/2 years and got it with less than 14K miles.

I currently have Michelin Macadams on it but I will need new skins before the summer is out. I do like them but am wondering if there is anything better out there that will last more than a year (I don't go around draggin my knee and doing burnouts).

The way I ended up with it was I was e-shopping for my bike with some pre-defined bikes I wanted. All were older bikes under $3K.
1st was a GSXR1100 1986-1990
2nd was a Honda VFR750 with Alum frame 1986-1990
3rd was a GSXR750 1986-1993
4th was a FZR750 (Rare) or a FZR1000
I have owned several Hondas including VF500 and VF750 and my last bike was a GSXR750. I just ended up with a great deal and drove 500mi to check it out. Rest is history.

Welcome to SBW! Let me know if you want to e-mail me directly and I will give you my e-mail

Have fun!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 06:22 PM

Hey....I just saw the stock but not for long on your info. Let me know if you get a full system and want to get rid of the Supertrap!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

yeah,it's good in some ways,lots to do... i just cleaned it and found a full stainless exhaust with the supertrap. it pulls grat but only to about 7k. it starts to loose power alot around then, it also doesn't idle right, so it's got a few issues. vacume leek? valve adj? perhaps the previous owner didn't jet it but there isn't any dead spots..pulls like a freight train till 7. thanks for the invite..
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 03:53 PM

Hey FZR1000, I should have responded before now, sorry. There is for sure something wrong with your bike. Depending on miles it may need tune-up and/or valve adjustment. You are in for some fun. If you think it pulls good now, it has an almost 2 stroke kick just above 8K that continues past redline. You may have to sort it out with the pipes and jetting. If it has a K&N kit in it, they don't mind helping. It just takes awhile to get through on the phone (A friend of mine is going through the same thing now with his 1000 Interceptor). Also, I think the website has some downloadable instructions for setting up the carbs after jetting.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

sounds like some great info..i did find one culprit... the fuel filter..now it pulls great...i also can't rule out the bike didn't see alot of maintence.. i am putting in new plugs and oil+filter, got new rubber as i speak.. i am going to give it a full resto in the fall..seals, bearings, cluch, and maybe a major mtr rebuild. i am need of lots of info coming from the 4 wheel world.. for instance, i noticed the forks are inverted on later models, can i swap those. i read the bottom end of the mtr is stoughter in 90+any tech articles, books or any other info would be greatly app.. thanks for taking the time to write... btw..nice bike..:>)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2002, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

GOOD NEWS!! i just finished doing the carbs, plugs. fresh oil (needed bad) and new rubber.. what a wake up.. just playing the front jumped up like nothing.. what a difference,, i havent even got to break in the b10 bridgestone,. what do you all think about them.. i just saw an add for the ss ones(bridestone) any ops on this tire.. better than the 10's?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2002, 07:26 PM

No, I don't have any info for tires on this bike. I always worry about buying tires because they can really make it feel like you're ridin a different bike (and not always for the better). I had a bad experience in the 80's when I switched to Metzlers on my Interceptor. Never felt I could trust the bike after that ( and then I crashed it). I currently have Michelin Macadams (older model) that need replacing in the next couple of months. Feel and grip seem good, but if you have any advice let me know how you like your new tires. How hard do you ride and how close to the ground do you get your knee? Do you ride on the track at all? I commute on my bike in good weather, do some fast street riding occasionally, and intend to do at least one or two track days this year. BTW, my friend just got Bridgestones for his 1000 Interceptor. I will let you know how he likes them after he returns from vacation and breaks them in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode