No more outrigger turn signals!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

No more outrigger turn signals!!

I replaced my outrigger stock turn signals with smaller stalked smoke lensed a couple of months ago. But they weren't very bright, and in the meantime I started to see some newer crotchrockets that had the rear dual-bulb taillight converted to double for turn signals.

So, I bought some flush-mounts for the front, had to drill two 1" holes in the fairing and mounted them (dual-filament bulbs).

They look better than I thought they would. Then I bought a trailer light convertor box at Autozone. It is designed to allow newer vehicles with separate bulbs for brake, running and turn signal lights to activate a typical trailer that uses one bulb for all three.

It works pretty good, but when I hit the brakes the signal light starts flashing much faster, as if there were a bulb out. I think I'll just live with it. It might even draw more attention to the signal when the brakes are on.

Maybe there's not enough load on that circuit with the brake light on for some reason. Anyone out there have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 11:26 AM

Yeah, mine do the same thing. I dunno if there's a way around it or not.

But like you said, it's no big deal, so I probably won't mess with it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Tried a fix for the fast blinking--no success

I just tried to fix the fast-blinking-with-brake-on problem. I figured there wasn't enough load on the signal circuit before the converter box, so I used a test-light to create a little more load.

No difference. I may try a larger light, since the small light in the test light may not provide enough load to affect anything. I'll have the seat/tailpiece off this weekend after my Cobra F1R slip-ons get here. I'll be opening up the airbox, since the pipes should drown out the noise, and I'll try a larger bulb then.

If a larger bulb works, then I'll measure the resistance and maybe find a couple of resistors to install in the signals to fix it. I'll post the results here.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Fixed the fast-blinking problem!

I fixed my signals so the don't blink fast when I hit the brakes. You have to have a load of the same resistance as a turn signal bulb to keep the signals flashing slowly.

The converter box lights the appropriate taillight bulb with the bike's turn signal current until the brake light comes on. Then, it lights both taillight bulbs with the bike's brake light current while the turn signal current simply trips a relay to make one blink. This relay doesn't use enough amperage to operate the bikes flasher operate normally, so it goes into that fast "bulb out" mode.

Here's how to fix it:

You could just wire a turn signal bulb (a running light doesn't draw enough current--I tried it) to each signal input on the converter box. But now you have light flashing around somewhere in your tailpiece, not to mention the finite life of a bulb.

What I did was measure the current and find the resistance I neede to properly load the circuit. You need 2 8-ohm resistors capable of 20 watts. I don't have the Radio Shack part number, but they only have one that meets the above specs. It is a square ceramic rod about two inches long. Just wire one end of each resistor to each signal input on the convertor box, and the other to ground. Walaa! Fixed.

Remember that these resistors will get warm, but will last forever. The duty cycle of turn signals is not enough to overheat them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode