2-stroke street bikes - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2002, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

2-stroke street bikes

I recently stumbled onto a site that specializes in the old 2-stroke Yamahas RZs/RDs & there were a couple of the Honda NSRs. I had ridden a RD 400 a couple of times many years ago & I recall how quick it seemed. Pulled wheelies like crazy just on acceleration. I'm thinking about buying a 2nd bike, not new, that I could do most of my commuting to & from work on in order to avoid wearing out my R6. @ the same time I want it to be a fun sportbike that can still carve it up well in the twisties. I'm hoping to get some insight into how good these older types of bikes are & if there is some mods that would make it even better in terms of power, body work, handling. Yeah I know I want my cake & eat it too
I appreciate any thoughts you have.
Thanks, Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2002, 01:33 AM
Retired Moderator

Hi Steve,

I have also ridden such bikes many years ago and was amazed by the acceleration. I really like old bikes and own and ride them as well. They re really good fun, but I don't think you would really enjoy commuting on one today.
To get such a bike to ride it from time to time, and have fun is different than riding to work.
First of all the power isn't that much, it just feels like that because it comes in abruptly and you 'feel' it. This feeling (most of it) was lost with the RD(Z)350 YPVS although it was more powerful and much faster.
Handling wasn't really good even for their time, brakes ar terrible, and by todays standards, you will be very dissapointed if you ride it after your R6. And the costs for commuting to work will be higher than the R6.
Just my opinion of course, but I think it would be a fun bike to ride on a Sunday to enjoy the sound acceleration etc, but then go back and take your R& to go in the twisties

Aris
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2002, 02:02 AM
Founder

Garage
I agree. 2Strokes make great Track bikes and Weekend bikes, but would be terrible as a "daily commuter".

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2002, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Robert & ariszr7,

Thanks guys,

I appreciate the feedback. I've wondered about a track bike as well, just figured it would be my R6 when I decide to replace it. Maybe it makes more sense to pick up a cheaper ride, work on it, then ride it on the track. If I crash it I won't look like the guy sitting on the side of road "thinking"
I know there are some fun places to ride a small bike like that I don't go to very often, places you're lucky to see 3rd gear, and of course there is the fun of pulling wheelies out of each of these low speed corners
Oh well, back to the drawing board.
Later
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 10:48 PM

If you want a cheap commuting hack, 600 bucks and your local newpaper/buy and sell/ auto trader will get you a nighthawk with all sorts of commuter friendly things like shaft drive and hydraulically adjusting valves, doing away with change maintenance and expensive maintenance. Add gas, and occasionally oil and ride it away.

They also have 60 HP, so you can still put your licsense at risk if you are so inclined
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 06:30 PM

I also have an interest in the old Yamaha RD models. My first street bike was a 70 something RD250. For some time it was my only transportation. It was light, fast and cheap. I saw an RD400 in the cycle trader today for $600.00. I considered getting it just for the hell of it. As mentioned here though, it would have to be a weekend bike. I well remember the old 250 spitting the baffles out on a regular basis, fouling the plugs, and just generally stopping for no apparent reason. I think I pushed that bike almost as far as I rode it. But hey, I think I paid $80.00 for it. Anyway, the RD's still seem to have a following. I've seen a few websites that deal with the bikes. I may buy another one yet!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay P
If you want a cheap commuting hack, 600 bucks and your local newpaper/buy and sell/ auto trader will get you a nighthawk with all sorts of commuter friendly things like shaft drive and hydraulically adjusting valves, doing away with change maintenance and expensive maintenance. Add gas, and occasionally oil and ride it away.

They also have 60 HP, so you can still put your licsense at risk if you are so inclined
I thought of going for something sensible but there is a part of me that just doesn't want to do it. You're right that the older nighthawks had some ability to go & they seem to last forever.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by BanditBoy
I also have an interest in the old Yamaha RD models. My first street bike was a 70 something RD250. For some time it was my only transportation. It was light, fast and cheap. I saw an RD400 in the cycle trader today for $600.00. I considered getting it just for the hell of it. As mentioned here though, it would have to be a weekend bike. I well remember the old 250 spitting the baffles out on a regular basis, fouling the plugs, and just generally stopping for no apparent reason. I think I pushed that bike almost as far as I rode it. But hey, I think I paid $80.00 for it. Anyway, the RD's still seem to have a following. I've seen a few websites that deal with the bikes. I may buy another one yet!
@ $600.00 it would be a fun project bike The other points you bring up in your reply are the things that had faded from my memory but I remember carrying extra plugs & roadside repairs
More & more if I were to get one it would have to be a track bike kinda deal. That way I can always pack it up & still get home when (not if) it breaks down
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 09:06 AM

You know, even with all the pushing and repair work, I still look back on the old 250 and smile! Hell, I gotta at least call about the 400
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 04:34 PM

Talking Fun Bikes

Go get a Good used bike for beating up on. You will enjoy it when you are doing it.Since they are pretty cheap. Then if you wreck it you will not be out a lot of $$$.. I have a few twin 2 strokes just for that reason plus all the parts are interchangable. And Now I am getting a GREAT DEAL as in FREE 70 ? R5 complete from a previous owner who wants it to go to a good home.And not the Bone Yard. That way I will have back up parts so if one fails i have extras.Also i can set them up for different riding styles and seasons. Plus it is just fun GASSING IT With RD series and a few mods. Wheelies are just the by product of fine tuning. Enjoy what ever you get it will be a reasonable cost for a bike 10 yrs or older. Then have fun JW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode