Turbos... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Turbos...

Just before the server problems, there was a forum on turbos and the problems that you may encounter with trying to add one to a non-turbo bike...

Here's what I'm thinking. I have an FJ600 and would like to know the feasability of installing the turbo unit from a 650 Seca. I have Mikuni RS34 carbs and I have contacted Sudco and they inform me that these carbs will work with a blow-through system. I know I will need to adapt a fuel pump and must deal with the exhaust plumbing. Does anyone out there know of any other problems I will run into?

Has anybody out there done anything like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 10:53 PM

Nitro,
I had a seca turbo for a lot of years. Along with a fuel pump, those bikes also had knock sensors. The carbs could be tricky as they are pressurised when the boost is up. You'll also need the intake manifold that runs between the turbo and carbs. It has a reed valve in it for better responce at low rpm. Also remember that the pipe on the right side is only for the wastgate on the turbo. It should haul ash if you can make it work.

Mike
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 11:12 PM

Heya Nitrous.

Kind of off the original topic here, but noticed you have an FJ as well, and thought would fire you a question

Have you added any aftermarket fairing, or found a comparable lower fairing for your bike? I have been checking out some aftermarket stuff, but have seen no pics of any. Just wondering if you had bothered sprucing the bike up or left it as is, hehe.

Dan

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tirefryer
Nitro,
I had a seca turbo for a lot of years.
Mike
Did your bike have the boost kit? What were your riding impressions of that bike? Was it fast?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 10:56 PM

Hysyde,
The only things I did to the bike performence wise was to replace the cans, rejet and reduce the size of the wastgate hole. They handle pretty well for a eary 80's bike. When not on boost these things are gutless dogs but when you hit around 6 grand the whole tone of the bike changes. On boost they run fairly hard. In a straight line it would beat most 750's, atleast until the gsxr and the fzr's and such in the late 80's. The best I could ever get it to run was in the 12.4's. They are very hard to launch.

Mike
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 11:32 PM

I friend of mine has a Seca turbo which has been sitting for the last 3 to 4 years. When we last had it out I found it quite hard to keep in the boost under various situations. Especially during roll-ons and maxium acceleration from a dead stop. Was that common for these bikes.

Tirefryer, thanks for your thoughts. The boost kit I mentioned was a factory offering from Yamaha, I was told, and was basically nothing more than some springs and washers. The same person who mentioned this told me this put the bikes into the 100hp range. Ever heard of that?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Crius: My bike has had several lives. The first life was the original fairing. Hated it and got rid of it not long after I bought the bike. I then mounted an FZ600 fairing because I thought the double headlights looked cool. Hey, I was young. It was alot of work. The first thing was creating the mounting bracket for the upper fairing so that the handlebars would turn. I ended up welding tabs onto my steering column to bolt it on. Then, unfortunately, the FJ is about 2 inches taller than the FZ. So when I had the upper fairing on and the lower fairings on, they did not meet in the middle. I ended up having strips plastic welded onto the lowers so that they met. Then, I got rid of the fairing all together and mounted the headlight off of a 650Honda Hawk. I like it much better without any fairings. As far as additions to your stock fairing, I know that TARGA used to make lowers to bolt on. If they are still available and you like your existing fairing, this is the route I would take.

TireFryer: I recently bought a turbo book and it has a system diagram in it from the 650 Seca. From what I got out of it so far, it doesn't look that complicated. Do you know where the knock sensors were located? Would they be adaptable to other bikes? I was also told by the Mikuni distributor that all I would have to do to pressurize my carbs is run a pressure tube from the airbox to the float bowl vent.

Hysyde: I have heard of the kit that you are talking about. (I might have heard it here???). The turbo book that I have says that the stock Seca had 74hp unmodified. 100 doesn't seem out of the question.

Anybody got some turbo parts they don't need
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 01:53 PM

Nitrous, You heard about the boost kit from me before the server problems. I haven't had the existence of it confirmed (the guy who told about it me used to work for Yamaha, but he can be a bit unreliable at times). I really hope you get your turbo FJ project off the ground. Like I said, my buddies got a Seca turbo lying around, and I have a FZ 600 with a pile of parts to go with it. So please keep me informed on any progress you make and maybe I'll think about trying to turboize my old Fz. I'll try and look into a few things to help, including diassembling the Seca to inspect it. My friend also has 2 factory Yamaha service manuals, for the bike, which he paid something like $75 each. I'll try and get him to dig them up.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 10:11 PM

I totalled my Seca Turbo in 1984

Quote:
Originally posted by Tirefryer
Hysyde,
The only things I did to the bike performence wise was to replace the cans, rejet and reduce the size of the wastgate hole. They handle pretty well for a eary 80's bike. When not on boost these things are gutless dogs
I had the "power-up" kit installed on mine. It consisted of a plug in the right exhaust with a small hole in it. That allowed it to build more boost pressure. It also used a longer pressure tube that attached to the airbox. It was what triggered the wastegate and was originally plumbed to get pressure right at the turbo. Afterward, it waited until that pressure was in the airbox to open the wastegate.

I also redrilled the timing pickup plate and advanced it a few degrees. Then I had to run premium to keep the pinging to a minimum. Apparently the knock sensor couldn't retard it enough to overcome the amount of advance I introduced.

It did handle very nicely, but that turbo-lag and sudden rush of power could be disconcerting in tight corners. When I rode it over Trail Ridge Road in CO at 12,000 ft, it wouldn't start boosting until 8,000 or so. That was a real pain. I agree, launching it was a nightmare, but if you ever got a running jump on a literbike, he would have a VERY hard time catching up.

But my clutch wouldn't stay intact. I fried one, then put new discs and stronger springs in, and it still wouldn't hold. That's the drawback of the Seca Turbo--it used the same drivetrain as the regular Seca 650. That also limited top speed to 120 or so. It would've gone much faster if it had the gearing. It was also a very comfortable bike. Probably the first real nice sport-tourer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode