'88 CBR-600 specs - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Talking '88 CBR-600 specs

I'm pretty new to the world of biking, 16 and I just got my first ride a few months ago, a '88 CBR-600. I've been wondering the horsepower/torque (even a rough guess) on it, like [email protected],000 kinda thing, and I've been unable to find this anywhere. I was just hoping someone here would be able to help me out. Thanks for your time and see ya on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 09:20 PM

Thumbs up

Welcome to the wonderful world of two wheels! There was a time when I knew the answer to your question, but not anymore. Here's a company that you can buy all the past reports and tests on your specific machine from select magazines for a fee. Browse up to the '87 1000 Hurricane for an example of what you get. I think you'll find it reasonable. I like to collect everything I can for my machine. I have an oldie too... it's hard to get info. Did you see about paying a visit to your local Honda dealer to get the offical shop manual for your machine? It's worth the cash. Especially if you like to get into the nitty gritty like me.

http://www.mcreports.com/Pages/Hondalist.html

Did you try http://www.dogpile.com/ for a search on your machine?

I'll keep my eye out for ya, maybe I'll come across something too.

Good luck!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man. I did get a repair manual (kinda a Hanes-ish thing) but it had everything except the rate HP/Torque. And thanks for the welcome, the world of 2 wheels has been a damn good one so far.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 11:59 PM

My second bike as an 88 all red with white stripe Honda Hurricane.. Man I loved that bike.. it was absolutley beautiful and so much fun to ride (may she rest in peace).. If I could get my hands on another one , man what woud I do..

I dont reacall the horsepower.. nothing compared to todays 600's but plenty of power and a wonderful ride.. Enjoy
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

I got the same paint going man, red with the white stripes and tank, beautiful

I managed to find a Swiss site (I think it was Swiss) that had the '88 Hurricane states. He had it as 85hp/11,000. I remember reading someplace that the Canadian model was faster or something due to less air-cleanish laws and I know/think that Europe was much stricter. Anyway, think that's a decent estimate?

Also, biking kicks ass. So far I've only ridden on my own (or with a passenger) because I kinda live in Squid-ville. There are about 5 other sportbikes in town, mostly 2000-600's but I'm the only one who wears any kind of gear... and I'm the youngest rider, figure that one out
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 02:00 PM

thats Awsome, I think I have apic or two of mine .. I'll try and post them.. if you what di dit cost you now.. I think I got mine back then for about $3200 US.. I am telling you its a kick ass bike and very rider friendly.. I think I am in love.. I wanna marry your bike..LOL
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

I bought mine for $3100 Cdn, used from a dealer. It's got 35,000 kilo's on it and still runs/sounds fine except for being rich, but I can't afford a jetting right now. I had some dig camera pics of it, but I formatted the hard drive, I'll look around now and if I can find them I'll definately put them up dude.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike 3fornet.jpg (178.9 KB, 354 views)
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 04:34 PM

Its beautiful man... dunno about anyone else on here. but that buke has got to be one of the prettiest ever made..

Enjoy it.. great choice for a first bike... I started on a 500 interceptor, then a year later got this.. given the choices you have today, I woudl consider this biek not only a great looking on, but a responsible choice to start with... If you ever get down to Cali with it, I'd trade it for the day with my 01 929 (maybe longer )...

I'll see if I got pics
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 04:45 PM

1988 CBR600 specs

OK, just for you (actually I would help out any new rider) I have dug up some of my old mags so you will get it from the source. So here goes...

Price new:3898.00 11.0:1 Comp 32mm carbs wet = 450lb dry = 419 wheelbase=55.5" seat is 30.4 high (I love that)
Here's the good stuff...
Measured top speed 140mph
Projected best 1/4 mi = 11.38 at almost 118mph

Info provided from 1988 motorcyclist mag, following are some comments from Nick Ienatsch and Mitch Boehm:

This bike makes mediocre riders good and good riders great. Wide open at willow's turn 8, the bike sat there at full lean, calmly soaking up pavement ripples, seemingly bored with the whole affair. Circulating Willow quickly was easier on this Honda than on any other bike I've ever ridden.

Sounds like a pretty good bike. I've ridden some 10/12 years ago and just loved them. AND they are a HECK of alot more comfortable than today's rockets. If you want more info, just drop me an email.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode